Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Drift / Blow Out After a Few Crashes

Hello all, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I've been flying my XK K110 exclusively for a little over a year now, mainly just sport flying and circuits in all orientations in 6G stabilizing mode due to space limitations. Over the past few weeks, I've been going out to a big grass field and brushing up on my idle up / sport 3D. Up until 2 weeks ago, I had never crashed the K110. The first crash was when I lost orientation in idle up, and hit throttle hold right after I hit the ground - no damage, flew fine afterwards.

Now here comes the stupid. A few weekends ago I was at a family get together / party and had had several strong craft beers. I decided this was obviously the opportune time to start learning smack 3D in my parents (grass) back yard. This predictably didn't go well, at all, and I stuffed it into the tall grass probably 4 or 5 times before realizing 6 IPA's hadn't magically transformed me into Tareq Al Saadi, but rather Dumbthumb Drunkie.

Since then, the tail is blowing out unpredictably, then coming back around when I punch out then let off in idle up mode. It also tends to drift unpredictably while flying circuits. I replaced the slightly warped main gear which was causing some vibration at a certain head speed, and otherwise it's flying fine in terms of smoothness, just the tail has a mind of its own when I flip it inverted and during large power increases - is it the main board you think, or should I try to swap in a new tail boom and motor?

The moral of the story is - stick to RC cars / trucks when drinking with friends and family. They remain fun and predictable. Helis, not so much
brad24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad24 View Post
Hello all, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I've been flying my XK K110 exclusively for a little over a year now, mainly just sport flying and circuits in all orientations in 6G stabilizing mode due to space limitations. Over the past few weeks, I've been going out to a big grass field and brushing up on my idle up / sport 3D. Up until 2 weeks ago, I had never crashed the K110. The first crash was when I lost orientation in idle up, and hit throttle hold right after I hit the ground - no damage, flew fine afterwards.

Now here comes the stupid. A few weekends ago I was at a family get together / party and had had several strong craft beers. I decided this was obviously the opportune time to start learning smack 3D in my parents (grass) back yard. This predictably didn't go well, at all, and I stuffed it into the tall grass probably 4 or 5 times before realizing 6 IPA's hadn't magically transformed me into Tareq Al Saadi, but rather Dumbthumb Drunkie.

Since then, the tail is blowing out unpredictably, then coming back around when I punch out then let off in idle up mode. It also tends to drift unpredictably while flying circuits. I replaced the slightly warped main gear which was causing some vibration at a certain head speed, and otherwise it's flying fine in terms of smoothness, just the tail has a mind of its own when I flip it inverted and during large power increases - is it the main board you think, or should I try to swap in a new tail boom and motor?

The moral of the story is - stick to RC cars / trucks when drinking with friends and family. They remain fun and predictable. Helis, not so much

A bent spindle could cause that when you are applying a lot of collective or pitch. Same thing happened to me.

Take off the main blades and turn clockwise the screw securing the main blade grip to the spindle. As the spindle rotates, if the blade grips start to move around, itís time to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yu16b is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I took the whole head assembly apart and the spindle wasn't bent at all. Replaced the main blades, the wobbly main gear, the tail blade, and it still drifts to the right on hard throttle up, and comes back to the left on throttle down - looks like its either a tail motor, or more likely, the ESC. Rather than replace the tail boom assembly, and then have to replace the ESC, I guess I'll just buy a new BNF model and keep the old one for parts... that or upgrade to a K120
brad24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.