Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MUI hook-up

I'm trying to integrate an MUI (mah consumed) on one of my heli's. If this goes well, I will install on my fleet. I am currently getting mah consumed from my IKON2 FBL, but I'm looking for something more accurate.

My question:
I'm running a 12S set-up with 2 batteries connected to the ESC with a "Y". The "Y" is built in to the ESC connection, so there is a jumper to get the batteries in series.

I know the recommendation is to install the MUI inline on the positive leg going from the battery to the ESC. Can I install the MUI inline on the "Y" which is running between the batteries? Will this work? Is the mah consumed measured only half when installed in this location?

Thanks......TNJET
Tnjet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I strongly recommend NOT doing that. You do not want that connection to be different from the + and - from the small MUI wire that will be providing the voltage readings, and the positive/negative of the reciever.

What is the issue with installing it in the proper location on the lead going to the positive wire to the ESC?

Sandy
PhoenixNOTAR is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default MUI

Easier installation and I'm already trying to cram a lot of wires under the canopy. If it makes a difference, I don't plan in hooking up the voltage wires, as I already get receiver and main pack voltage through other means.

TNJET
Old 03-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The MUI will still be plugged into the receiver. So there should still be a common ground for everything.

You seem to want to do it, so go ahead. The worst that can happen will probably be loosing the MUI, ESC and receiver.
I do not believe that you will get consumption data from the MUI without the voltage line hooked up.
PhoenixNOTAR is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

As far as I know, you need to connect the MUI voltage connections so that the MUI sees the full battery voltage, not only the BEC voltage coming from the Rx connection. It also needs to be connected between the +ve and the ESC.

As much I hate the wiring issues associated with fitting a MUI, I find it so much simpler to have an accurate mAh consumed number rather than trying to get the Brain/Ikon calibrated for all flight styles. Low current draws are tricky to calibrate.

So many things to fly, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 03:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sometimes a picture speaks a thousand words.

Mine has been mounted like you want to and as depicted in the picture for more than 2 years and is as accurate as can be.

One word of caution the heatshrink of the MUI is not as resistant to heat as you would hope and melts quickly when soldering wires especially on the bigger gauge wires and that is why mine is now covered with insulation tape.

I tried adding as much info in the picture as can be especially indicating which way MUI is to be connected. It works a charm though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeti MUI200.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	780039  
Chippie13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MUI connection

Chippie13,

You rock! Thanks for the picture. Electrically, I thought it should work, but looking for anyone with practical experience. I do not plan on connecting the voltage wires, as I already get voltage through the FBL/ESC.

Thank again.

TNJET
Old 03-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad i could help. I dont know if it would work without the smaller wires connected as i never tried it but worst case you wont get any reading.

Test it before final fitting and you will know but i have suspicion it is needed. In any case connecting it whilst patient is on table is much easier than doing it afterwards and you just elect not to display it on tx. Can even be used to double check reading from flybarless or vice versa.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chippie13,

Thought I would go ahead and close the circle on this thread. I have now testing and implemented the MUI in one heli and can confirm that it will work just fine in the jumper section of the "Y". Just need to make sure the orientation is correct per your picture above.

I did not connect up the small voltage wires, I already have voltage telemetry coming back through the ESC/FBL telemetry. I can confirm that the MUI unit is powered through the connection to the receiver. In my case, I am using JETI, so plugging the MUI into my receiver powers the MUI on. Same principle as updating the firmware. The MUI is powered through the cable used to update firmware.

The MUI provides several items that are available on telemetry. MAH consumed, instantaneous Amperage, Voltage (if you hook up the second set of wires), and a few more. I believe there is a WattHour metric as well, but I didn't play with that yet.

So in conclusion for those researching how to install and use your MUI.....
+ The MUI is powered through the servo lead connection to your receiver
+ You can install in the "Y" section of the battery jumpers between your batteries on a 12s set-up (photo above)
+ Orientation is critical and must be installed in the correct direction
+ You can run the Amp meter function without hooking up the voltage wires
+ You can run the Voltage function without hooking up the Amp meter wires
+ I'm assuming the mah consumed values are accurate (they are reported to be much more accurate than FBL)
+ I will most likely install MUI's in all models and abandon the FBL calculated mah consumed values

Hope this helps someone in the future.

TNJET
Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

@Tnjet The last post of yours is really informative due to the different connections you tested and commented on.

I am sure even myself will come back to this thread in the future when I connect another MUI.

Thanks for actually posting your test results as it describes all possible connections

Now how does one get this thread stickied

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in