Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

View Poll Results: Fusion 480 choices
I want a bnf 21 30.88%
I want a super combo, all electronics included 21 30.88%
I want a bare bones kit 15 22.06%
Im not interested in the 480 at all 11 16.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuser View Post
I wonder if they didnít discontinue products so quickly, or keep parts stocked for a long time afterwards, if they would be more popular. Was it some of there previous 500+ sizes that parts were obsolete and people were stuck with a paper weight? I know HH/blade did start making gears for one of those models recently.
Yup they discontinued all models that were larger than the current 360cfx model. Which funny enough is also discontinued now too as of recently. As of right now, the largest heli still in production is the fusion 270.

And yes, the 500 is the one they just started making gears for again because the demand and outrage was insanely high.

I personally am a fan of Blade. But I also came into the hobby after they discontinued all the larger models, so I wasn't around for that whirlwind. I'm looking forward to seeing how they go from here on out with the introduction of this 480. And I do plan to get one if the price isn't insane.

From everything I've gathered, it seems Blade doesn't always make the best choices in the eyes of the customers [over time]. BUT, they DO LISTEN to customer requests. Like the reproduction of the 500 gears. And the desire for larger models again. And the options requested for new models. It is a tough industry, that's for sure. And their customer support is excellent in my eyes
rcuser likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure why they wouldn't consider a BNF option as they are known for that in the first place. Offering it in all aspects of the field to gain interest of everybody would be the smart move. Kit, Super Combo and BNF. I hope they see the poll, take note and push for the BNF. Having recently jumped back into the hobby I purchased a 230s and most recently a 360cfx 3s for the simple fact that they were BNF. I currently dont have the time (working full time plus running a business and trying to get in family time) to sit there, build a bird plus figure out the programming. BNF is just a great want to enjoy the hobby that much more. My $.02
joeyhatch11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2018, 03:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Haters will always hate...

Fanboys will always be fanboys...

But nobody in their right mind will say that Blade/HH has not done the R/C hobby good...even the handful that have never bought a new one

I've been disappointed with recent offerings as voiced in other threads...but I will always try any model that appeals to me
The biggest problem with this whole hobby is EGO.

I have lost count of the number of people who have ventured into helis only to be attacked by the "you have to build it or you are not worthy" and the "SAFE/rescue is for losers and if you want that then I do not want you in my club/on my field".

I have a good friend who owns a hobby shop and has has several people come in to buy drones after destroying several "kit helis" that the "experts" told him he needs.
Some are convinced to try something like a 230S and are saved going on to continue in the hobby while the majority end up in the drone camp and tell everyone they meet how helis are rubbish and should be avoided.

This place is full of egotistical narcissists who attack anyone who is not "pure blood" as they believe they are.

I have SAFE on everything, from the 230 up to the 550. Why? Because when it all turns to crap I can turn it on and save my $thousands invested.

It is like a spare tire and auto insurance. I can go for years needing neither but I will always have them......

I, personally, do no like kits. Assembly is a pain in the neck and more than one of mine has been assembled by someone else.
I do repair them, mostly, unless I have done extreme damage.

I like Blade because they are plug and play but in the big picture, and I am being very concise here, if I have to assemble it then there are a lot of other types that feature interchangeability of parts with previous versions and factory supported extensions which would be a better option.
e.g. My Logo 550 2017 model can be a 600 or a 690 using factory parts should I choose to change it. I won't though as I don't like kits.
My Gaui and Protos are also both stretched to 360.
On the other hand all of my Blades are basically standard other than a bit of bling.

The focus of my point is that Blade is, at this time, the absolute market leader in the ab initio to average sport/basic 3D pilot arena which is something that the others are just getting into.

It is ironic that Blade are moving away from assisted flight modes in their FBLs when Align, Protos, Gaui, Mikado etc. are all now offering it as either an option or standard.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

If electronics included should be pre programmed
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helitack32f1 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that Blade cannot win. It seems to me that through the recent years, everyone has said "We want kit helicopters!".
Now, they have said they will be doing this as a kit and everyone comes out of the woodwork to say they want a BNF, which is what everyone seemed to be against!

Next, they will come out and say they are going to do everything from bare bones kit to BNF and people will complain that there are too many choices.
I think this will always seem to be the case with Blade. Some they brought on themselves, some not.

My personal feelings with a heli this size coming in a BNF are safety related. The 360 size is about where the danger level stops with minor ER visit or at home bandage. But a heli this size can be that and further to a morgue. Nothing against anyone who doesn't want to build or learn to build, but this is a size heli that can cause you serious harm if it is not built and setup correctly. Buying it as a BNF puts the onus on Blade to make sure that they are all safe. Not to say that it couldn't happen. I just think that the avg person buying a BNF heli today lacks the experience to be able to safely go through the heli to make sure of a few simple items to make sure they are safe flying it. Maybe not the ones that come here and post, but Blade has said that HF only represents a very small percentage of their customers.

Aside from that, offering as a kit allows the people who like Blade and want to stay with them the ability to do so and continue moving forward with the whole heli experience and build a kit. There will always be the ones that don't want a kit, but if it was offered in a kit even those that have moved on to kits could be enticed to buy the Blade kit as they would any other. I don't buy Blade anymore because the BNF electronics are where they always fail. It is very rare you see a frame issue although the plastic ones are pretty weak. I have bought a 360cfx bare frame and built it with my own choice of electronics and it flew on par with most I owned with matched reliability of all the pieces I put in it. I would consider this heli if it were priced well - as a kit.
helitack32f1 likes this.

Oxy 2/3/4/5; P380; Logo 700; DX9
Lynx Heli Innovations Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just wondering if you built your car or motorcycle?

Apart from that, which would be safer; a BNF 480 or a 480 assembled by someone who did a very bad job?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:52 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

Apart from that, which would be safer; a BNF 480 or a 480 assembled by someone who did a very bad job?
I built my entire car, my entire jeep, and my entire motorcycle.

I trust my assembly more than someone getting paid to do it as quickly as possible. 9 times out of 10 [with proper assembly instructions] the owner will do a better job assembling a heli than a production line, even first-timers
FR4-Pilot likes this.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Relevence?
I was taught how to drive my car and had to prove I was capable of driving it before I got a license to do so on my own. Apart from killing someone else with it, there are MANY safety features built into it that protect me. Name one safety feature beyond experience that protects people flying helis capable of killing you. While you're at it, show me the license you need to fly it. I don't even want to talk about motorcylces. You better have experinece before you buy one or you will likely crash within a short period and who knows how much injury you would have.

If you build it and set it up you are forced to lean things that help you better understand how the thing flies and likely have a decent amount of experience to even attempt it. I will even go further and say you will NOT be able to do it if you don't have a decent amount of experience. This puts you light years ahead of just anyone thinking a BNF 500 sized heli would be cool to fly and they get it home and charge a pack and it is all set to rip the sky in just minutes and all can be done with just a few minutes of experience. YOU may have bought a first heli in the 100 size and FP to learn to fly and worked up, but that is not something checked when you select "add to cart".

The majority of the people posting here, yourself included, may not have an issue. But if someone came here for the first time and talked about getting their first heli and wanted the 480, would you just say go for it? Or, would you recommend something smaller and safer to get some experience? Now what about the person that doesn't come here and ask and just decides they want to fly helis one day?
motoxxxman likes this.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for supporting my point.

You did not need to know how to build a car and you did not build yours.

Your car has all the safety features such as anti lock braking, power steering crumple zones, airbags. automatic transmission etc.

These are no different from SAFE and rescue.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you for supporting my point.

You did not need to know how to build a car and you did not build yours.

Your car has all the safety features such as anti lock braking, power steering crumple zones, airbags. automatic transmission etc.

These are no different from SAFE and rescue.
well for starters, yes there is a big difference. And yes I did build all 3 from the ground up. And no mine don't have any of those safety features. You're not understanding the point at all.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
well for starters, yes there is a big difference. And yes I did build all 3 from the ground up. And no mine don't have any of those safety features. You're not understanding the point at all.
No I understand perfectly.

Anyone who is not as awesome as you think you are should not be flying anything other than tiny toys.

As I stated earlier the biggest problem with the whole heli arena is the giant egos.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Anyone who is not as awesome as you think you are should not be flying anything other than tiny toys.

As I stated earlier the biggest problem with the whole heli arena is the giant egos.
lol, briallant deduction. I will just remove myself from the conversation with you since you think it is ego related. And you also left out how you need a license to operate a car and have to prove you are qualified to drive it before you get it.
motoxxxman likes this.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:28 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I did want to ask you a question though...take a look at the 270F forum and read some of the stuff going on there (tipovers, first time CP heli, etc - lack of experience related stuff) and tell me if you think the danger of things like that would be worse or the same with a 480? Or, if someone completely new to helis or even CP helis (like in the 270F forum) wanted to get the 480 as a first ever heli and came here asking for thoughts or recommendations, would you tell them good idea or suggest possibly they start smaller?

Old 05-01-2018, 05:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
I did want to ask you a question though...take a look at the 270F forum and read some of the stuff going on there (tipovers, first time CP heli, etc - lack of experience related stuff) and tell me if you think the danger of things like that would be worse or the same with a 480? Or, if someone completely new to helis or even CP helis (like in the 270F forum) wanted to get the 480 as a first ever heli and came here asking for thoughts or recommendations, would you tell them good idea or suggest possibly they start smaller?
Oh FFS, When did I ever say that a 480 would be a good first heli or even a second heli. Of course staring with a small heli is a better idea.

My point was that helis are expensive and as you have so rightly pointed out extremely dangerous.
With the addition of rescue and SAFE if, for any reason, control is lost then the extremely dangerous out of control upside down high speed heli can be turned into a meek and mild right way up slow heli saving both itself and any potential victims.

Even Tareq Alsadi occasionally crashes.

But then there are still super heroes who drive without seatbelts, anti lock brakes, power steering etc.even though they have a drivers license.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well then you agree with my only point. A 480 is not and probably should not be a heli that just anyone can grab and fly - without any type of experience. However, making it a BNF kind of makes it that way, right?

If your point was about SAFE and/or rescue then you missed the point as someone else pointed out. What has that to do with ego, though? Nearly ALL modern FBLs, not ones in the Blade world, have these features. Using them is flyer's choice, but they nearly all come with them. I personally have used rescue MANY times and still plan to when needed. If you think there is ego related to that maybe you should branch out a bit. Some like having it, others don't or would rather conduct other rotuines. No real ego issue at all, IMO.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
But then there are still super heroes who drive without seatbelts, anti lock brakes, power steering etc.even though they have a drivers license.
I know this was directed at me, but you never mentioned seatbelts before. Just saying.

Back to the point. Almost all beginners start by buying a BNF as their first heli. If the 480 is available as a BNF there will surely be a LOT of people who buy the 480 as their first heli, because almost anywhere you look you'll find people saying larger heli's are easier to fly. And most beginners are over excited and want something awesome over something practical. And also want something they can grow into, not outgrow in just a couple weeks.
The point we were making was that if the heli needs to be assembled, it will deter beginners from buying it as their first heli. Sure, some experienced pilots don't like to build and would love to buy a BNF 480. But if they don't like to build, why be in the hobby at all? Crashes require rebuilding.
The other point being made is that pre-assembled heli's are not always trustworthy. In fact, it's extremely rare that they are set up absolutely flawlessly. If every BNF heli was set up flawlessly, price would be outrageous due to assembly/test labor time. With smaller heli's, it's not a big deal from a lawyer's point of view, because injury/damage to property is rare from a micro if it doesn't work as it should due to improper assembly/setup. Beginners pull the BNF heli out of the box and fly it. Experienced pilots pull the BNF heli out of the box and fly it. On rare occasions, the purchaser will go over it top to bottom before first flight, and often find errors. If a 480 is available as a BNF, most will just go straight to flying it. If a catastrophe happens from improper setup/assembly, the manufacturer is to blame. For anyone who builds the heli from a kit, they will usually take all the time needed to make sure it's assembled and set up properly before first flight, having a huge impact on the likelihood of a catastrophe due to improper setup/assembly.

Using your analogy of who builds their own car/truck/motorcycle, and my reply of I did. Look at it this way. All of my vehicles are performance oriented. They're built for specific purposes. With high performance in that purpose. Regular vehicles are assembled at the factory, and beginners buy them all the time. But regular vehicles are not intended for racing or other performance things. They are designed to be safe, and slow. And they cost a lot. This is considering quality manufacturers. Then consider low quality vehicles. Usually the low quality is not the parts, but the poor engineering, or poor assembly. Then factor in a purpose built racecar. Can a kid in Malaysia assemble a brake system for a stock everyday 200hp passenger car that never sees over 70mph and be trusted? Sure, probably. But my racecar? Could a kid in Malaysia be trusted to assemble my ENTIRE racecar capable of 180mph, breathtaking acceleration, precision steering, high reliability, stopping on a dime, neck breaking handling, and being lightest weight possible while still balancing in specific safety factors designed for those speeds, all being rushed through assembly to keep costs as low as possible? Heck no, I'm not risking my life or anybody else's life by blindly buying something such as that. If I build it myself, I know it was built with attention to detail, and a much much higher level of quality control to ensure everything is as it should be.

So back on point. If something so dangerous as the 480 is rushed through assembly/setup to keep customers happy by keeping cost down, imagine the number of injuries and damage reports that would be blamed on the manufacturer. Not good, not good at all for the manufacturer. It'd be like Hyundai selling a Lamborghini for under $40k to a 17yr old who can't even parallel park let alone judge following distance properly on city streets and expecting there to be zero issues.
In short, if Blade doesn't want to make a BNF version, I don't blame them. It's a huge gamble that probably wouldn't end well. Sure, some experienced pilots may be annoyed at it. But as a whole, just sit and think about it for a minute.

Look at it another way: you find a craiglist add for a honda civic racecar for $3,000, claiming 150mph and 500hp, "needs nothing". Would you buy it and immediately drive it to the racetrack and do some illegal street racing on the way to the track, endangering yourself and everyone in the vicinity based on the trust of the purchase? No. If you want that kind of car you can trust on a budget, you buy a cheap one, tear the entire thing down, and build it from the ground up, because then you can actually trust it if you were in charge of the entire process.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with what's been said about factory pre-assembly, safety and Q.C. concerns. I'll admit to cautiously flying small simple micros that are RTF, BNF, etc. right out of the box. Anything larger (without an all-in-one control board basically) I'll tear down and re-assemble from the ground up. I always find at least one thing that needs attention IMO. Where I live half the year is cold and crappy so building/tinkering is a good way to stay involved when flying isn't an option for long periods of time. I much prefer flying to building though.

I've got nothing against SAFE/Rescue, but it too can work to your disadvantage at times. Accidentally switch into a flight mode where SAFE is enabled while practicing low altitude inverted circuits and you'll know what I'm talking about When not all of your helis have it, and you're intensely focused on something it's easy to forget this one does have it, and then it's just a matter of time ... I'll own it - my bad, but still.

Kit or Super-Combo for me.

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 05-01-2018 at 01:26 PM..
FR4-Pilot is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 03:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
I know this was directed at me, but you never mentioned seatbelts before. Just saying.

Back to the point. Almost all beginners start by buying a BNF as their first heli. If the 480 is available as a BNF there will surely be a LOT of people who buy the 480 as their first heli, because almost anywhere you look you'll find people saying larger heli's are easier to fly. And most beginners are over excited and want something awesome over something practical. And also want something they can grow into, not outgrow in just a couple weeks.
The point we were making was that if the heli needs to be assembled, it will deter beginners from buying it as their first heli. Sure, some experienced pilots don't like to build and would love to buy a BNF 480. But if they don't like to build, why be in the hobby at all? Crashes require rebuilding.
The other point being made is that pre-assembled heli's are not always trustworthy. In fact, it's extremely rare that they are set up absolutely flawlessly. If every BNF heli was set up flawlessly, price would be outrageous due to assembly/test labor time. With smaller heli's, it's not a big deal from a lawyer's point of view, because injury/damage to property is rare from a micro if it doesn't work as it should due to improper assembly/setup. Beginners pull the BNF heli out of the box and fly it. Experienced pilots pull the BNF heli out of the box and fly it. On rare occasions, the purchaser will go over it top to bottom before first flight, and often find errors. If a 480 is available as a BNF, most will just go straight to flying it. If a catastrophe happens from improper setup/assembly, the manufacturer is to blame. For anyone who builds the heli from a kit, they will usually take all the time needed to make sure it's assembled and set up properly before first flight, having a huge impact on the likelihood of a catastrophe due to improper setup/assembly.

Using your analogy of who builds their own car/truck/motorcycle, and my reply of I did. Look at it this way. All of my vehicles are performance oriented. They're built for specific purposes. With high performance in that purpose. Regular vehicles are assembled at the factory, and beginners buy them all the time. But regular vehicles are not intended for racing or other performance things. They are designed to be safe, and slow. And they cost a lot. This is considering quality manufacturers. Then consider low quality vehicles. Usually the low quality is not the parts, but the poor engineering, or poor assembly. Then factor in a purpose built racecar. Can a kid in Malaysia assemble a brake system for a stock everyday 200hp passenger car that never sees over 70mph and be trusted? Sure, probably. But my racecar? Could a kid in Malaysia be trusted to assemble my ENTIRE racecar capable of 180mph, breathtaking acceleration, precision steering, high reliability, stopping on a dime, neck breaking handling, and being lightest weight possible while still balancing in specific safety factors designed for those speeds, all being rushed through assembly to keep costs as low as possible? Heck no, I'm not risking my life or anybody else's life by blindly buying something such as that. If I build it myself, I know it was built with attention to detail, and a much much higher level of quality control to ensure everything is as it should be.

So back on point. If something so dangerous as the 480 is rushed through assembly/setup to keep customers happy by keeping cost down, imagine the number of injuries and damage reports that would be blamed on the manufacturer. Not good, not good at all for the manufacturer. It'd be like Hyundai selling a Lamborghini for under $40k to a 17yr old who can't even parallel park let alone judge following distance properly on city streets and expecting there to be zero issues.
In short, if Blade doesn't want to make a BNF version, I don't blame them. It's a huge gamble that probably wouldn't end well. Sure, some experienced pilots may be annoyed at it. But as a whole, just sit and think about it for a minute.

Look at it another way: you find a craiglist add for a honda civic racecar for $3,000, claiming 150mph and 500hp, "needs nothing". Would you buy it and immediately drive it to the racetrack and do some illegal street racing on the way to the track, endangering yourself and everyone in the vicinity based on the trust of the purchase? No. If you want that kind of car you can trust on a budget, you buy a cheap one, tear the entire thing down, and build it from the ground up, because then you can actually trust it if you were in charge of the entire process.
Well my car was built in a factory and has done many miles on the road at over 130MPH. But then I am not in USA and we don't have the same problems you have. We have only two states that are smaller than Texas.

Apart from that anyone can buy all sorts of large helis on ebay. Some well made, others not so much.
You assume that everyone who assembles kits does it to a high standard.
Apart form that there are lots of people who will assemble a kit for you.

I went to a different club last weekend to watch a few VERY good pilots. Almost all were flying Mikado and some were doing all sorts of 3D stunts.

Almost all had VBAR NEO with VControl and had rescue/safe firmware.
Their reasoning was the same as mine. You do not have to use it but if you need it to save the heli then it was a good idea.

This is the core of my point. I own a lot of Blade equipment. As I have bought bigger helis I have gone away from Blade as they did not offer the rescue/safe on anything larger than a 250CFX.
Meanwhile Align, Gaui, Protos and Mikado etc. all offer it.
It is an option, it does not need to ever be activated.

Which brings me back to my original position. If it is not available then I have no interest in buying it. Story ends.

What Blade do is up to them. I know most people are not like me but then most people are not like you either.
Why do you think you have the right to tell other people what they must buy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in