Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PhenixFord

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brushless motors of varying power?

My question is for those with the HH Brushless upgrade... I have done several of the upgrades and fly my CPXs all of the time. I have seen some of the motors with insane head speed and some of the motors with a much lower head speed.

It was making me wonder if perhaps the motor was showing signs of wear or if some motors are just that much better than some. I can say with 100% certainty its strictly variances with the motors because the batteries are all fresh and I have done swaps in the same helicopters in the past.

Anyone seen the same?
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1683 View Post
It was making me wonder if perhaps the motor was showing signs of wear or if some motors are just that much better than some.

Lots of things will change the speed of a motor, Regulating the voltage, regulating the frequency, number of poles / windings. But there is only 1 way that a motor will slow down due to age. And that is bad bearings. You should be able to hear or feel that.
Chris1683 likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I did the easiest test I could think of. I swapped the motor I suspected of being worn into the CPX which had a super fast brushless motor.

The test confirmed it is the motor that must be worn. Looks like I may have to pick up a spare to keep on hand. I do fly the heck out of the little CPX motors so I guess it was only a matter of time until one wore out a bit.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once the HH motor bearings wear out, I would recommend replacing the motor with a BL outrunner and use that with the original HH esc. The esc works very well on other motors. That is what I did and have never looked back. Tons of power with no motor boggs. Keep in mind you do need to swap out the frame to do this. There are cheap 3d printed options that work well.
tryzub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryzub View Post
Once the HH motor bearings wear out, I would recommend replacing the motor with a BL outrunner and use that with the original HH esc. The esc works very well on other motors. That is what I did and have never looked back. Tons of power with no motor boggs. Keep in mind you do need to swap out the frame to do this. There are cheap 3d printed options that work well.
I agree 100% and I actually have several brushless outrunners in my Nano collection - all of which use the stock HH ESC with no issues.

The HH brushless inrunner motors seem to have noticeable variances when they are new which was what sparked my post. Some of them are just flat out monsters and others are just "good."
Old 05-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I found out something after tinkering with the Nano’s the last few days. Rather than go into detail about every part which I changed thinking something was maybe bogging down the brushless motor (I basically rebuilt it to brand new) I ended up deciding to change the one thing I didn’t bother to change - the brushless ESC. I tossed in a new one and BAM! Thing was flying like a monster. I am baffled as to why the brushless ESC works but was causing the motor to be sluggish. Perhaps a failing FET? I’m used to the ESC’s just burning out but I’ve never thought about it “wearing out.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in