Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default k110 Gyro and Calibration

Once I learned how to properly level the swash and tame the pitch and throttle curves, thanks to ridge-runner in this forum and BirdBarber on RC Groups, I have no major issues. But it does seem as though I have to recalibrate each time I switch from 6g to 3g and back, have a hard landing (not a crash), or swap the battery. The trim doesn't change radically but it's enough to notice. Is this normal?

Also, besides knowing how to set the gyro for 6G and 3G I don't really understand what effect the numbers within those parameters have. For now I have 6g at 71 and 3g at 29. Transmitter is the X6. What happens if the 6g value is increased and/or the 3g value is decreased? Since everything seems to be working alright I'm reluctant to tinker, but would like to know of any possible benefits or drawbacks.

Thanks.

TP
Tepid Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default k110 Gyro and Calibration

I posted this in the V977/K110/120 sub forum but I thought I'd post it here as well, in case there's not much cross-pollination:

Once I learned how to properly level the swash and tame the pitch and throttle curves, thanks to ridge-runner in this forum and BirdBarber on RC Groups, I have no major issues. But it does seem as though I have to recalibrate each time I switch from 6g to 3g and back, have a hard landing (not a crash), or swap the battery. The trim doesn't change radically but it's enough to notice. Is this normal?

Also, besides knowing how to set the gyro for 6G and 3G I don't really understand what effect the numbers within those parameters have. For now I have 6g at 71 and 3g at 29. Transmitter is the X6. What happens if the 6g value is increased and/or the 3g value is decreased? Since everything seems to be working alright I'm reluctant to tinker, but would like to know of any possible benefits or drawbacks.

Thanks.

TP
Old 05-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trim changes every time you swap batteries and/or when switching between modes? Trim or blade pitch? How do you know? Trim for me is the one on radio, when you use trim to level swash if heli drifts....

The recommended values for 6g and 3g is like gyro gain, if you increase it tail would not hold.
Haven’t change mine as heli works as it should
salrica is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post

Thanks.

TP
First, make sure there is zero trim in your Tx at all times (Ail, Ele, Thr and Rud). Be sure to level the swash while in 3D mode. then do the 6G calibration flight. If you do these correctly, you can freely switch between 3D and 6G in flight and the heli won't jump at all when making the switch.
ridge-runner is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

TX trims are always centered, so I guess it's pitch changes that occur, and they're not very extreme. In 6G where the hover was very steady, it becomes a little "drifty" after one of the afore mentioned events. This drift is inconsistent; sometimes a little left, sometimes a little right, forward, backward, or combinations. And after I calibrate the 3G setting the same thing happens when changing back to 6G. Not handy enough with 3G yet to notice any change.

TP
Old 05-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

TX trims are zero at all times. The swash is leveled properly as far as I can see. I followed the instructions found HERE, and I used your tip LINK for the pitch and thrust settings. TX sticks are calibrated.

Not handy enough with 3D setting to notice much, but when swapping the battery or switching back to 6G from 3D the heli drifts slightly where previously is was pretty close to rock-steady. The servos appear to be working properly. Just curious to know if this is "normal."

TP
Old 05-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let’s see if I get what you are saying....
Pitch changes when switching between flight modes, right?
If so, that’s because you have different pitch curves for each mode on your radio, I guess.
Look up on your radio, go to pitch curves settings and switch between 6 and 3g mode and check if you have different settings, usually you want different blade pitch for each flight; 3g settings or pitch curves would let you flip the heli and do some stunt flight, and 6g mode to keep the heli under control and tame it down at your liking.

About heli drifting in 6g mode, some people replace the controller foam and the drift disappears, some do the 6g and then the 3g calibration and get good results.
If you want to replace the foam, I personally use white 3M foam, the one you get from Lowe’s or HD.

Post your pitch curves for each flight mode, 6 and 3g mode and if you can take a pic of the heli with radio at mid stick to check swashplate level and blade tracking
Old 05-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

During the course of re-checking the swash, this time with the heli powered up, I found a bad servo. It started jiggling like mad when I was popping the ball link off, but during normal operation it seemed to be working properly. I'll get it changed out, test it in flight, and report the results.

Meantime the pitch curves are -
Normal 40 45 50 65 80 This applies to both 6G and 3G.
Idle Up 20 35 50 65 80

I tried the white 3M tape on my primary bird and the result for me was borderline unmanagability. I switched to the backup which had been flown just a few times, so the bad servo was a bit of a surprise.

Thank you for your help.

TP
Old 05-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found a bad servo after all! This is my backup bird which had very few (less than ten) flights so it was a bit of a surprise. I found the servo by re-checking the swash with the heli powered up - while I was removing the ball link it started jiggling like mad. I'll replace it, test fly, and report back.

TP
Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I am experiencing should probably be more accurately described as "drift." Replacing the defective servo has reduced this considerably but it still happens. I suspect that I may be asking a little too much of a cheap heli and it shouldn't matter.

Here's some pics of the swash:

TP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0184.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	745442   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0187.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	745443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0188.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	745553  

Last edited by Tepid Pilot; 05-12-2018 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Place "improved" photo
Old 05-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

'Copter drifts less with servo replaced. Think I may be asking too much of a cheap micro.

TP
Old 05-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
I posted this in the V977/K110/120 sub forum but I thought I'd post it here as well, in case there's not much cross-pollination:

Thanks.

TP
Please do not cross post.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2018, 02:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by 3dplank; 05-12-2018 at 11:21 AM..
3dplank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2018, 02:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by 3dplank; 05-12-2018 at 11:21 AM..
3dplank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Relax, Doc. If I wasn't the slightest bit upset you shouldn't be either.

TP
Old 05-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as I can see, swashplate is not level, first pic seems that right side is a bit off, and Iím not that anal, LOL.
One full turn in on the link, I guess, it should take care of that.
Not sure if blade tracking is right as I see 2 blades in your pics.

About servo jittering, that happened to me too, good thing that you replaced it
Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both k110s are now flyable. I took great pains to properly level the swash(es). Blade tracking is good. Helis still "drift" after gyro calibration and battery swap. I've decided to not worry about it and not ask too much of a cheap heli. Still plenty of fun to be had.

TP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.