Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spirit FBL system

Spirit FBL system Spirit FBL System Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FrankFuss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GeoLink Compass Calibration

Here is another attempt to explain how to efficiently perform the GeoLink Compass Calibration. This goes very quickly and easily, even for my 6.5kg Goblin 700.

Stand facing to the west and hold the model upright in front of you with the front of the model toward the north. Picture a sphere under the bottom of the GeoLink. Move the model and visualize using the bottom of the GeoLink to paint the top of the sphere, keeping the longitudinal (roll) axis of the model roughly in a northern vertical plane. Paint around the sphere working from the top down to around the middle of the sphere. This should not take more than a minute or so.

At first, painting around the top of the sphere, the model is pointed mostly to the north, but as you move down to the center of the sphere, the model would be moved so it pointed up at the back of the sphere, and down at the front of the sphere, as you keep the roll axis along the vertical plane. Around the center of the sphere the roll axis would point north on one side, then up at the back, then north on the other side, then down at the front, as you move around the center of the sphere.

Now, turn the model over and visualize painting the bottom of the sphere. Paint around the sphere working from the bottom up to around the middle of the sphere. Again, this should take a minute. Now check the GeoLink LED to see if the calibration completed. The compass calibration completes very quickly and easily doing this.

I doubt that the orientation of the model is critical when you do this as long as you paint the entire surface of the sphere with the bottom of the GeoLink.

Please, someone make a video and post it. I have never tried to post a video on-line.

Last edited by FrankFuss; 08-13-2018 at 05:30 PM..
FrankFuss is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFuss View Post
Here is another attempt to explain how to efficiently perform the GeoLink Compass Calibration. This goes very quickly and easily, even for my 6.5kg Goblin 700.

Stand facing to the west and hold the model upright in front of you with the front of the model toward the north. Picture a sphere under the bottom of the GeoLink. Move the model and visualize using the bottom of the GeoLink to paint the top of the sphere, keeping the longitudinal (roll) axis of the model roughly in a northern vertical plane. Paint around the sphere working from the top down to around the middle of the sphere. This should not take more than a minute or so.

At first, painting around the top of the sphere, the model is pointed mostly to the north, but as you move down to the center of the sphere, the model would be moved so it pointed up at the back of the sphere, and down at the front of the sphere, as you keep the roll axis along the vertical plane. Around the center of the sphere the roll axis would point north on one side, then up at the back, then north on the other side, then down at the front, as you move around the center of the sphere.

Now, turn the model over and visualize painting the bottom of the sphere. Paint around the sphere working from the bottom up to around the middle of the sphere. Again, this should take a minute. Now check the GeoLink LED to see if the calibration completed. The compass calibration completes very quickly and easily doing this.

I doubt that the orientation of the model is critical when you do this as long as you paint the entire surface of the sphere with the bottom of the GeoLink.

Please, someone make a video and post it. I have never tried to post a video on-line.
Yes a video of this would be great, I am having some problems calibrating and would love to see it instead of reading it.
tdeane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeane View Post
Yes a video of this would be great, I am having some problems calibrating and would love to see it instead of reading it.
I will try to put together a video this next week.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couldn't you just do this to the sensor alone? Then mount the sensor. The sensor has no idea how it is mounted on the vehicle it just needs to be swept through the range.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
milo12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Couldn't you just do this to the sensor alone? Then mount the sensor. The sensor has no idea how it is mounted on the vehicle it just needs to be swept through the range.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It does not matter how you do it as long as it gets calibrated out in the open away from objects that can affect the earth's magnetic field.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, dismounted the Geolink and was able to get the compass calibration completed. Your posts were very helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also could not get the compass calibration to work on the model. So removed it from the boom and took the whole model outside and just keept moving the geolink around until a steady rate blue flashing led was present on the geolink. I don't think this is well explained in the instructions (about signal from the led) and this leads to thinking the calibration is complete, when it is not.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
srms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2018, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by srms View Post
I also could not get the compass calibration to work on the model. So removed it from the boom and took the whole model outside and just keept moving the geolink around until a steady rate blue flashing led was present on the geolink. I don't think this is well explained in the instructions (about signal from the led) and this leads to thinking the calibration is complete, when it is not.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Could you explain a little more how you did it and fill in some of the gaps in the explanation - I 'm going to do it shortly and still unsure of the details.
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I figured it out. For some reason, on the SET HOME channel, I had to move the Jeti's channel negative throw to -120 percent. At -100 percent, the Spirit blinks red constantly and there's no swash movement. The Windows software indicates it's working correctly, but obviously not. At -120, there's an immediate negative swash movement, a positive return about 2 seconds later, and the Spirit FBL gives a blink. The computer confirms the home position has changed.

Funny, all the positive throws work at 100 percent in the Jeti. I haven't checked the negative throw altitude hold, but I bet that may work the same.

Kind of strange, so I hope this helps somebody.

Dan
Old 08-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a video of me performing the GeoLink Compass Calibration.

GeoLink Compass Calibration (3 min 51 sec)
lcc014 and Genesis X7 like this.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Frank - that really helps
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you very much for this video, I really appreciate your effort
tzirancamaro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I get my back ordered Geolink this will help a lot. The vision I had in my head from the written word is nothing like this.

thanks for posting.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the video Frank!
Old 08-31-2018, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Frank, thanks for the video, it really helped me understand what was written in the post. This was the hardest part of setting up the Geolink and you have now helped to make it much easier, even when mounted on a large goblin.

Regards
Tdeane
Old 09-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My neighbors already think I'm crazy....this isn't going to help that situation! Thanks for the vid, like the others said, that makes complete sense but it is not what I was imagining.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite View Post
My neighbors already think I'm crazy....this isn't going to help that situation! Thanks for the vid, like the others said, that makes complete sense but it is not what I was imagining.
Do the calibration at the flying field where you are away from any obstacle that might influence the magnetic field, and the neighbors .
Old 09-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

lol

I try to hide my heli from the neighbours when I put it in or take it out of the car.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
denis747 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in