Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Evans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to make your Phoenix-RC dongle wireless

I'm not the first to want to go wireless with my Phoenix-RC sim, an example being HERE, but I don't think anybody has made quite such a neat job of it as this.

The Phoenix-RC USB dongle is basically a box with a USB coming out of one end, and a PPM input at the other. If you undo the two pozidrive screws holding the case together, you'll find some potted electronics and the aforementioned wiring.

Key to this mod is being able to get power from the USB cable. If you can't see the red lead emerging from the USB cable you'll struggle to do this. If your dongle is more heavily potted than shown above you may be out of luck. Assuming you can see that wire such than you can break into it, then proceed as follows.

1. Cut the PPM trainer lead about 1" outside the box to leave a reasonable amount of cable to work with and then slice open the outer sheath and lift out the red wire (which isn't connected, but which you'll need) the white PPM signal wire, and the braid screen. You should then be able to pull the sheath out of the potting compound.

2. Very carefully cut back some of the insulation on the red lead emerging from the USB cable and tin the exposed copper. Take the length of red wire you just liberated from the trainer lead, tin one end, and then solder it to the exposed conductor. This will provide power for your receiver. Trim back the braid and solder on a short length of black servo wire.

3. Cover the exposed power cable with some insulating tape and heat shrink the new cabling as shown below and trim all three wires to the same length.

4. You now need to prepare a receiver. The following is for Futaba FASST, but any receiver that's small enough can be used to match your choice of radio, but it must have a PPM output. For FASST the best choice is an FRSky TFR4 as this is small, cheap, and has the required PPM output.

Remove the receiver from the case.

5. Remove the header pins. It's easiest to remove the plastic shell around the pins and then they can be removed one by one. You'll need to clear the holes of solder on the connections shown below.

6. Bridge the signal connections on channels 3 and 4 to put the receiver into PPM mode.

7. Solder the wires previously prepared in the USB dongle onto channel 1 of the receiver being careful to connect them as shown.

8. At this point you'll probably want to test everything is working. Plug the USB lead into your PC and the LED on the receiver should light up to show it's getting power. Unplug the lead again. Turn on your transmitter with the "model" selected that you use for the simulator and then plug the USB lead in again whilst holding down the button on the receiver. After a moment the LED should go green to indicate that the receiver has bound to the transmitter and you should then release the button. With the transmitter sticks centered and with the throttle at min, press the button again. This sets the failsafe so that when you turn off your Tx you won't suddenly be confronted by a load of noise as the model in Phoenix tries to take off.

9. Position the receiver neatly in the case and thread the antenna through the rubber gromit that was previously used for the trainer cable.

10. Replace the lid on the box and plug the USB cable into the back of your PC where you can't see it.

11. Confirm that Phoenix-RC now behaves exactly as it did when you used the trainer lead.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8958.JPG
Views:	9819
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	566305   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8959.JPG
Views:	7785
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	566306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8964.JPG
Views:	7127
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	566307   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8966.JPG
Views:	7047
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	566308   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8955.JPG
Views:	6876
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	566309  

Name:	DSCF8956.JPG
Views:	6772
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	566310   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8963.JPG
Views:	6914
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	566311   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8967.JPG
Views:	7179
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	566312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8968.JPG
Views:	6901
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	566313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8969.JPG
Views:	6866
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	566314  

tcraig likes this.
Blackout 330/OpenPilot Revo with FatShark 600mW VTX, Futaba 8FG 2.4GHz
Steve Evans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Having completed this it occurred to me that given the range over which this had to operate there was absolutely no need to have the antennae external, so I removed the lid again, coiled them up inside around the rx, and put the lid back on. Even neater!

Steve
Blackout 330/OpenPilot Revo with FatShark 600mW VTX, Futaba 8FG 2.4GHz
Steve Evans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

after reading your guide i was so optimistic, unfortunately i opened my dongle only to find it has been submerged. looks like i either need to splice my usb cable open along its length or run a dedicated usb for power.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupup View Post
after reading your guide i was so optimistic, unfortunately i opened my dongle only to find it has been submerged. looks like i either need to splice my usb cable open along its length or run a dedicated usb for power.
Using a USB cable, an audio cable and a servo extension you can make an adapter between the Phoenix USB adapter and the PPM receiver without having to modify either one.

Here are a couple photos of my adapter. Ground and 5V is supplied to the receiver for power from the USB connector. Ground and the PPM signal from the receiver is supplied to the Phoenix USB adapter.

You can simplify what I have done if you use a battery for the receiver instead of USB power.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SimAdapt1.jpg
Views:	6464
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	599009   Click image for larger version

Name:	SimAdapt2.jpg
Views:	6341
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	599010  
FrankFuss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome, thank you!
NewToRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok i know thos is a old post but hopefully someone can answer. If i make the phoenix cord wireless will it work on other sims?
My rc heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

FrankFuss, thanks for posting this. Was exactly what I needed. It works well, though I had to redo the channel configurations in the radio as they were all crazy at the default settings.

Here's my version:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	file-3.jpg
Views:	2065
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	745080  

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thought I would add my version, that I created from inspiration from this thread. I didnt have one of the original Phoenix adapters and since they are out of business, I used one of the cheap USB flight sim adapters with a slider switch that you use to select Phoenix RC, this is the kind you usually use with a mono-audio trainer cable attached to your TX. I desoldered the male USB port and the 3.5mm audio jack from it and soldered an old USB cable directly to the board (this was mainly because the enclosure I had wasn't big enough to fit a female USB and an actual audio cable). I have a Taranis X9D so I bought a cheap tiny receiver on eBay for 10 bucks compatible with Frsky's D8 mode, and soldered a lead from the PPM output to the solder pad on the Phoenix adapter that corresponded with the tip of the 3.5mm plug (which is signal), and the +5V and ground wires spliced off from the single USB cable to the appropriate pads on the RX. The base of the 3.5mm plug is the same ground as the board so no need to solder a separate ground. The micro receivers on eBay have a PPM and SBUS solder bridge, so you have to solder the PPM one together with a little bit extra solder to activate PPM mode.

I put the whole thing into an old HP printer AC adapter box I found at the thrift store, took all the innards out of it and it made a nice box, even a little bigger than I needed for this. This is an easy adapter with just one USB cable to worry about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190309_121538.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	781345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190309_121230.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	781347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190309_121205.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	781349  
alferz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in