Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ivan
  • 1 Post By KC8CYF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)
Default HW 100A V3 and Brain2 Gov

This is a repeat of a question I posted in another thread. (Hobbywing v4 & iKon Gov)

I'm converting an Align 500L from GPro & CastleTalon 90 to Brain2 & Hobbywing 100A v3 (but new). In both cases I amusing Spektrum TX and either a Spektrum Receiver - for GPro or satellites for Brain 2).

I want to set up the HW100A V3 to use the Brain2 Governor.

I connected the Programming Box and my PC. I notice the V3 has different values for Flight Mode (than the V4):
Airplane/Fixed wing
Heli Governor Off
Heli Governor (Elf)
Heli Governor Store

Which mode should I use? I'd opt for Heli Governor Off, but is that correct?

Experimenting... Setting Flight mode to anything other than Elf or Store will cause a continuous beep from the ESC/Motor. Setting Elf or Store will cause the expected 6 Beeps (for 6S) and the final beep. In all cases, the Brain2 will initialise. (IRC).

I've got up to Panel 12 (setting endpoints) and I'm sure it's not working like my other two Brains. HW is currently on Elf setting.

I think I saw where BrainDev (Rik) said with Spektrum I don't need to set endpoints as they are set for me in the SW. Is that correct?

Help!

TIA,
Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I use a 100A V3 in Fixed Wing mode. Panel # 12 is 1070 and 1970.

Having said that, it also has the separate little HW RPM sensor - from two motor wires to RPM port. I cannot recall if I installed it at the time because of HW or Brain issues, and I never bother to take it off.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawiev View Post
Hi, I use a 100A V3 in Fixed Wing mode. Panel # 12 is 1070 and 1970.

Having said that, it also has the separate little HW RPM sensor - from two motor wires to RPM port. I cannot recall if I installed it at the time because of HW or Brain issues, and I never bother to take it off.
Thanks, Dawiev,

After a TX model reset (see my other post about the Rudder travel) the Heli Gov Off mode is now working (correct beeps on power on) - so I'll give Fixed wing mode a go, with your values.

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Dawiev,

Things are coming together. However, I don't seem to be getting any logging from the HW100A V3. I've connected the signal cable from the Programming port of the HW100A to the 5 pin of the 4-5-6 slot of the Brain2 (the +- are isolated as per the Telemetry instructions). However, I'm not getting any Logging information into the Brain2.

My other two ESCs on my Protos 700 & 800 are HW V4 and they're working OK in a similar configuration. I'm not seeing any of the loggable values from the chart on page 2 of 9.

Does the V3 HW100A supply loggable values to the Brain2?

TIA,
Paolo
Old 04-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry but no logging values from V3 ESC to Brain2. Only the V4 has telemetry available for Brain2 logging.

Unisense-E is the way to go for mA consumed on V3 setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC8CYF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run a unisense-E great stuff. But running his setup via spektrum .
dno if that is achievable via sats into the brain ?
unisense to spektrum works adaptor via TM1000 but can it via sats ?

I run my Unisense-E into my jeti. brain doesn't know anything about my unisense
zomaar is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomaar View Post
I run a unisense-E great stuff. But running his setup via spektrum .
dno if that is achievable via sats into the brain ?
unisense to spektrum works adaptor via TM1000 but can it via sats ?

I run my Unisense-E into my jeti. brain doesn't know anything about my unisense
I think the only way to get bidirectional telemetry on Spektrum is with the 4649T. The satellites are only receivers and don't transmit.

Spektrum seems to think that you should buy a $50 module for anything extra. I am surprised they haven't gone the route of selling you a $30 receiver and then making you pay $50 for each channel above the basic four which are enabled through a software switch activated by a $100 program you must install on your PC that links with a $30 adapter chord (which can be upgraded to Bluetooth for $50 and will work with an Android app that only costs $15)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hydros27 likes this.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8CYF View Post
Sorry but no logging values from V3 ESC to Brain2. Only the V4 has telemetry available for Brain2 logging.

Unisense-E is the way to go for mA consumed on V3 setups.

B*gg*r! I was beginning to suspect that, but there had been no definitive statement.

Oh well...

Paolo
Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

MSH Electronics put some clues in the software

See last note regarding telemetry:

Old 04-24-2019, 03:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8CYF View Post
MSH Electronics put some clues in the software

[SNIP]

See last note regarding telemetry:

[SNIP]

Yes, I DID see the clues! But as I said earlier, no definitive statement (such as ONLY works on V4 or later). It might partially work but not be fully supported, you know how it is with software.

Since I'd bought the HW100A V3 3 years ago for another project, but hadn't used it; I thought I had nothing to lose.

I was wrong, I lost time. And I'll eventually need to get rid of the V3 or use it on another project. I have a microBeastX somewhere I can use on my 2nd 550L.

Paolo
Old 04-24-2019, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloFCantoni View Post
Yes, I DID see the clues! But as I said earlier, no definitive statement (such as ONLY works on V4 or later). It might partially work but not be fully supported, you know how it is with software....
We are perfectly aware that there are very few users who read the instructions and then complain that things are not clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OnlyV4.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	789203  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't make it clear, l'm NOT complaining. I "took a punt" and "lucked out". It's ALL "down to me". Unfortunately, you can't see the resigned expression as I write!

Paolo
Old 04-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloFCantoni View Post
[SNIP]
And I'll eventually need to get rid of the V3 or use it on another project. I have a microBeastX somewhere I can use on my 2nd 550L.

I didn't make it clear, I'm NOT complaining. I "took a punt" and "lucked out". It's ALL "down to me". Unfortunately, you can't see the resigned expression as I write!
And to make it perfectly clear, I'm keeping the Brain2 on my main 550L and have now ordered a HW 120A V4 - so I can take full advantage of the logging.

I've just maidened the 550L and it flys well. Just not the logging I'm used to with my Proties. The V4 should get here in a couple of weeks.

I can put the V3 on my other 550L where I can put a microBeast I have in the corner - since neither does any logging, they'll be well matched...

Paolo
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The HW120A V4 has known issues with telemetry. Specifically the current value not going to zero when throttle hold is flipped. Hobbywing has some different firmwares floating around under the same version number (from what I have found) and one might work while the other doesn't. It seems to be specific to the HW V4 120A.

So. Be ready for frustration.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
The HW120A V4 has known issues with telemetry. Specifically the current value not going to zero when throttle hold is flipped. Hobbywing has some different firmwares floating around under the same version number (from what I have found) and one might work while the other doesn't. It seems to be specific to the HW V4 120A.

So. Be ready for frustration.

I have already asked you: Do you have re-updated the firmware of your Hobbywing ESC with the last release, "AND" the firmware of your Brain2?

Form firmware 3.2.010 release notes (you can find under "Help" menu):
• Masked an Hobbywing ESC issue that send ghost current value if throttle is fast cut. Now if the ESC values of Power Out and RPM are either zero, the ghost current sent by ESC is masked to zero
Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best telemetry and logging solution for virtually any ESC is the JLog S32. You can add sensors for additional telemetry and for the HW V3 ESC you need to add a HiTec C200 Hall core current sensor to obtain ampere and mA consumed feedback. The V3 only had voltage and temperature feedback built in.

The Unisense-E is slightly smaller and has inline power cable for direct connection to the ESC. It does not have any built in logging like the JLog.

The JLog logs require use of your PC to pull data from the micro SD card.

Both systems will require some setup with PC software

Castle Creations Edge series ESC’s have great logging built in at no additional cost

Down the road you might want to consider Jeti, Mikado and Graupner for telemetry, logging and FBL integration. I’ve used them all and like Jeti the best for all round general utility, fly and do anything. Sorry FrSky (I know they do the same as Jeti, but I don’t care for the program mixing and FrOS and OpenTX are just too cumbersome for someone who just wants to get through a setup and fly in the same day). Mikado V ecosystem is the best overall, doesn’t require a PC to setup FBL, but has a high investment cost to fully unlock all features and obtain the necessary hardware. Good luck trying to find a NEO or Scorpion Tribunus. But once you’re in it neck deep, it’s an awesome system that flys well and is very simple to tune.

Ikon2/Brain2 is the still the best bang for the buck and integration with Jeti, Spektrum, Graupner makes it very flexible. I fly most of my models on Jeti/Brain and they are every bit as good as the VBC with NEO.

Last edited by KC8CYF; 04-25-2019 at 04:07 PM..
Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

“I fly most of my models on Jeti/Brain and they are not every bit as good as the VBC with NEO.”

You said ‘they are not’, was that your intention?

Steve
Old 04-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Typo. Thanks for catching that.

Both systems fly well when tuned to the model and type flying of flying. That said, just about any system available can be tuned to work and fly well.

crashcopterman likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDev View Post
I have already asked you: Do you have re-updated the firmware of your Hobbywing ESC with the last release, "AND" the firmware of your Brain2?

Form firmware 3.2.010 release notes (you can find under "Help" menu):

• Masked an Hobbywing ESC issue that send ghost current value if throttle is fast cut. Now if the ESC values of Power Out and RPM are either zero, the ghost current sent by ESC is masked to zero
I updated it about four times with no luck. Apparently the Hobbywing updater grabs whatever firmware it wants. There is no choice to do anything else like the Brain/iKon which let's you grab one of the three or four latest updates.

I finally got something to click after using another computer and updating the interface box, then the ESC.

Unfortunately, as you state, it's only a "mask". Meaning Hobbywing didn't actually fix the problem, they just made it look like it is fixed. This does little to inspire confidence in the brand. As far as I am concerned this is the last Hobbywing ESC I will ever own. Their support is non-existent, their products are faulty and their solutions are a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

As for MSH support, you're here. You answer questions, even when you could just say "RTFM!" and you support your product, in a personal and professional manner.

So....when is MSH going to start making ESCs? Just saying.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered the V4 on 24th April and eBay told me it would arrive on 7th May. (Living in the most isolated capital city on Earth - you get used to this). However, on 29th April, it landed on my doorstep. It's now installed in the 550L and is happily talking to the Brain2!

One Happy Chappie!

Thanks to all for their input. As mentioned, I upgraded (actually reloaded) the firmware to the latest available.

Paolo

Last edited by PaoloFCantoni; 04-30-2019 at 06:51 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in