Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade mCPS

Blade mCPS Blade mCPS Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trouble with flight modes 1 and 2

I've been playing with my mCP S for about a month now and doing really well in stability mode. Everything works as expected and getting pretty smooth flying it around! Trying stunt modes though have been a disaster and I am wondering if it's a setup issue. Like the heli is completely insane.
I am using a DX6 and have it programmed like it's supposed to according to manual.
Example of behavior in stunt mode mode:
- i put the heli in stunt mode 1, canopy light goes from blue to red
- i release hold and main motor comes on with left stick full down
- heli starts spinning on ground and then swash plate starts moving on its own to 'correct' for something until the helicopter tilts enough for the blades to hit the ground. All this without me touching the right stick at all and with left stick full down.

I tried to counteract it's behavior before by cancelling out everything it's trying to do to keep the blades level, but it's really hard to lift off, and when i do, the thing flies as fast as possible in some random direction...

I've seen videos where people turn it on, give positive pitch and the heli goes up and hover. Mine is completely crazy unless i am in stability mode which works great.
Is it a setup issue or do I just need to get better at piloting this thing? I understand it's harder in stunt mode, but why is the swash plate moving on its own when the heli is still on the ground?

does it think it should be inverted because i have negative pitch and the giros are trying to flip it because it's actually not flipped? Should I do hold release with the left stick at neutral pitch or maybe slightly positive?

Thanks!
flyingfadi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure all your trims are set at zero. Set your pitch and throttle curves in stunt to the same as you are using in stability mode. Reduce your servo throws to 40% and set expo to 35% when switching to stunt mode
Bargee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are in stunt 1 and have setup the radio per the manual, then you have to start the heli with the left stick in the middle - this is zero degrees pitch of the rotors. In stunt 1 and 2 full down is maximum negative pitch, full up is max positive pitch, and middle is zero.

If you start the heli with max pitch (positive or negative) it’s going to spin wildly, freak out the FBL controlller, tip over, etc.
FR4-Pilot is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like my experience.

First, as another said, make sure your trims on the transmitter are all zero. Having any trim in agility mode will cause heli to cant to one side even on ground. (If you feel you need trim to fly in Stability mode, just do some trim flights instead as described in manual.

Second, there are two ways I would get into agility mode. One way is to slowly throttle up to almost half stick in Stability mode while still on the ground, THEN switch to agility. Your heli will be on the ground with a tiny bit of negative pitch, meaning it will be getting pushed down instead of up by the air. (NO, it is not trying to flip as you stated when it has negative pitch.) You can then increase collective and fly. Another, separate way to get into agility mode is to switch while already hovering in stability mode. Make sure you aren’t giving cyclic, then switch. Your heli will likely lurch a tiny bit when you do this, and then it’ll feel like an uncontrollable monster — that’s normal. (You might also find you have way more collective power if it’s like my Nano CP S. Maybe Stability computations sap power??) After half a second in agility mode, switch back to stability mode. Keep doing it, and aim to stay in agility mode for a few seconds at a time. Each time you’ll get the feel for it more and more.

Third, consider getting a simulator. Heli-X has a free version. If your TX had a buddy port thing, you just need a cable from Amazon for $10.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by xoexoe; 11-11-2018 at 12:37 PM..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for all the inputs!
I did try sometimes after I reach a very stable hover in stability (staying within a square inch), to flip to stunt 1, but the thing just takes off in a random direction insanely quick and I am to quick enough to counteract that, or i do it too fast and launch aggressively in another direction.

I tried another thing I saw someone post here and it's decoupling the flight mode from the stability mode. in the second page in the channel assign menu, channel five which is Gear was on switch B (DX6), which is also what flight mode is set to. I made it on A, and kept flight mode on B. This way i can flip it while still in stability flight mode. I had a bit better luck controlling it that way, and I can quickly flip A back to stability if I feel I am losing control. However having stability on while in stunt mode acts crazy... maybe you're not supposed to do that.

Anyways, good advice, I'll try them
Old 11-12-2018, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Sounds like my experience.

First, as another said, make sure your trims on the transmitter are all zero. Having any trim in agility mode will cause heli to cant to one side even on ground. (If you feel you need trim to fly in Stability mode, just do some trim flights instead as described in manual.

Second, there are two ways I would get into agility mode. One way is to slowly throttle up to almost half stick in Stability mode while still on the ground, THEN switch to agility. Your heli will be on the ground with a tiny bit of negative pitch, meaning it will be getting pushed down instead of up by the air. (NO, it is not trying to flip as you stated when it has negative pitch.) You can then increase collective and fly. Another, separate way to get into agility mode is to switch while already hovering in stability mode. Make sure you aren’t giving cyclic, then switch. Your heli will likely lurch a tiny bit when you do this, and then it’ll feel like an uncontrollable monster — that’s normal. (You might also find you have way more collective power if it’s like my Nano CP S. Maybe Stability computations sap power??) After half a second in agility mode, switch back to stability mode. Keep doing it, and aim to stay in agility mode for a few seconds at a time. Each time you’ll get the feel for it more and more.

Third, consider getting a simulator. Heli-X has a free version. If your TX had a buddy port thing, you just need a cable from Amazon for $10.

Hope that helps.
Hi Xoexoe,
I looked for cables, but it looks audio cable to audio cable. How's that gonna connect to my PC? i was expecting usb on the other side. Or do you get the wireless dungle?
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfadi View Post
Hi Xoexoe,
I looked for cables, but it looks audio cable to audio cable. How's that gonna connect to my PC? i was expecting usb on the other side. Or do you get the wireless dungle?
Thanks!
Here is the product I use with my Spextrum DX6:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are 4 or so settings on the USB thing. I set it to #2 and it worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in