Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 470 Class Electric Helicopters

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DPW
  • 1 Post By DPW
  • 1 Post By mattbeau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 470LT throttle control issues

So since my last crash (failed auto) which really wasn't bad at all, I've been having a weird throttle control issue. My 470LT is completely stock, running the governor on the stock ESC. Throttle curves are flat 65, 73, and 85 for the 3 flight modes. Which typically translates to about 2600, 2900, 3200 for headspeeds. The recent crash was perfectly flat on the skid, but landed too hard and snapped the skid, and tipped over causing blades to fold and a boom strike.

The problem it has now is actually a couple things:
1) the motor shuts off and restarts on occasion, but very quickly, like it went into failsafe mode for a tenth of a second but I still have full cyclic and tail control. And when it comes back in, it doesn't spool soft, it yanks right back to its previous speed when in the 2900 or 3200 FM's. When it happens in the low HS FM, it takes longer to turn back on, and comes in soft like a normal spoolup.
2) changing flight modes doesn't always change the speed of the motor. Sometimes I can be in 2600 FM, switch to 2900 but it doesn't actually accelerate, it stays at 2600. Then I'll click once more up to 3200 and it will go straight from 2600 to 3200. And other way around. In 3200, I can click into 2900 FM, but it stays at 3200. Then clicking down once more sometimes it'll go straight to 2600, and sometimes it will only drop to 2900.
3) the motor will sometimes spin slower in all FM's than it should, or faster in all FM's than it should. For example, I'll run it through all 3 FM's, and it will be 2600, 2900, 3200 like it should. Then I'll run through the FM's again and it'll run around 2300, 2600, 2900. Then I'll run it through all 3 FM's yet again and it'll run 2900, 3200, 3400+
(I tried some pitch pumps when it was over 3400, and holy crap! so much fun! I don't like that high of HS though, doesn't seem safe)

It will do any of these 3 glitches more often on a fresh battery, and less once the battery drains down.

I can not find any visible damage to anything electrical on the entire heli. Not even any abrasion to wires anywhere, let alone any cuts or breaks in anything.
It is not losing reception.
It is not a fault in the TX; it does not do this on any of my other heli's, and I tried a friend's TX and it still does all 3 with his TX on my 470 too.

I have put 9 batteries through it since the issue started. (3 cycles of 3 batteries)
I have reprogrammed the MB+.
I have reprogrammed the stock ESC.
I have made a new model in my TX.
I've re-routed wires, and jiggled wires.
None of these things have cured anything.

Any ideas? I'm not sure if maybe the ESC is crapping out on me, or if there's internal damage in the motor causing pole count to go out of wack which I know does affect the governor function. I don't know what the culprit could be. I haven't ruled out the MB+ yet either.
All thoughts and suggestions welcome.
I'm not rich, I can't afford to just start throwing parts at it in hopes of it fixing the problem.

Oh, also, it seems to glitch most often when on the ground just a hair below mid stick. It'll do all 3 in the air too, but the motor shutting off and back on again is mostly only when on the ground and seeing some ground resonance.
The motor kick isn't very common once in the air, and when it does, it doesn't really bother me. What's driving me the most nuts though is the headspeed not matching what it's programmed to do.

Last edited by motoxxxman; 05-14-2018 at 10:17 PM..
motoxxxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bump for thoughts? Anybody?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It really sound like a motor issue. I had something similar happen on my logo 400se with a scorpion motor and there was a short just on the inside where the motor wires route into the motor can. I was able to duplicate it by wiggling the motor leads under power. I could fly all day without issue, then the next day it would lose power but I still had full control. I replaced ESC, Rx, FBL and ended up with the motor.
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you. I'll start there and see what I can find. Wondering if there's a bad solder joint at the bullet connector
Old 05-19-2018, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Exclamation Faulty ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
crash been having a throttle control
motor shuts off and restarts on occasion,
motor will sometimes spin slower
Any ideas? I'm not sure if maybe the ESC is crapping out on me,
Yes
I agree with you it is a faulty ESC.

It is to expensive replacing the Align ESC
so
IMO Buy/Install a HW 60A ESC

I did this ESC upgrade and I like it and to program the ESC all you need is a

USB Programming Adapter for HobbyKing X-Car 120A & 60A ESC $5

You just load the software on a computer and connect the above USB to the ESC
motoxxxman likes this.

Last edited by DPW; 05-19-2018 at 09:23 AM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Talking 60 vrs 50

FYI
HW 50A ESC will work
but
60 is v4 where the 50 is v3 so you loose some functions with the lower v3 hardware.
motoxxxman likes this.

Last edited by DPW; 05-19-2018 at 04:53 PM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The big difference for v3 vs V4 is the V4 has active freewheeling. Basically it recycles wasted energy if you run a bad gear ratio. for instance if you wanted to run a really low head speed with a high gear ratio, and you need to go down to 40% throttle for your desired headspeed, you won't overheat your ESC and will actually get longer flight times then if you were using an ESC without active freewheeling.

I just found this AWSOME explaination.

How BLDC Active Free-wheeling (Synchronous Rectification) works.. (10 min 27 sec)
motoxxxman likes this.
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm actually leaning towards the motor being the culprit, theory being pole count not always being correct due to some form of internal damage. Reason I'm guessing this is that right around the time this issue started, the motor sometimes beeps much quieter on initialization than normal. But if I give the motor a little bump while beeping the sound will go back to the normal loud tone.

Are Align motors rebuildable? Tips for disassembly if so?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had the align governor fail after about 20 flights. One of the FETS inside burnt out. My tell tail sign was a hot ESC from the start. Is yours hot too?

I put in a HW60V4 and no issues.

The MB+ low throttle setting is very crucial to setup too - not sure if that is your issue but that will cause issue below mid stick.

[Trex 600N, V-Bar] [Trex 450ProV2, 3Gx] [Trex 470LM Microbeast Plus]
squibcakes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Throttle fail-safe in MB+ is set correctly.
My ESC stays bone cold until it's been flown a little
Old 05-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My motor does the same thing with the loud and quite beeping. Since the motor is acting like a speaker depending on where the magnets in the motor fall determines how loud the tone is. My 450 does the same thing.
baba_yaga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba_yaga View Post
My motor does the same thing with the loud and quite beeping. Since the motor is acting like a speaker depending on where the magnets in the motor fall determines how loud the tone is. My 450 does the same thing.
ok, so that may be normal then.
I haven't monkeyed with it much yet lately, too broke lol. It still flies, so I still fly it.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
ok, so that may be normal then.
I haven't monkeyed with it much yet lately, too broke lol. It still flies, so I still fly it.
Yes, almost all of my helis do this also. The 470l the most for whatever reason
Why they all don't, I have no idea.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's your esc, I have 470lt and running the stock kit electronics, I got about 4 flights in before esc shut down then 2 more flights were ok before it shut down again. now running HW 60 platinum and it is great. It is smaller easier to mount. This was first time I have had new align electronics bad.
good luck
markb50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in