Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 05:50 PM   #1021 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Very simple. Put on a longer tail boom from a 250 or make one (aluminum knitting needles work good) then just install 250mm or 255mm main blades. DONE

I use a 450 canopy for better visibility (old eyes) which fits fine. If all you want to do is fly around upright you can put up to a 2300mAh lipo under that and go 20 minutes.

What is the length of the 250 boom?
thank you
captjack01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #1022 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjack01 View Post
What is the length of the 250 boom?
thank you
You can make it any length you like if you make your own from knitting needles. The ones I've seen for 250 helis are generally 241-245 mm. You may have to extend the tail wires depending on how you route them. I just spliced in a little extra.

If you want to try the bigger blades alone you can just put them on and it will work with the standard boom for sport flying.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #1023 (permalink)
Registered Users

I want to use one of my 230's just for fast sport flying. don't know if I should stretch it, or buy a speed fuselage from Microheli
Old 05-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #1024 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was super windy (25-30 mph) and gusty today but the 255S did very well using 1350 packs for some extra weight.
lucidchaos likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #1025 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my V2 a little over a week ago. I had been flying a sim and Nano S2 for a few weeks before that.
I had been flying the V2 in the back yard practicing my hovers, pirouettes, and very small figure 8s. Trying to get comfortable with the idea of the bigger heli.

Yesterday evening I took it out to the local park and let it stretch its wings. It's so much more fun flying when It has room to move around. I'm still ran a few packs of upright pirouettes, but then let it loose with some large almost stall turns, and figure 8s. I was starting to get a little too comfortable with the speed and distance so I had to reel it back in to settle my nerves.

I played hooky from work this morning to visit the park again. I had my first actual crash which bent the tailboom a little. Gently bent it back into place, and got back up in the air. I started to get a lot smoother on my sweeping figure 8s. (smooth right turns still elude me sometimes though)

I came back with a big grin.
Brick likes this.
phlakvest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #1026 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skipping work to fly, that's commitment to a hobby. Or some would say addiction
xoexoe and phlakvest like this.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #1027 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your Blade 230s today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
Skipping work to fly, that's commitment to a hobby. Or some would say addiction

Skipping? No. You mean reallocating work schedules to increase future productivity.

Which means procrastinate so youíll be busy later.

Thatís a big thumbs up from me!
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #1028 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've taken a "sick" day to work on and fly helis. But really, it's like a mental health day. With all the free OT given to my company, I certainly don't feel guilty for a break here and there. I've had plenty of my weekends and evenings taken by work.
Heli on and take your mental health breaks fellas.
blarks and BrokeDad like this.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #1029 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your Blade 230s today?

Finally found time to put a new frame on. Well, put everything on a new frame is more accurate. Thereís nothing fun about it.

Also wrapped some orange electrical tape around the boom for added visibility. Iím dropping the extra weight of the Microheli full fuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
This weekend was all about crashing.

My 230 S V2 frame was already cracked from a previous crash. Today a moderate crash caused big damage.

New frame time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by xoexoe; 05-11-2019 at 04:25 PM..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #1030 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like you might have hit the ground upside down there. I did that plenty of time learning to do inverted circuits. Replacing the frame is a pain of a job. I really hate those little screws and the fact that all the electrical connections need to come apart.

I have one heli with the Rakon frame which is easier to work with but I don't like the way the tail boom is held and the bracket breaks easily. I am working on an idea I have where the tail boom is held by two rubber grommets. I have found some that are quite a tight push fit on the tail boom. The object is to mount these in a thin sheet metal bracket so the tail boom is a push in affair with just friction holding it. Also the rubber might be a good vibration isolator. I will post pictures when I can get my camera talking to my computer again.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #1031 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan114 View Post
I really hate those little screws and the fact that all the electrical connections need to come apart.
Some of the screws are short and lose grip/spin easily if you tighten just a bit too much. I've replaced several of them with longer and slightly larger ones. The ones holding the boom and motor mount come to mind.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #1032 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was flying my V1 today, I accidently hit the throttle hold switch like 70 feet up. I switched it back....it didn't like that ! popped off a dog bone and it dropped like a rock. I figured all servos would have been trashed. I was surprised only thing broke was the frame ( in the usual spot ).

This thing can take a beating
Old 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #1033 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Man Down. Temporarily.

I had my first crash resulting in broken parts. I was practicing my stall turns, came out a little too low, and either caught a wind gust, or just didn't have enough power and smacked the ground.

I bent the tail boom, and broke the control horn on a blade grip.

I straightened out the boom, and replaced the grip, but I'm a little concerned about the crease in the boom.

I flew it some after the repairs and it didn't have any issues, but I would hate for the boom to fail mid flight. I have a replacement boom, and some knitting needles on the way, but should I reinforce it a little with some epoxy and carbon tow in the mean time?

Also after the crash I was feeling a little brave and did my first flip. The first one was at IU1, and felt like it took forever to continue once I made it upside down. I switched to IU2, and those ones felt a lot better, but after a handful of flips I was shaking too much, and had to land.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #1034 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shame you lost the dog bone otherwise you would have been ok. I would say once you have hit TH leave it. Unless you have really hard ground it will usually survive ok. I fly over grass and the heli will be ok hitting that . If it is high up it usually orientates upright so the skis hit first but I have never broken them in a dead stick landing.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #1035 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday I was doing tic-tocs and let the motor bog a bit. Tried to level it out but bounced the tail pretty good. It still flew but the tail was screaming to keep up.

Fortunately, I had spares. Replaced the tail rotor and put it back in the air.

The tail still couldn't keep up. Wasn't sure if it was motor bearings or what.

To keep a long story short, I took the motor off and checked everything for smoothness and balance. It checked out. Took it out again and the tail was just whining like nobody's business.

Eureka.

Flipped the tail rotor. Holds like a boss

This was the first crash that actually did damage I couldn't fly away from 100%... Hell of a little beater bird.
Gaui X5 HW 100A V3,Gaui 4020-910,KST, iKon
lucidchaos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #1036 (permalink)
Registered Users

Around 16 flights on weekends. Got the Zeal 238mm main blades and decides to white color spray on skid. Looks great.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #1037 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlakvest View Post
I had my first crash resulting in broken parts. I was practicing my stall turns, came out a little too low, and either caught a wind gust, or just didn't have enough power and smacked the ground.

I bent the tail boom, and broke the control horn on a blade grip.

I straightened out the boom, and replaced the grip, but I'm a little concerned about the crease in the boom.

I flew it some after the repairs and it didn't have any issues, but I would hate for the boom to fail mid flight. I have a replacement boom, and some knitting needles on the way, but should I reinforce it a little with some epoxy and carbon tow in the mean time?

Also after the crash I was feeling a little brave and did my first flip. The first one was at IU1, and felt like it took forever to continue once I made it upside down. I switched to IU2, and those ones felt a lot better, but after a handful of flips I was shaking too much, and had to land.
Your boom will not fail in flight, no benefit to reinforce.

Save to grip ball.
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #1038 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Fred.
I still have the broken horn in my bag, so I'll save it in case I need the ball at some point.

Too late on reinforcing the boom. I glued an ugly strip of carbon there, but the glue didn't stick well to the aluminum, so I'll probably peel it off.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #1039 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like mentioned, it will probably hold. If anything, you could stick something inside the boom to push out the dent.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #1040 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liduno View Post
Like mentioned, it will probably hold. If anything, you could stick something inside the boom to push out the dent.
I turned up a bit of metal to be a good sliding fit in the tail boom. It has a domed end and I put some grease over the end when tapping out the dents. The grease seems to help a lot. Funny but since I bought a batch of knitting needles I haven't broken a tail - typical

I have also bought the metal blade grips as the plastic ones are not well designed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in