Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Convergence

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #81 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Camera finally came. It went in very easily. I just had to install a male servo connector on the transmitter since both the camera and the transmitter had female ends.

I won't be able to fly it till the 4Easter moves on, but I did power it up and walk around the house. The video is very good. I spun it up as well and didn't notice any interference on the video.

My only complaint is that I see the styrofoam above the camera. Not sure if I'll be able to tilt it down a bit. It was a pretty tight fit.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #82 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Which camera did you get? The Spektrum one? I found another one with higher resolution and a similar form factor, but haven't tried installing it yet.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #83 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Which camera did you get? The Spektrum one? I found another one with higher resolution and a similar form factor, but haven't tried installing it yet.
This is the one I ended up using:
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32622823875

I actually had picked up a different transmitter and camera and decided against using either. The transmitter was tiny, and had a built in cheapo antenna. It got really hot in a few minutes and I was envisioning it toasting my VTOL. The camera was of similar quality and I would have had to mill up a mount for it.
This one: https://www.gearbest.com/receiver-tr...aign=sshipping

I figured after I had done all that work I'd still end up with a crappy video signal, so I replaced them both. I'm happy so far. The proof will be in the flying though.

Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 03-23-2018 at 06:02 PM..
Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #84 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The only problem with the camera I got is that I have to ream out the lens hole in the Convergence because the lens is a bit larger than the Spektrum camera’s.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #85 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
The only problem with the camera I got is that I have to ream out the lens hole in the Convergence because the lens is a bit larger than the Spektrum camera’s.
Too bad. Mine fits like a glove, but as a result you can't really rotate it up and down like I originally thought. I think that whole mount comes out of there if you need to do something different. (not sure of that)

Rick
Old 03-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #86 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

VTOL FPV flight number 1: FAIL.

I figured if I stay in drone mode I can just fly around my backyard.
LMAO. I'd forgotten what a handful this little guy is even when I'm flying it LOS.

I got it in the air and I was above the 30 feet hedges before I even knew it. I figured OK since I'm up here I'll take a buzz around my house. Before I knew it, I was nose forward into my neighbors wire link fence. No clue how I went down so fast and how I got there. Luckily there was no damage.

Guess I'll save flying it till I get to the Club field with few obstacles and a spotter.

I then flew my little Blade Nano QX2. It was much better since it's far more stabilized. I was able to buzz around my yard a bit, but wind was throwing it all over the place. Also altitude is really hard to judge FPV with no ceiling to give you perspective. You almost need an altimeter on screen. The only clues you get are that you are looking down on things and everything gets smaller.

I decided to do a trip around the house and it did fine till the video blanked out as I went around the front corner. 25 mW gives you very little range. I dropped power and stuck it in the snow. No damage. Its destined to remain a basement flyer.

All that said, I'm still grinning ear to ear. New toys are fun.

Rick
Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, I picked up a used Convergence from a local flyer and got a chance to fly it yesterday. The best way to describe it was... unnerving. I've been flying RC planes since 2003, but this things flight characteristics are unique. First, the forward "creep" in hover mode took some getting used to, and until I read through this thread I assumed it was something I needed to correct out. Next, the difference between Stability and Acro modes is a bit too steep, even with stock settings. I was flying in a park where I normally have plenty of room, but I rapidly ran out of space trying to make a 180 turn. I switched it to Acro mode and practically jerked it out of the sky. It was really twitchy, almost like my rates are set too high and it's a bit tail heavy. Also, it wanted to keep climbing at anything over half throttle. I maxed out my down elevator trim, and it still wasn't level. After two hairy flights, I thought it might be a good idea to re-evaluate my set-up.
My first though was to extend the throws of the nacelle servers so that the motors were more level in airplane mode, but I'm reading here that it's not recommended. Next, I want to add dual rates to give me some middle ground between Stability and Acro modes. If anyone has some recommended settings, I'd love to hear about it. Finally, is it possible to increase the elevon rates in Stability mode so it's a bit more maneuverable?
One other thing that might be causing unstable flight is the fact that the previous owner added red and green LED light strips on the underside of both wings. It really helps with visibility, but I'm sure it's adding some weight behind the CG. I tried to adjust my moving the 2200 mAh battery to the full forward position. Any other suggestions would be great appreciated!
ED2O9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #88 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED2O9 View Post
So, I picked up a used Convergence from a local flyer and got a chance to fly it yesterday. The best way to describe it was... unnerving. I've been flying RC planes since 2003, but this things flight characteristics are unique. First, the forward "creep" in hover mode took some getting used to, and until I read through this thread I assumed it was something I needed to correct out. Next, the difference between Stability and Acro modes is a bit too steep, even with stock settings. I was flying in a park where I normally have plenty of room, but I rapidly ran out of space trying to make a 180 turn. I switched it to Acro mode and practically jerked it out of the sky. It was really twitchy, almost like my rates are set too high and it's a bit tail heavy. Also, it wanted to keep climbing at anything over half throttle. I maxed out my down elevator trim, and it still wasn't level. After two hairy flights, I thought it might be a good idea to re-evaluate my set-up.
My first though was to extend the throws of the nacelle servers so that the motors were more level in airplane mode, but I'm reading here that it's not recommended. Next, I want to add dual rates to give me some middle ground between Stability and Acro modes. If anyone has some recommended settings, I'd love to hear about it. Finally, is it possible to increase the elevon rates in Stability mode so it's a bit more maneuverable?
One other thing that might be causing unstable flight is the fact that the previous owner added red and green LED light strips on the underside of both wings. It really helps with visibility, but I'm sure it's adding some weight behind the CG. I tried to adjust my moving the 2200 mAh battery to the full forward position. Any other suggestions would be great appreciated!
I can't say much to help you. I've been flying acro mode since my second flight since like you found, the stable mode is too stable. You just get used to it being a bit touchy but the up side is you get more control.

Since I added the FPV camera, I've been flying either LOS (with someone else using the googles) or FPV in drone mode. I'm too chicken to fly it like a jet FPV. One thing I have noticed is that the extra weight of the camera does make it harder to gain altitude in drone mode. I've maxed out the collective a few times while still trying to get higher.

Side note: The head of our club called this little beastie the coolest plane in our club and he is not quick to give out compliments.

Rick
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #89 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Mine is still gathering dust. I just don't have any motivation to fly anymore.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 05-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Send it to me and I will clean the dust off it

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #91 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
OK, no more BS like that Alan. Charge that sucker up and go fly it!
Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #92 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
OK, no more BS like that Alan. Charge that sucker up and go fly it!
Rick
Don't pressure me, man! (Said in my best stoner voice.)

I'm hoping once my wife is getting around well on her new knee that I'll be able to free up some time for flying. I'd been helping her out around the house quite a bit while she struggled with her knee mobility and pain.
Graupner MZ-32

Last edited by TheBum; 05-17-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #93 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Don't pressure me, man! (Said in my best stoner voice.)

I'm hoping once my wife is getting around well on her new knee that I'll be able to free up some time for flying. I'd been helping her out around the house quite a bit while she struggled with her knee mobility and pain.
I could see where that would use most of your time. Hope she feels better soon. Hang in there.

May be a good idea to free up some time for yourself!

Rick
Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #94 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

All things considered, I'd either call the VTOL quite resilient or me quite lucky.

I finally got the stones to fly my VTOL in airplane mode FPV today. I lined up my spotter and off I went, shifted in to airplane mode and heard my spotter say "I don't see it". I say "I'm headed up the road" (grass road that leads down to our fields runway). Spotter still saying "I don't see it". Next thing I know I'm try to bring it around to come back and I see the row of trees to my left. I quickly shift right to try to avoid the trees but then I'm on the ground and lose video.

It turns out that my spotter didn't realize I was already taking off, and with the goggles on I didn't realize he wasn't watching. Lesson learned to check in prior to launch.

I took the hike across the field expecting it to be in the trees, or in the grass beyond the trees. Luckily it was the latter and the damage was surprisingly minimal for having crashed in plane mode. The rear motor basically ejected and the only other damage was some pushed back plastic where the bottom cover screws into the frame. Nothing a little epoxy could not mend.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in