Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lynx Ultra Frame and CF Tail Boom Question

Good morning all,

A rainy weekend in Florida so time to do some building.

I have a B450X with Lynx Ultra Frame that I am getting ready to install my first Lynx CF extended tail boom. I have never used a CF boom, but wanted to see how they stand up in a crash compared to my aluminum tail booms.

For the Lynx Ultra Frame, there is an aluminum bushing (insert), 1/4" in length that goes into the aluminum tail boom before it is inserted into the boom mounts in the frame. The user manual for the frame says this bushing is to "add structure" to the tail boom. It fits nicely into the aluminum tail boom. Unfortunately, it does not fit into the CF tail boom.

With a very small hobby knife, I slightly beveled the internal edge of the CF boom to see if that would allow me to slide the bushing inside the frame. I was able to insert an extremely small part of the bushing into the CF boom, but I am afraid that I will break the boom if I attempt to put it all the way in. The small portion that I was able to insert made the CF tail boom look to distorted or to spread out at the end. The first thought most men would have is to push with slightly more authority to get it in. I have never had a problem like this in the past, when I could not get it in, but I do not want to break it since I only have one!

No, I have not tried lube, but I do not think in this case, it would be a good solution!

Is it ok to leave out the bushing? Will this decrease the integrity of the tail boom and make it more prone to failure?

Sorry if I have put this post in the wrong Forum. I was torn between Lynx and B450X, but I thought it was more 450X related.

Thank you for your comments.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5069.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	743925  
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Lynx frame, but I'm using the Blade std. length CF boom. I do recall that the bushing fit, but will double check this evening.

Kellee Patterson - If It Don't Fit Don't Force It.wmv (5 min 3 sec)
Tim Wolff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both My 450X-L's are using the Lynx stretch aluminum booms from the kits...(last 2 at TmkaRcHobby)

No bushings included that I noticed
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Opps...

Just found a Lynx CF Stretch Boom (NIP) w/bushing...

It fits perfectly inside the MF boom end...designed to avoid crushing the CF when inserted into the boom clamp

Guess I have no choice now but to start a 5th 450X build...will be My 3rd 450X-L

Lots of parts missing...this one might need to be used as a rekit in case of catastrophic failure
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Confirmed that I'm using the bushing with a Lynx frame and Blade CF boom. Pretty sure it all fit together w/o forcing anything.

If the O.D. of your CF boom is the same as stock, then it has a thicker wall and may not need the bushing. Perhaps an email to Lynx would tell you if you need the bushing or not.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you both for some good comments. After reading JonJet's comments about a bushing coming with his CF boom, I had to open my other 3 Lynx Ultra Frames to see if there was a bushing in each one. I confirmed there was, so maybe at one time, the came with the Ultra Frames and also with the CF booms.

The bushing fits nicely inside all of my aluminum booms, but not in the Lynx CF boom, so there might have been some manufacturer variations. I might have to use a Dremel sanding tool that fits inside the CF boom and shave a little off the inside. The OD is the same as the aluminum booms, but have not checked the inside.

Sure do wish that Lynx would make more of their products for the B450X, but that horse left the gate a few years ago. I should have gotten more spares! Actually the only thing I wish I had has a Red Devil Lynx Swashplate. I have Red Devil frame, head, and tail, but no swash. Now I am going to have to be color uncoordinated.

Thanks for your comments guys!

steve
Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue22 View Post
Thank you both for some good comments. After reading JonJet's comments about a bushing coming with his CF boom, I had to open my other 3 Lynx Ultra Frames to see if there was a bushing in each one. I confirmed there was, so maybe at one time, the came with the Ultra Frames and also with the CF booms.

The bushing fits nicely inside all of my aluminum booms, but not in the Lynx CF boom, so there might have been some manufacturer variations. I might have to use a Dremel sanding tool that fits inside the CF boom and shave a little off the inside. The OD is the same as the aluminum booms, but have not checked the inside.

Sure do wish that Lynx would make more of their products for the B450X, but that horse left the gate a few years ago. I should have gotten more spares! Actually the only thing I wish I had has a Red Devil Lynx Swashplate. I have Red Devil frame, head, and tail, but no swash. Now I am going to have to be color uncoordinated.

Thanks for your comments guys!

steve
I hear ya Steve...

Sadly...Lynx Heli Innovations has all but left the heli upgrade community high and dry...in favor of another direction

Which a major heli mfg'r provided the incentive for

I've got a couple MicroHeli CF 450X frames...(300X/CFX too) and they seem to be just as good thus far other than the fact that they pre-dated the KST215 servo
Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lynx may do a run of the 450x parts for the 330x (because it is basically the same heli) if it sticks around for a while. I don't understand why it was even released when there's a 3s 360 CFX? Probably someone found a boatload of the 450x frames in a warehouse somewhere
Old 04-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post

Sadly...Lynx Heli Innovations has all but left the heli upgrade community high and dry...in favor of another direction
Tim, I know what you mean, but realistically, I think JonJet is right on this one. I understand it too, since now Lynx has a very successful business with the OXY product line. You can only spread yourself and your financial resources so far, and old models, like our B450X or other no longer produced products just can't pay the bills. I am happy that Lynx produced their wide variety of upgrades for so long. I just wish that I would have had more foresight and purchased more of their stuff before "POOF" most of it was gone.

I also see that HH in their online Parts Section, for some time now has the B450X plastic frame listed as "no longer available". Also, even stranger, the 330X parts section does not even list the frame as a part to be ordered. Hopefully the average 450 parts will last me a while longer as I prepare myself for bigger and meaner helicopters!

The good news however for heavy HH users is that soon, when the 480X is released, it may give them a much needed shot in the arm for their heli market.

I just need longer weekends and more time to build, crash, rinse, and repeat!

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in