Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Synergy Model Helicopters > 516

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Question about canopy mounts

Looking at the standard canopy mounts, they don't appear to be magnetic. Do they lock down well enough for hard 3D or should I consider magnetic mounts like those below?

MagMountz - Synergy 516 Magnetic Canopy Post Set - Full
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience the stock canopy mounts (they are not magnetic) lock down fine but are a bit fiddly to get locked down properly. I became frustrated with them right away, particularly after fighting with them enough to chip and crack the brand-new canopy.

So, I adapted MSH magnetic canopy mounts to my 516 and the difference in ease of use was amazing. WAY better! I'm now looking at converting most of my fleet to mag mountz.
freemanpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanpa View Post
In my experience the stock canopy mounts (they are not magnetic) lock down fine but are a bit fiddly to get locked down properly. I became frustrated with them right away, particularly after fighting with them enough to chip and crack the brand-new canopy.

So, I adapted MSH magnetic canopy mounts to my 516 and the difference in ease of use was amazing. WAY better! I'm now looking at converting most of my fleet to mag mountz.
Excellent - many thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

MSH parts are on hiatus until the new vendor can come up to speed, but in the Main Forum there's a thread about another vendor:

MagMountz - Magnetic Mounting Systems

here's the thread:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=822709

They have a set for Synergy 516s

dan
Old 02-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here’s the 516 mounts set. Works well and fitment is spot on. Stock front mount has always been a PITA...this makes it really easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baedarlboo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nicely priced. I did the McMaster Carr and a magnet vendor route and spent a bit more than $13 for everything. Of course it was go that route or the PROTOS 380 canopy magnets that were forever out of stock.
ben_beyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
Nicely priced. I did the McMaster Carr and a magnet vendor route and spent a bit more than $13 for everything. Of course it was go that route or the PROTOS 380 canopy magnets that were forever out of stock.
I'm also running mounts based on McMaster-Carr hardware and K&J Magnetics magnets. The only real downside is the relative lack of protection for the magnets (particularly the front ones), which are rather brittle. The MagMountz address that issue. I'll likely keep my current setup though.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 06:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I'm also running mounts based on McMaster-Carr hardware and K&J Magnetics magnets. The only real downside is the relative lack of protection for the magnets (particularly the front ones), which are rather brittle. The MagMountz address that issue. I'll likely keep my current setup though.
Yep, mine is based off of what you did.

I have spares so I'm going to keep running your setup until I really feel the need or want to change.
ben_beyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, once you go the magnet route, you won't go back. For me, pull the back apart some, lift up slightly, and the fronts pop out. I even bought a set for my old Trex 550L, but they haven't arrived yet.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
Yep, once you go the magnet route, you won't go back. For me, pull the back apart some, lift up slightly, and the fronts pop out. I even bought a set for my old Trex 550L, but they haven't arrived yet.
My first experience with magnetic mounts was on my first Protos Max V2. I can literally put the canopy on with one hand, with the magnets "sucking" the canopy into position. The magnetic mounts also saved a lot of canopy damage on that heli: the canopy would more often than not pop off the heli on impact during a crash. Wraparound canopy designs aren't so easy to put on and take off and they don't prevent canopy damage.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would avoid the Mag Mounts at all costs. Mine lasted less than 20 uses before the plastic holder broke on the front.
Gscott is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gscott View Post
I would avoid the Mag Mounts at all costs. Mine lasted less than 20 uses before the plastic holder broke on the front.
I ordered a few, and right after that people started complaining about things breaking and the strength of the mags.. then he said they were replacing some of them with better mags.. I haven't received my replacements.. several e-mails later, he said their waiting on parts.. I don't get it, but yes, I would steer clear of these.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the magmountz for the 516.

The part that goes in the canopy has too small diameter and won't fit the stock grommets. The supplied grommets don't fit the stock canopy holes. I really think they sent the canopy mounts for a different heli make. I ended up using some dampers from a Blade 400 to fill the gap and some E7 tail blade spacers as a washer.

One of the front magnets fell out. Only a drop of CA holding it in. Cured with a generous amount of epoxy.

They seem to grab well enough.

As for durability, time will tell. SLA has lots of different resins available and I don't know which ones they used. SLA resins are steadily improving as well, so the future may be better.

However, at this time, I don't recommend them due to fit and magnets falling out.

Mounts for other heli models may be better...?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

it seems this guy did little to no research or development, let alone testing..
I guess that's what we're supposed to do.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another warning here about magmountz. Ordered a set for my specter and one of the front arms snapped right out of the package. The back ones simply do not fit properly and the canopy doesn't close. To his credit, he did send me a replacement front set, but I will only use the front ones for fear of breaking in flight.
cbrian4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in