Can anyone talk me out of a Chronos? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By cyclo
  • 2 Post By kik35
  • 1 Post By RAM
  • 2 Post By Lighty
  • 2 Post By dbirds2
  • 1 Post By MrEmail
  • 1 Post By cbrian4
  • 2 Post By ah_liang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can anyone talk me out of a Chronos?

Alright so I'm itching to buy another 700 heli and the compass has caught my attention. I really enjoy flying my Diabolo; it's very smooth and light and I'll probably keep it forever. But I also kind of feel like it's a "small" 700 in terms of the frame and am looking for something that has a little more meat on it. Something that has a bigger presence.

So with that, what made you guys choose the Chronos, and what do you love about it? Any potential cons? Can you talk me out of it?
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrian4 View Post
Alright so I'm itching to buy another 700 heli and the compass has caught my attention. I really enjoy flying my Diabolo; it's very smooth and light and I'll probably keep it forever. But I also kind of feel like it's a "small" 700 in terms of the frame and am looking for something that has a little more meat on it. Something that has a bigger presence.

So with that, what made you guys choose the Chronos, and what do you love about it? Any potential cons? Can you talk me out of it?
What I love about the Chronos (and 7HVU that came before) is that first, it fly's real well at both high and lower head speeds... It has excellent tail holding even at low head speeds. Second, it is a tough heli and easy to maintain.

Below is a pic of my 7HVUs... On the foreground is one that I just disassembled after a crash due to a static spike. The electronics just blacked out while it was about 150-200 feet above and it fell straight to the ground (blades stopped spinning). As you can see in the pic, the lower frames were cracked along with the tail fin and the battery pin locking the tray got bent out of shape. Both lipos survived though even if they were slightly tacoed (the front more than the rear).

Of course every crash is different especially with a 700 class heli but the Chronos probably will take more punishment than other 700 class helis.

Note too that the Chronos can take a lot of abuse in flight like crazy overspeeds you see in videos.

Finally the Chronos also looks good both on the ground and in the air... In case you have not perused the pics and videos section yet here are a few images of the Chronos:

Ah Clem and Dylan Hudock like this.
Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 5.5 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2
cyclo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, lovely looking heli for sure. I checked out experience rc and see they are out of kits at the moment but I'm surprised at the price. Didn't realize how cheap the kits are compared to other manufacturers!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had nothing but great luck with mine. I got it at the beginning of this past flying season, and have put over 800 flights on it. I have been very surprised at the minimal maintenance it has required, it just keeps on going. In the air, the Chronos flies extremely direct and precise. The geometry of the servo linkages and swash to grip arms makes for great cyclic power. It feels as if it doesn't run out of cyclic authority, while feeling very linear on cyclic commands.

Size wise it is a larger 700, and works great with 710/115mm blades. I can't really come up with any negatives that may stand out, it really is an incredible heli. Overall it is a super simple design. This makes wiring a piece of cake, along with the build and future re-builds.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love mine-so much so that I own two!

One with the stock two-bladed head, and one with the three-bladed head.

As other stated above, the machine is very quick, yet very precise-also very low maintenance.

Excellent machines and my favorite 700 period!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 7HVu, not the Chronos. The one and only downside is that they are quite heavy. The 7HVu is heavy and the Chronos is a fair bit heavier still. But in flight it doesnt seem to make an awful lot of difference and if you are looking for a heli with some 'heft' then it might even be considered a plus.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

i flew my 7hv 3 or four times, freaking loved it, then due to a bad wire from the rx had a small crash on spool up. started looking at some parts and upgrades. ended up getting all the parts to get 7HV off the ground and bought a chronos kit too.

got the one with yellow canopy, couldnt decide so i got the blue canopy too.

i couldnt talk myself out of getting the Chronos
Ah Clem and Goody63 like this.
Nano,270CFX,300CFX,PROTOS 380,ALIGN 500 PRO,500L,470L,550DFC,550X,700L,Goblin 380,380KSE,420,500,570,630,650BT,700 Speed ,Logo 550SX V2,Gaui X3,X3L,X4,X5,X7 Tri-blade,7HV, EXO 500, OXY3,4.Tareq,HDCELL500V2,JUST THE HELIS
kik35 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
RAM
Registered Users

I've had my Chronos for over 2 years and it's by far my favorite heli to fly. It just does everything well and requires very little maintenance. I definitely consider it the Ferrari of my fleet.

As far as weight, my Chronos is a little lighter than my Goblins 700C and it's definitely extremely quick and precise.

Here's my setup:

Stock Motor
VTX 717's & Stock Rotors - for harder flying
KBDD Tails
CC 160A
MKS-HBL950 Cyclics
MKS-HBL980 Rudder
VBar Neo
Receiver pack, no BEC

*1980 HS with VTX 717's, 2100 with stock rotors

I'm not sure where you're located but if you're near Los Angeles I would be happy to give you a demo with my fully stock machine. Let us know if you need any additional info.
Ah Clem likes this.

Compass Field Rep
RAM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

5.5kg ain't heavy lol
It's a mean machine

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk
Ah Clem and cyclo like this.
Lighty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great heli. A little on the heavier side of things. Mine was at 12.5 pounds. They fly great and have a good presence.
Ah Clem and Dylan Hudock like this.
dbirds2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its just freaking awesome. I also have a L700 but I like the Chronos more. It feels if it is build for me. ;-)
cbrian4 likes this.
MrEmail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input! Not too concerned about weight as I already have a light rig. It gets blown around in the wind though so in this case a little extra weight would be a plus. If I was close by, I would definitely take you up on that RAM, alas I'm stuck where it's still snowing I think I'm convinced, just gotta wait for them to restock the kits!
Ah Clem likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Far from the best component quality of the helis Iíve tried, and has some pita design flaws, but it does fly fantastic! Aggressive and snappy
ChopsyWA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopsyWA View Post
Far from the best component quality of the helis Iíve tried, and has some pita design flaws, but it does fly fantastic! Aggressive and snappy
What would be the "pita" design flaws and how could they be corrected?
Thanks! It's a sincere question.

Scott
http://www.experiencerc.com : Making Helicopters Great Again!

dunkonu23 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its lousy .... You can fly without care of any maintenance required. Where is the fun of that.?
Dylan Hudock and cyclo like this.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

this helicopter rips that i can tell you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.