Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By colonelKernel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 480 xxtreme. What is the smallest size blades you could run?

It seems the largest without stretching are the VTX 477, but does anyone know what the smallest would be? I'm curious because i'm going to get a 480 and i'm seen some cheaper prices at the 430mm range. Wasn't sure if running 430mm would be an issue. Anyone know?

XL 520 Stock motor, OMG cyclic servos, KST tail, HW 100amp ESC, Ikon 2 FBL.
Blades345 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run rt 480 and zeal 480. Pretty sure 430 would work however at a slightly higher headspeed however never tried it.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't bother with anything less than 470. My personal favorite is VTX 477. It's much heavier than a 430 class heli, so it would probably fly like a pig. It's designed around 470-480, I'd fly it that way.

ALIGN 470mm blades can be had for $32. If you're on a tight budget blade wise, get those. I have never had any issues with them, I flew them on my T-REX 500X (same size class heli as the LOGO 480)
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Number, how would you compare Logo to a Trex 500X? Which one you prefer?
colonelKernel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can’t fly like him, but the 500x has a very low tail ratio.
I’ll take the logo over the 500X any day
Old 04-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are both nice machines, sans the 500X's pathetic tail ratio which can of course be fixed with my tail upgrade pulley. But then you still have a MXL tail belt that likes to slip under load. It works but it's not ideal. The LOGO with a XL belt will never slip in flight.

I never crashed either of them, but most ALIGN helis tend to be pretty robust in a crash, compared to the plastic LOGOs which tend to break a bit more.

I didn't enjoy working on the LOGO 480. It's not the easiest heli to work on, certainly not as easy as the 500X. Things like servo replacements were not fun. The 500X has a much easier and better servo arrangement IMO. On the 480 if you want to change the servos, mainly the center one, you have to separate the frames or at the very least take the entire head off and the top bearing block out. Not fun. Also not a fan of needing snap ring pliers to change the main gear or main shaft.

The 480 is also limited in servo height, too tall of servos will hit the main shaft so you need spacers which will affect servo geometry. I had this issue when I went to put KST MS589s into the cyclic on my 480, I had to put spacers between the servos and the frame to keep them from hitting the main shaft.

They both fly great. The LOGO tail is more foolproof and powerful, and will never blow out while even with a faster tail ratio the tail on the 500X can be made to blow out, usually from the belt slipping no matter how tight you make the belt. The LOGO 480 is a much smoother machine, herringbone gear is quiet and smooth as can be and being a LOGO it has the classic LOGO feel, thanks to the largely plastic construction. All LOGOs have a feel to them that only LOGOs have. It's pleasant. Just overall very smooth and precise.

If I were to buy one of them right now it would be the 480. I wouldn't mind a 500X either, I'd just have to upgrade the tail ratio as soon as I got it. But the 480 is also a lot more expensive, so if you're on a budget, the 500X super combo is a fair bit cheaper and still a good option.

With VTX blades (477) you can expect very good flight times, low power usage and nice easy flying on both helis. Honestly as long as VTX 477s are available, I wouldn't buy any other blade in the size.

T REX 500X | VTX 477 at 1900rpm (3 min 59 sec)

LOGO 480 XXtreme - 1900rpm (3 min 29 sec)
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies guys, ordered 480, stock setup with Neo, will report back once I get it in the air
Dsss and Number like this.
colonelKernel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in