Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AndyO
  • 1 Post By jrman83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Finally I got one but ....

Finally I got a new 230s, and she is a beauty. I checked the swash leveled, 0 deg blade pitch at mid stick, and it seems everything is good. But, positive and negative blades distance is not the same. Is that normal for this heli? Heli flies fine tho…..
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Normal pitch curve for throttle hold only has about 6 degrees -ve pitch from what I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lotus 7 likes this.
AndyO is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi:

The simplest way to determine if you have more one way or the other is to put the helicopter in throttle hold, first and foremost. Once you have done that, set the throttle stick to the mid position. Swing both blades so that you can bring the tips close together. If they are on the same plane, nothing needs to be done. If one is high and the other is low, then you will need to adjust all three swash servo links one way or the other so that the blade tips end up on the same level. To check this, hang the blades vertical and towards the ground so that gravity does not have as much effect on where the two blades sit in relationship to each other. This is a fast and somewhat crude way to measure this but it does work. Afterwards, you should have pretty much the same pitch positive and negative, when in Mode 2 and 3. In all modes, full pitch up is always 100% unless you have reset the endpoints. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you explain what method you're using to measure blade pitch? I actually just threw a digital pitch gauge on mine yesterday and found the same thing; unequal pitch at stick endpoints.

For flight mode HOLD (TH on, FM switch set to 3d mode), I set pitch on a 0-100 flat line scale. At full down stick, I get -13.6 and -13.3. At mid stick I get 0.1 and 0.3. At full up stick I get 12.0 and 12.2.

To double check everything, I changed the pitch curve to a solid 50 across the board. same results, 0.1 and 0.3.
Then I changed pitch curve to 100 across the board. same thing, 12.0 and 12.2.
Then pitch curve set to 0 across the board, -13.6 and -13.3.

So the curves are reading and transmitting correctly. But there's obviously more negative pitch than positive pitch, and mid stick is correct for zero and actually a hair positive. So it almost doesn't make sense. I could bring the swash down to add a little positive pitch, but then mid stick would be around 1 degree instead of zero. Not ideal, but at least the pitch spread would be more equal. I haven't decided yet which to do.

And yes, all 3 servos are dead level in neutral position.

Is this similar to what you found?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thx guys. I think so. I dont have a digital pitch guage to measure accurate numbers. TH hold, set pitch to 0-25-50-75-100. Throttle stick at mid-point, swing both blades tips together, they are in same plane.

Push throttle stick all the way up, distance between two blades tips are around 4.25 inch. Push throttle stick all the way down, distance is 3.9 or 4.00 inch. Are they suppose to be same distance?
2005h4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005h4 View Post
thx guys. I think so. I dont have a digital pitch guage to measure accurate numbers. TH hold, set pitch to 0-25-50-75-100. Throttle stick at mid-point, swing both blades tips together, they are in same plane.

Push throttle stick all the way up, distance between two blades tips are around 4.25 inch. Push throttle stick all the way down, distance is 3.9 or 4.00 inch. Are they suppose to be same distance?
Just make sure that the you are in full agility (3D) flight mode. I would say that the pitch, and hence distance between the blade tips, should be the same in positive and negative pitch. I do this with the blade tips over the tail so the feathering shaft is at 90 degrees across the helicopter.

Also make sure that the blades are straight when you look along them. Some of the plastic blades can take on a bit of a set. Finally if you are doing this exercise nip up the blade bolts to take out any slack at the grips but when flying I make sure that the blades are free to rotate in the grips and move without resistance, but not slack.
Allan114 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally, I wouldn't sweat a 1/4" and as long as you have just a tad more positive pitch and not the other way around, I'd would just fly it. You can adjust with manipulation of the radio if you wanted. For this heli, I would just fly. My guess is you won't notice unless you are moving through near full range positive and negative pitch movements.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heli flies great so ¼” I have decided not to mess with it as long as 0 deg pitch at mid stick and 2 blades line up. But there is vibration during spool up. I make sure blades are straight before takeoff but doesn’t help. It’s a brand new heli, shouldn’t be any vibration. Maybe it’s the plastic blades. But overall very satisty with the heli. I really like the simplicity of design. Very easy to access and replace parts.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vibration during spool up is common on many systems. Check blade tightness. Should not be really loose or tight, should only be to the point that if you laid on the side they would not move unless you bumped them. Make sure battery strap is not too tight...what Blade rep has mentioned.
Lotus 7 likes this.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
Can you explain what method you're using to measure blade pitch? I actually just threw a digital pitch gauge on mine yesterday and found the same thing; unequal pitch at stick endpoints.

For flight mode HOLD (TH on, FM switch set to 3d mode), I set pitch on a 0-100 flat line scale. At full down stick, I get -13.6 and -13.3. At mid stick I get 0.1 and 0.3. At full up stick I get 12.0 and 12.2.

To double check everything, I changed the pitch curve to a solid 50 across the board. same results, 0.1 and 0.3.
Then I changed pitch curve to 100 across the board. same thing, 12.0 and 12.2.
Then pitch curve set to 0 across the board, -13.6 and -13.3.

So the curves are reading and transmitting correctly. But there's obviously more negative pitch than positive pitch, and mid stick is correct for zero and actually a hair positive. So it almost doesn't make sense. I could bring the swash down to add a little positive pitch, but then mid stick would be around 1 degree instead of zero. Not ideal, but at least the pitch spread would be more equal. I haven't decided yet which to do.........
Easiest option would be to adjust pitch servo travel in your dxe app. You can adjust either end point to decrease negative, increase positive or a combination of both.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Vibration during spool up is common on many systems. Check blade tightness. Should not be really loose or tight, should only be to the point that if you laid on the side they would not move unless you bumped them. Make sure battery strap is not too tight...what Blade rep has mentioned.
I see. Good to know….. thank you.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Easiest option would be to adjust pitch servo travel in your dxe app. You can adjust either end point to decrease negative, increase positive or a combination of both.
That had crossed my mind. I'm leaving it for now though. More pop when inverted lol
Old 02-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vibration during spool up can be several things. Battery strap too tight, blades not balanced, gear mesh too tight or loose, or could simply be ground resonance which happens when spooling up on a hard surface. Try spooling up on grass and see if it goes away. If it still does it, there's a problem somewhere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in