Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By OnTheSnap
  • 1 Post By nflanagin
  • 1 Post By OnTheSnap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brain2/Ikon2 vs Axon

Has anyone here used both systems, and could you compare the "feel" of each. I'm also very interested in comparing how well the rescue feature works on both. I have been a die hard Bavarian Demon fan, and the rescue has been flawless.

I need an option on my smaller models, and I'm considering making a switch. I just want to know what, if anything, I'll be giving up. I'm using a DX9 and have everything from an Oxy2 to a TDR. Making the switch on all of my models would be a little painful, but it doesn't look like Spektrums SRXL and the Axon work together (at least based on my personal testing). Any advise or comparisons would be helpful as this has the potential to cost me a good chunk of money. My goal is have an awesome FBL with a highly reliable rescue that can be hooked up via multiple DSMX sats or a Spektrum telemetry RX such as the SPM4649T. It needs to be a bulletproof solution because I don't want to risk my investment or my safety on my larger helis if it's not. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
gemmellsc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Opinions are nice. But it’s better to just get one unit first, test it and make your own call on whether to switch or not on the rest of the fleet..

I recently bought a vTouch, vBar and tried it out on a known machine. I didn’t like it, and strongly prefer my Brain/Jeti setup. No way to find this out without trying it myself and making my own opinion.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I came looking for the same comparison.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
I recently bought a vTouch, vBar and tried it out on a known machine. I didnít like it, and strongly prefer my Brain/Jeti setup. No way to find this out without trying it myself and making my own opinion.

I knew it, I knew it - that's why you've been so quiet. Welcome back, OnTheSnap!!
OnTheSnap likes this.
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't mind investing in a unit for one of my larger helis to give it a try, but I would like to hear some opinions of others that say have already gone through the same thing I'm going through.

I bought a uBrain2 for an Oxy2 I'm trying to set up, but I'm having Amain swap it out due to it being DOA. May be two weeks before I have that all sorted and in the air. Lot of wasted time, and I don't think that would be a fair comparison as it's a smaller heli.

I like the fact that Brain2/Ikon2 can cover me from my smallest to largest models using the same software and features, but I'm not super excited about giving anything up from a performance standpoint (if there is any). I've had zero issues with my BD products. Just trying to get a feel for what I "should" expect before spending money. I realize they are only opinions, but it would be helpful.
gemmellsc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmellsc View Post
I don't mind investing in a unit for one of my larger helis to give it a try, but I would like to hear some opinions of others that say have already gone through the same thing I'm going through.

I bought a uBrain2 for an Oxy2 I'm trying to set up, but I'm having Amain swap it out due to it being DOA. May be two weeks before I have that all sorted and in the air. Lot of wasted time, and I don't think that would be a fair comparison as it's a smaller heli.

I like the fact that Brain2/Ikon2 can cover me from my smallest to largest models using the same software and features, but I'm not super excited about giving anything up from a performance standpoint (if there is any). I've had zero issues with my BD products. Just trying to get a feel for what I "should" expect before spending money. I realize they are only opinions, but it would be helpful.
Even hearing opinions you have to try it for yourself
senzafine likes this.

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 04-20-2019 at 01:49 AM..
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe if I'd had someone help me with setup that first time, I'd have stuck with it, but VControl just wasn't for me. I thought I was the only one...LOL
Old 05-13-2019, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

not the only one.
etherbatxx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I switched from BeastX to iKON2 and it was night and day better with iKON2/Brain. I have tried VBar and did not like it as much as iKON2/Brain.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Maybe if I'd had someone help me with setup that first time, I'd have stuck with it, but VControl just wasn't for me. I thought I was the only one...LOL

About the same story for me.
I was just coming back to the hobby. Alex sent my club a brain 2 HD BT as a raffle donation. I was going to go with that platform because of this... buuuut... Everyone told me to try the vbar and vcontrol... I just didnt "get it" when I got that combo. I tried to fly a bit with it.

I got a Futaba 16SZ and now everything (im all nitro) is Ikon/Brain HD and wish I just went with that originally and stuck to it because I really enjoy the hobby again.
H
elifreak Special Bacon Awareness Committee
Wurger is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I canít speak about the axon, but having like 10 brain2 / ikon2 equipped helis currently, I can confidently recommend them. My only other experience is with the ar7200bx. I absolutely love the brains/ikons. Helis fly great, and the feature list is:

A) huge for the $
B) updated for free
C) always growing
D) obviously heavily influenced by community feedback

In the couple years Iíve flown these, Iíve seen huge developments. I would give one a try.

SAB\OXY\SYNERGY\MSH\XLPOWER\GAUI Fanboy
slogoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

Sold my VBC and NEO last week to go back to and stick with MSH gyros.

Itís still the best value full featured FBL unit available. VBC/NEO was great too, but cost and lack of available parts made it impossible to switch over for this season. As a sport pilot I could not see any performance difference in flight with both systems tuned and flown on the same exact model. neo was faster path to tune using the trim flight... but not worth the cost for switching FBL, ESCís and or MUIís.

Iím trying an Axon now on one model and keeping Brain2ís on everything else. Axon reminds me of how the old 3digi flew before the version 2 software update for rescue. Itís simple enough to setup but the instructions pale in comparison to MSH instructions, help files and this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC8CYF is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in