18sz Tx - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Full Montee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 18sz Tx

Recently purchased the 18SZ Tx having used the 14SG for around 5 years. Unfortunately cannot fathom the throttle and pitch curve settings on the 18SZ and the only way I have solved the problem is to copy from the 14SG and t/f to the 18SZ. I do realise that the settings on the 18SZ go from -100 to +100 but cannot work out the input system.
eric Hartley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could you describe what you are having trouble with? Usually you click on the one you want and see double arrows up and down on the screen. The single arrow is for 1 pt the double is either 5 or 10 pts.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Futaba 18SZ

Hi
As well as the different percentages [-100 to +100] the throttle curve screen bares no resemblance to the 14SG which merely lists 1-5 against which you input your figs. for eg. a straight line normal throttle curve would read 0,70,70,70.70. The screen on the 18SZ has 'point','separ','offset','remove','position','rate ', which do you use to say produce the aforementioned curve?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are three ways you can convert throttle settings from the 14SG to the 18SZ.
1. Use the model data converter and use an SD card to bring the model over from the 14SG.
2. Use the servo monitor on both transmitters and compare the throttle output number. The servo monitor numbers are equal on all the Futaba transmitters.
3. Do the math. For example, you mention setting a throttle curve with a value of 70. The value of 70 was the existing setting from the 14SG. 70 - 50 = 20 then 20 x 2 = 40 So the value you would set in the 18SZ is 40. Another example, letís use 30 as the value. 30 - 50 = -20 then -20 x 2 = -40. The value you would set in the 18SZ is -40.

I also made a short video to help with your other question.
Futaba 16SZ 18SZ Throttle Setup for Heli (2 min 44 sec)

Note: this also applies to the 16SZ.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba 18SZ

Hi
Excellent - a picture paints a thousand words. Hopefully I can now programme direct into the Tx. for both throttle and pitch curves as it seemed a bit pointless copying from the 14SG.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I did to simplify things was to choose throttle/ expo 1/ combine then using the arrows up top set rate to 0 that gives a flat line at the middle - 0 or 50% Then Choose offset to raise the flat 'curve' to the value you want.

For my 'normal' mode I like to have 0 with the left stick down so I do points, and choose the 2nd or 3rd point as the next step, then eliminate the others in between so I only change 2 points for setting the normal curve I want. Same as the video.

Pitch is typically not changed at the radio using vbar so not much needs to happen there. However I cheat a bit and add slight positive expo for my lower head speed helis to keep the 'hover' both inverted and right side up stick positions similar to the higher head speed helis or the position I'm used to. The 16/18sz is much easier to do this with compared to the 14sg
Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be sure to go through and check all your settings if your converting.
I had a few of mine convert fine, but a few ended up with 25% more expo in the SZ radio for rudder aileron and elevator. Not sure why some did that and others did not. Felt it on my first hover, then looked in the sg to verify and no expo on any models.

IT gets wonky or really soft if you have 20 in the vbar and 20 in the radio.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba 18SZ

Hi
The nightmare continues! am attempting to input dual rates and expo. and rudder gyro which takes minutes only on the 14SG. So far have disabled the rudder stick (J4)! again it is possible to merely copy on the sd card and t/f but would rather input directly into the 18SZ. Who on earth wrote the manual?
Old 03-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Eric,

I will happily make another video when I get home this evening.
Quick question
Do you want your DR/Expo to change when you flip from normal/Idle Up/Hold or do you want DR/Expo on a separate switch?
jwatts007 likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this radio is easier than the 14sg probably because it is very similar to the 14mz I had for years.

Once you get used to it you will find it much easier than the sg.

Have you taken the time to go through and read the manual? My wife thinks I'm crazy because I'm always reading a manual on something. I went through it and found neat options to tweak.

Many if not All functions can be put on a switch slider or gimbal. The --- turns the function off in most if not all screens where you choose. Might be what happened to your tail or gyro. For the tail control be sure the function channel has your stick selected, if it went away with dual rate you may have set the rate to 0

Good luck

Last edited by smittylube; 03-14-2018 at 11:50 PM..
smittylube is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 01:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As promised another short video.
I show setting up Dual Rates and Expo using both conditions and a dedicated switch.
Futaba 16SZ 18SZ Dual Rates & Expo (4 min 23 sec)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba 18SZ

Another great video - solved my problem in no time. I think you should do a series on programming the 18SZ/16SZ,
Old 03-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This video may help a few as well.
It is about the "Condition Hold" feature that Futaba has implemented on the higher end transmitters.

18SZ Condition Hold (8 min 7 sec)
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Strongly suggest you get the 16sz/18sz e-book by Macolm Holt

https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-18SZ-P.../dp/B078HYQYKN

Itís FW focused but a thorough read will make clear how the condition based programming works. Many elements of the programming wonít completely make sense until you understand conditions.
, Futaba 18SZ
jharkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.