Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

It's always been a weighted decision based upon trust and reliability :
Is it interchangeable component wise - specifications and quality assurance

How is it going to age ? Is their a factory domestic service center here in the states if a issue arises ?
Are they customer service oriented ? Sales & Service

Have a lot of Old / Some Middle age and some current, most ALL exclusive Futaba.

They also are in Industry with other product lines.

Really no issues - except for actual induced physical damage & service was excellent.
Some are so old really not worth the re- furb yet are still functioning. Like FN's

Concerns have alway's been battery > in field - operating capacity due to the Hog Processors consuming the MA's. If the LCD Screen's are going to fade from sunlight from old age . Have one never been comfortable marching thru different model memories - so still follow the punch list in the manual.

The wiz bang stuff is great until you get a error or lost some where in a variety of menu tree's. I use a Lot of Mixes in a wide variety of aircraft.

Couple of features would be great for a Heli Flyer : Stuff they over looked - But it would be a Wow - Factor

Never let me down & never lost confidence in em. They have aged great !
Dsss likes this.

Last edited by GREYEAGLE; 02-01-2019 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Have never fully utilized " ALL" the features either -
GREYEAGLE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the end it's just a radio. They all work. They all have sticks. None of the will make you fly better. All the higher end models from various bands have lots of customization and options. I wouldn't find it worth it for me to switch from spektrum to something else because I have four helis with three sats each and I'm not having any issues nor do I feel like I'm missing anything.

Unless you're interested in Futaba's flybarless units in which case you can integrate the futaba radio with it or don't have several helis already equipped for spektrum, I'd say it's not really worth it.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.Engineer View Post
Frsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
No mention of FrSky?
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can listen to Bert and Kyle's latest podcast BK RC podcast episode 30.

Episode #30: Transmitter Talk! ? BK RC Podcast

I personally have a dx8 g2 and you cant beat it for the money. I would take a hard look at vcontrol if I would be starting over now.
Although its not worth it for me to switch since it wont make me a better pilot.

In the end its your choice so buy something you like and can afford.
curmudgeon and Dsss like this.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spektrum and Futaba are good. They both have their advantages. For me, the only other radio I would switch to is Jeti. Pretty awesome radio and top notch reliability. Mikado has some awesome aspects and nothing wrong with the system. They are fairly expensive to get the radio and all the V-Bar stuff.

Bottom line, what do you want?
Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocycler View Post
Coming back into the hobby after long hiatus, considering a futaba radio instead of Spektrum.

I have always had DX8s and DX6s prior with no complaints but have always been curious about Futaba.

I am a sport heli flyer, in the smaller sub 500 heli range.

Should I just stay with what I know or are there benefits of Futaba I need to consider?
To answer your question, I reluctantly say Specktrum only because it’s more universal to small bind and fly and that is the only reason.

Welcome back.
Eury and curmudgeon like this.
halfcab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

The information Bert and Kyle presented in their BK Podcast Episode #30: Transmitter Talk! is consistent with my own observations and experience. They mainly review the pros and cons of Spektrum, Futaba, Jeti, and Mikado VBar Control, so not very helpful for folks considering other brands (Graupner, FrSky, JR, Hitec, etc.)
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lots of good radio systems in the market. But since you have Spektrum and are going to stick to small Helicopters I would just keep what you have.

I started with Futaba and they are great Radio’s as well.

If I was switching to a new system it would be VBar, VControl because of the way it VBar feels in the air. I switched one Heli flew it and sold all my other receivers, flybarless systems and ESCs. Bought all VBar Neo, Scorpion Tribunus ESCs and a VControl. The programming, telemetry, reliability of VControl is the best I have ever used. I could never go back again to a standard radio. I just bought the VControl Touch and it is awesome. Just switched my planes as well over this winter.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry should have been clear. I am just getting back into the hobby and do not currently have anything. In process of planning things out now.
photocycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't forget to look at JR/DFA.

JR is alive and well, through JR/DFA (Dee Force Aviation). They are producing radios, servos, accessories, gyros, helicopters and helicopter parts, and airplanes in ever increasing numbers and variety.

The quality of the JR Radios/equipment is EXACTLY the same (best in the industry) as is was before-it is being made by the same people who manufactured it for JR for the last several years.

For information look here:

https://www.deeforce.net/
Old 02-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds like I should stick with what I know and stay with Spektrum.

With that said, wanted to stay around $225, should I be looking at the DX6 G3 or DX8e?

I am not familiar with the latest FBL systems (researching that next) so not sure if I need the extra channels?
RCFred likes this.
photocycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2019, 12:53 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

still spektrum.. for numbers of people out there and BNF fun bits to buy
curmudgeon likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

With that said, wanted to stay around $225, should I be looking at the DX6 G3 or DX8e?

I am not familiar with the latest FBL systems (researching that next) so not sure if I need the extra channels?
This might help: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/M...Comparison.pdf

The voice in the DX6 is great. But the two extra channels on the DX8e are also good.

If that were my price pint, I’d get a used DX8 that has both of those features.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

The extra channels become useful once you start using more features of the FBL. IMHO it is a good idea to get at least 8 channels on your radio.

I think the “e” versus the regular DX8 is just lacking voice capabilities. To me that’s a super important feature and if you want to explore telemetry one day it’s a must. The difference in price is really too much for just that feature but reading through features that seems to be really the only major feature difference. I do see the price of the “e” is super attractive though. Maybe get an “e” now and later down the road if you want telemetry get the DX9 which is probably Spektrum’s best radio. Common to see them on the classifieds at a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
photocycler likes this.
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Andy Kunz (Spektrum Developer Team) explains in RC Groups the difference between the regular DX8 Gen2 and the DX8e radios. My interpretation is that the DX8e is an attempt to a more economical DX8 at the expense of some cool and desirable features. Compared to the DX8 Gen2, the DX8e does not have speech, no vibration, no soft rubber grips, and no diversity, but the software and programming is essentially the same. The DX8e also uses standard AA batteries, but can be upgraded to use the same rechargeable Lithium battery as DX8 Gen2; for an additional cost of course.
photocycler likes this.
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Not always about channels, but for certain features.
Ah Clem likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Not always about channels, but for certain features."

Absolutely!

As you work your way up in price (even with one brand), you usually get better build quality, more features, in some cases better resolution, etc.

It is worth a bit of time to investigate the various brands and features.

I have been a JR guy since the early 1980's and have found nothing of higher quality than an upper end JR. Futaba is excellent also.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post

I personally have a dx8 g2 and you cant beat it for the money.

You can totally beat it for the money:

https://alofthobbies.com/horus-x10.html
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The DX8e also uses standard AA batteries
I would urge people not to use AA batteries in a transmitter.

There have been incidents here of radio failure with the DX6 and loose batteries. The BMFA put out warnings that the radio should have a welded pack fitted before use.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

Get rid of AA's. I switched to rechargeable AA's and it worked fine, although I did have to charge regularly. But worked out fine. Until one day I overdischarged the battery and it caused a malfunction on the internal radio. Because it was new and due to Horizon Hobby's outstanding customer support (in my experience) they fixed it for free. Then I changed to Pulse TX packs which increased time between recharges and because they are LiPos I take more care of them. Setup my low voltage alarm properly at 3.8v per cell and haven't had any issues with them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
I would urge people not to use AA batteries in a transmitter.

There have been incidents here of radio failure with the DX6 and loose batteries. The BMFA put out warnings that the radio should have a welded pack fitted before use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in