Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Incredibly Stupid Mistake

I've struggled with whether or not to post this, but if putting my pride in my back pocket will keep someone else from doing something that's as equally stupid as what I just did, then I guess I owe everyone here who has helped me at least that much...

I needed to change a setting in my ESC, so I put my 470LP on the table next to my computer. The first step to changing a setting in the Align ESC is to move the throttle to 100% on the transmitter. You then plug the battery into the ESC and wait for the conformation tone. You then lower the throttle to the bottom.

I've done this countless times without a problem, but something went wrong this time.

I followed the above steps, but when I went to move the throttle to zero, the motor started - just long enough to knock the helicopter off the table.

No, I had not removed the main blades... Yeah, I know, I know...

The damage to the helicopter appears to be a couple of what I hope are superficial nicks at the base of both rotor blades (opinions on that, please), and two broken servo horns. I can't find any other damage, but I'm concerned that perhaps the feathering shaft is bent???

The worst damage is a destroyed $450 ultra-high definition IPS computer monitor.

I'll lick my wounds, try to stop shaking, learn my lesson, fix the helicopter, and replace the monitor, if and when I can afford it. And keep trying to tell myself it could have been much worse...

mgilbert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh man, I am really sorry to hear this. But at least no one was hurt.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilbert View Post
.......... And keep trying to tell myself it could have been much worse...
So True, just remember. it's only money and not permanent physical damage to yourself or other.

Glad you're OK!
mgilbert likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as the blades go, they don't look bad. Might just put a bit of epoxy on them just in case. But I've seen worse.
mgilbert likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you're ok. We've ALL learned valuable lessons in this hobby the hard way. Anybody that says otherwise is likely fooling themselves as well as others, lol. My hard lessons have been with charging batteries.

While I have not had a large heli spool up on me, it's happened on a micro and is still enough to make you realize blades on while bench testing is not a good idea. I generally keep my ESC/Motor wires handy enough so I can unplug 2 of 3 when the blades need to stay on.

Important part is learning from the mistake and ensuring you take proper precautions next time. Too bad about the monitor and commend you on posting your accident.
mgilbert likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had basically the same thing happen to me about a year ago while programming an esc. I also had done it many times without issue. For whatever reason this time it started spooling and I had to reach under the fan of a 500 and unplug the ec5 while it was spooling up. Mains got me across the forearm/upper arm but it could have been much worse. Was very bruised and sore for a long time. The heli tipped, hit my toolbox lid and cut a fat sharpie marker in half. Lesson learned. Now I always take the mains and tails off before doing anything with the esc or tx.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fair play to you for sharing your experience, hopefully you found it cathartic, I know I have when I’ve done daft things before!

As others have said, the main thing is you’re ok and that you can go forward with knowledge learned from experience - the best kind lol

Those notches don’t look too bad, the result of pinching the grips so close to the pivot point I’d imagine, so probably not a big issue, but others more knowledgable than me might disagree,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't worry about it. Its not that big of a deal.
I had a 700 start up on me on the bench while programming years ago.
I quickly grabbed it and ripped the battery plug apart, but not before the tail swung around and smashed my glasses off my face and gave me a bloody nose.
It happens when we're learning. Sorry about the monitor, but possessions can be replaced!
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW, those nicks are just that in those blades. A non-issue.

I get those all the time when I botch a dismount auto and get a tipover and the blades fold back in the grips.
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilbert View Post
I've struggled with whether or not to post this, but if putting my pride in my back pocket will keep someone else from doing something that's as equally stupid as what I just did, then I guess I owe everyone here who has helped me at least that much...
Good on you for setting your pride aside. We all have made dumb mistakes and this post may save someone a serious injury. Thank you for doing it.

Every time I think about how much of a chore it is to remove the mains and tails... I glance down at my fingers and think how much I enjoy them being attached to my hands.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch, sorry man. Glad you're OK, sucks about the monitor though.

Best to always unplug the motor when programming anything in the ESC or FBL, for this exact reason.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
Ouch, sorry man. Glad you're OK, sucks about the monitor though.

Best to always unplug the motor when programming anything in the ESC or FBL, for this exact reason.
That all sounds like a good idea, however you need to be able to hear the beeps from the motor when doing stick programming. So unplugging the motor won't work. Removing main and tail blades is always the best idea.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Helicopters, monitors, etc....
All replaceable.
Personal injury not so much so.
Yes, you can beat yourself up over silly mistakes, but you take away a very important lesson.
These " toys " can be very dangerous.
One lapse in a safety precaution could change your life for ever or worse someone else.
Most here have had silly mishaps in one form or another all (hopefully) learn from them.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sharing these stories help to get over it.

We have all done stupid things... No matter how careful we try to be it happens to the best of us. Don't worry you are in good company.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad your ok,

Better to learn mistakes with the smaller helis.

sactownhobby.com
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad youre ok, thats the stuff emergency room visits are made of, or worse.
Material stuff can be replaced, you not so much. Thanks for sharing.

DX8 GEN 1, Phoenix R/C 5.5 ,Hyperion 720i DUO w/ MW 600 PS,Trex 250 se, Trex 150X, mCPXv1, mSRX, mSR, Walkera 4G#6S , Blade SR, Trex 470LM
prairie ville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Incredibly Stupid Mistake

Sharing your misfortune with others may prevent someone else for doing the same thing that may turn out worse than your mistake. I will soon being bench testing a 600. This thread was a reminded to me to leave the blades off during testing.
motoxxxman likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing your experience mgilbert. Remember, there are a lot of new folks in the hobby (myself included) in this forum that can learn from these experiences if you guys share them. I have told my son many times that I share my stupid mistakes with him so hopefully he won't repeat them, and I hope that he is listening.
Let'sFly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
That all sounds like a good idea, however you need to be able to hear the beeps from the motor when doing stick programming. So unplugging the motor won't work. Removing main and tail blades is always the best idea.
You could also back the motor pinion from the main gear if your heli has that option.

sactownhobby.com
Thickfog likes this.
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nicks are harmless, you can fill them with some black epoxy paint if you like though. I have a pair of 700 blades with similar nicks and I have no idea how they got there, I just noticed them one day. Might have happened when I had the blade grip bolts too lose and the blades lagged behind the grips on spoolup. Annoying but at least they were B surface Halo blades that I got for $60 on sale.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in