Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #841 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying in I/U will help in the wind.
Ram_Wagon likes this.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #842 (permalink)
Registered Users

The lift generated by the blades is a function of the pitch of the blade and its speed of rotation. If you increase the early part fo the pitch curve the heli should lift off a bit earlier but if you don't have enough throttle the head speed will be too low counteracting the increased pitch. Its a balance of the two. Going for a smaller pinion should work ok.

I think it would be good for you to practice more so you can get the heli into the IU modes. The main problem I had coming from fixed pitch to collective pitch helis and flying in IU mode was getting into trouble and immediately "closing the throttle". This then slammed the heli into the ground under full power and neg pitch. I could not make the conversion to hitting TH. It was hours on the SIM and many broken helis before my meager brain learnt that one. Also the 230s flies differently in Normal/Stab mode in that if you put in some cyclic control to move the heli fwd or back or side to side when you release/centre the stick the stability system will level the swash so the heli stops in the air. To keep it moving you have to keep control on. In IU mode when you put some cyclic control on to move the heli the swash tilts but when you release the stick the swash stays in its position and does not level so the heli keeps moving until you put in control to stop it moving. Consequently the feel of flying is entirely different to me and in Stability mode I find the heli very sluggish. Practice on the SIM and when confident climb to around 30 feet "tail in" then flick to IU1 and try hovering. As soon as it starts to drift off and you feel unsure flick back to stability mode. Keep doing this until you can hover for extended periods in IU mode. Its a bit boring but until this basic stuff is learnt it is not really safe to try the more difficult stuff like turns and flying circuits.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #843 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to get mad when I lifted off my 230S and it wasn't in stability mode. Now it's the opposite. It is on another switch at least but sometimes it gets bumped accidentally sitting around overnight.

Another thing I did when learning was make the button actually TURN STABILITY MODE OFF instead of kicking in SAFE/Rescue. I could then press the button and fly around with it off and if I got in trouble I could quickly just release the switch. I found releasing easier than trying to get to something to flip or press.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #844 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Folks for the advice!

One of the struggles I have with the Sim (AccuRc 2.0 and my DX6i connected via Spektrum dongle) is there's no comparable model to anything I own. But, taking advice from John Salt on his site and from some reading here, I've found just flying ANY CP heli, especailly a large 700 size, is the way to do this. So I've been practicing on the Sim with an Align 700 something-or-other and I crash & crash & crash.

Poor big virtual birdy! It's had it's tail broken off so many times!

Until, I used one certain FBL controller (I don't remember if it's BeastX or not?) and setting up almost mirror image of my 230S settings. Now, it flies like what I'm used to! But, that's not how these helis are made...

Mostly why I like the idea of scale flight. First off, I can't afford a 1:1 size helicopter! Nor would anyone with brain let me fly theirs. So, I get my "fix" with RC.

Real helis can't flip or roll. Unless they're BUILT for such things. I like to fly from what I would see in real life. Low, steady hovering for a "rescue' maneuver. Maybe try to land on top of my firepit in the backyard. (a big cast iron "egg" with a 12" flat top) Or to be able to fly gracefully around the trees that separate my yard from the cornfield behind it. Maybe some high speed sideways flight as you'd see in an action movie with a gunner hanging out the side firing at the enemy. Those types of flights.

I love to watch 3D in action! Y'all are AMAZING and I'm in awe at what can be done with something that was truly built for stunts!

Just not my bag of tricks. I'm an Old Dog. I don't do well learning new tricks.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #845 (permalink)
Registered Users

You don't have to do 3d just because you're in I/U. You can have a low head speed but still have the ability to counter ballooning in windy conditions. Getting off the stability crutch as soon as possible will make you a better pilot. IMHO
Ram_Wagon likes this.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #846 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
You don't have to do 3d just because you're in I/U. You can have a low head speed but still have the ability to counter ballooning in windy conditions. Getting off the stability crutch as soon as possible will make you a better pilot. IMHO
Oh I know you’re right. I was trying I/U today with the 130S. It was windy again, maybe 8-10 mph. I took the little bird up above my tree out back which is easily 30’ up and flipped the switch while hovering nose to the wind at midstick. As soon as I did of course the motor sped up and she dropped about a foot and started drifting backwards towards me. I attempted hovering but even the slightest correction was cause to a counter correction...!

I feel like I’m flying REACTIVE instead of on purpose? Proactive Flying?

I need more Sim time but honestly was holding off until it gets too cold here to fly outdoors.

That would help get rid of the crutch!

Just hope that if I do decide to stay a “stability junkie” that I’ll still get some solid advice here...!?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #847 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the small ones give you trouble weaning off stability get something larger and with an FBL like a Spirit that gives you multiple stability modes so that you can transition more incrementally. A larger heli is also inherently more stable.

Keep up the sim training and remember to toss in some winds. Getting a perfect day is rare.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 AM   #848 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_Wagon View Post
Just hope that if I do decide to stay a “stability junkie” that I’ll still get some solid advice here...!?
I sent you PM with setup sheets - have a look.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
Me_How is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #849 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Oh I know you’re right. I was trying I/U today with the 130S. It was windy again, maybe 8-10 mph. I took the little bird up above my tree out back which is easily 30’ up and flipped the switch while hovering nose to the wind at midstick. As soon as I did of course the motor sped up and she dropped about a foot and started drifting backwards towards me. I attempted hovering but even the slightest correction was cause to a counter correction...!

I feel like I’m flying REACTIVE instead of on purpose? Proactive Flying?

I need more Sim time but honestly was holding off until it gets too cold here to fly outdoors.

That would help get rid of the crutch!

I don't know if you've done a trim flight with your 130 or not, but that could be an issue? BUT the ''correction counter correction'' comment makes me think youre just feeling the difference between stability mode and normal mode. When you move the stick in stability mode, the heli will kind of return to level when you let go. In normal mode, you have to make the return to level using the stick.
Ram_Wagon likes this.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #850 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_How View Post
I sent you PM with setup sheets - have a look.
Got it! Thanks! And replied.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #851 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't know if you've done a trim flight with your 130 or not, but that could be an issue? BUT the ''correction counter correction'' comment makes me think youre just feeling the difference between stability mode and normal mode. When you move the stick in stability mode, the heli will kind of return to level when you let go. In normal mode, you have to make the return to level using the stick.
I didn't know the 130S had a Trim Flight option available? I've done the Calibration and Trim Flight(s) for my 230S with success finally.

But if the 130S can be calibrated and flown with a Trim Flight as well... I'll have to do that! I can do a TF in my garage with the 130. (since it's looking like rain for 40 days and 40 nights here!) I can fly in the wind! But don't want to in the rain.

Anyway, you're right too, Liduno, about me finding the differences between one Mode to the next. And I was aware of the cyclic responses between modes and I'm not a fan...! LOL! I get used to flying in stability mode, still tail in for the most part with some occasional "from the side" flying. I'll fly past myself, flip around 180* and fly back the other way. No nose in flying, yet. But, at least with the 130 it's not ALL tail in!

So again, Yes, it's me leaning heavily on stability and the self-centering.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #852 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I didn't know the 130S had a Trim Flight option available? I've done the Calibration and Trim Flight(s) for my 230S with success finally.

But if the 130S can be calibrated and flown with a Trim Flight as well... I'll have to do that! I can do a TF in my garage with the 130. (since it's looking like rain for 40 days and 40 nights here!) I can fly in the wind! But don't want to in the rain.

Anyway, you're right too, Liduno, about me finding the differences between one Mode to the next. And I was aware of the cyclic responses between modes and I'm not a fan...! LOL! I get used to flying in stability mode, still tail in for the most part with some occasional "from the side" flying. I'll fly past myself, flip around 180* and fly back the other way. No nose in flying, yet. But, at least with the 130 it's not ALL tail in!

So again, Yes, it's me leaning heavily on stability and the self-centering.
I may be way off about the 130 trim flight, I just assumed it would have that option? I don't own one. The problem with flying in stability mode, the longer you do it the longer it takes you to get used to regular mode.
Ram_Wagon likes this.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #853 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I may be way off about the 130 trim flight, I just assumed it would have that option? I don't own one. The problem with flying in stability mode, the longer you do it the longer it takes you to get used to regular mode.
I don't disagree. Little by little, I'll figure it out!

As for the 130S, I know the controls on the DX6i are different than HH requires to perform even the basic "flip this switch, push this button" idea they have... but I could always TRY to see if the 130S can be Calibrated and a Trim Flight performed?
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #854 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't disagree. Little by little, I'll figure it out!

As for the 130S, I know the controls on the DX6i are different than HH requires to perform even the basic "flip this switch, push this button" idea they have... but I could always TRY to see if the 130S can be Calibrated and a Trim Flight performed?
Ya IIRC the 2 position switch can be an issue entering certain settings. I think it was designed to work with a 3 position switch.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #855 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ya IIRC the 2 position switch can be an issue entering certain settings. I think it was designed to work with a 3 position switch.
To me the 130S is pretty much like my 230S's little brother..! Flight-wise and while different scales, just too similar for me to think that wasn't the intention?

The 230 of course uses micro servos while the 130 uses linear ones. But both have brushless main and tail motors and I love the fact they fly the same. Well, I can see the 230 further up and away! So there's that.

But yeah, I know so far most of the 3 flight mode Heli's weren't made thinking of the boring old DX6i. I'm guessing they (HH) made BNF easy but they also wanted to cater to those with newer RX's.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #856 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with others in that you have to get yourself out of the stability mode as the heli flies differently in IU mode. Hovering these helis, to me, is like balancing a billiard que on your hand, you need to be making continuous small control movements. I actually started the opposite to you and kept the bird close to the ground but not too close. Say about 2 feet up, then if I got into trouble with it skidding off sideways I would come down on the cyclic and land. I would then reposition the heli in front of me and start again until I could hover in front of me for as long as I wanted. Then I went on to try and do circles but still keeping the heli tail in to me. With this going ok I then tried side on hovering and transversing in front of me. Nose in hovering is actually quite tricky.
Ram_Wagon likes this.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #857 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
I agree with others in that you have to get yourself out of the stability mode as the heli flies differently in IU mode. Hovering these helis, to me, is like balancing a billiard que on your hand, you need to be making continuous small control movements. I actually started the opposite to you and kept the bird close to the ground but not too close. Say about 2 feet up, then if I got into trouble with it skidding off sideways I would come down on the cyclic and land. I would then reposition the heli in front of me and start again until I could hover in front of me for as long as I wanted. Then I went on to try and do circles but still keeping the heli tail in to me. With this going ok I then tried side on hovering and transversing in front of me. Nose in hovering is actually quite tricky.
Gotcha! Thanks!

Damndest thing is, I can fly helicopters and planes just fine on a PS3/PS4!! And, those missions or Online on Grand Theft Auto where someone is chasing you and you have to outfly them? It takes a LOT of skill to manuever while looking behind you. Especially downtown Los Santos! I got my "Gold's" at the Flight School Academy!

But in real life, as said, it's all muscle memory. And it's learned. While I could never physically describe what buttons do what on a PlayStation controller for any particular game, for any vehicle, land, sea or air... I can perform all that I want to with each type of vehicle and they all use different buttons for different functions. So, Muscle Memory is ALWAYS the key.

I just have to train my brain to do the same work.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #858 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am exactly the opposite to you in that I learnt to fly RC planes back in the 1970's when my father was into them although I never flew a helicopter. My son has these PS4 games and I am absolutely useless at them. As you say though it is all about muscle memory. When you have learnt it becomes totally sub conscious and If I want to fly around the edges of my garden I am not thinking at all about what controls to use or how much control, I have no sense of how my fingers are moving I am just watching the helicopter and making it go where I want. Its kind of weird when I think about it like that. The thing that bugs me at the moment is control reversal and orientations. With these helis you can fly both upright, inverted, forwards and backwards. On top of this is flying away from yourself (tail in) or towards yourself (nose in) To get all these orientations embedded into the brain is proving a nightmare for an old dog like me. I am at the stage of doing inverted circuits and I am just starting on hovering inverted whilst pirouetting the heli (keeping it spinning on the tail rotor).
Ram_Wagon likes this.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #859 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put on the e-flight aluminum rotor head. I should have gone with the microheli instead. The arms were pinched too tight and the linkage rods to the grip had to be shaved down on the hard machined edge to not bind and I still had to wedge a flat head screwdriver between them to spread them out. I test flew it and it does fly without any issues after the binding was resolved, and the bling looks nice.
Tug Driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #860 (permalink)
Registered Users

I installed my Microheli fuselage today! I doubt the pictures will upload now...?

But if not I’ll try to add them with my computer tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5451C2A7-C90E-4F8B-8E8B-A57C3591D04A_1541373580427.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	760098   Click image for larger version

Name:	317DDEA8-47E1-44A7-9832-8982B5E43212_1541373592386.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	760099   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B10DCDB-8C92-4A78-BD62-7F0BFBEBFBE7_1541373603404.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	760100   Click image for larger version

Name:	32833A7E-075F-423C-B687-33DB4D7E5A6E_1541373614312.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	760101  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in