Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 180CFX

180CFX Blade 180CFX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default STARTING OVER with the 180CFX

Re: STARTING OVER with the 180CFX
Would HeliFreakers share their experiences of owning the 180CFX and suggest what they would do if they were STARTING OVER?
There are some closing down sale offers now that the 180CFX is nearing the end of its commercial life and as the new owner of a pre-loved and as yet unflown 180 I am aware of the temptation to buy "cheap" upgrades which may have doubtful "benefits". Is the best advice "If in doubt do nowt"?
With the benefit of hindsight what would you do? Any information gratefully received.
NOTE : For those who cannot understand North Country English try this link:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=nowt&f...505f064e462d06
tony#1 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made clutched torque tubes. Saves the gears.

Lynx front aluminum tail mount.
Better skids. Stock break easily.
Metal gears for the servos.
Metal servo tops.

Other than that it was awesome and reliable after these few changes.

Some like the lynx aluminum swash. I was 50/50 on that. Felt better, but didn't know if this was placebo effect.

It's a great handling heli and lots of fun.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definitely do the 'servo saver' mod. I cut a slit in each of the cyclic servo arms and the servos have survived at least three crashes without stripping the plastic gears. You have to 'reset' them to 90 after the crash though.

Check the bullet connectors on the main motor and repair or reinforce the solder joints if necessary. Also try to route those wires to the ESC without the sharp bends and wire-cramming as the heli comes stock. The velcro strap is routed through that area and every time you change the battery you end up flexing the wires and eventually one or more of the motor bullets breaks off. I mount my ESC to the outside of the frame - now the wires gently bend and are not crammed at all.

Slowing it down allowed me to enjoy the heli even more since I'm not a smack-3D pilot.

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 04-22-2019 at 03:50 PM..
FR4-Pilot is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh yeah. Do the servo saver mod as fr4 said. Another headache saver for plastic or metal gears.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the skids for the Align 250 which gives the 180 a much stabler takeoff and landing base easy to mod, plus I use the 180 torque tube as a tail push rod just cut to proper length and epoxy in wire connectors and eliminate the flimsy wire
zeplen55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
I made clutched torque tubes. Saves the gears.

Lynx front aluminum tail mount.
Better skids. Stock break easily.
Metal gears for the servos.
Metal servo tops.

Other than that it was awesome and reliable after these few changes.

Some like the lynx aluminum swash. I was 50/50 on that. Felt better, but didn't know if this was placebo effect.

It's a great handling heli and lots of fun.
Thanks Thickfog. Your reference to a placebo effect is very much to the point. It is all subjective when deciding if any changes are warranted. By your reference to the Lynx front aluminium tail mount I guess you mean this?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/lynx-he...yx1616/p490647

Last edited by tony#1; 04-22-2019 at 11:33 PM..
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeplen55 View Post
I use the skids for the Align 250 which gives the 180 a much stabler takeoff and landing base easy to mod, plus I use the 180 torque tube as a tail push rod just cut to proper length and epoxy in wire connectors and eliminate the flimsy wire
Thanks zeplen55. The torque tube mod is a new one to me.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the Lynx Stretch Kit on nearly all My 180CFX's...LX1523

Solved any tail issues - comes with servo rod and ball link for the servo arm - tail boom - torque tube - boom supports - main blades - tail blades - 9T pinion

I never changed a pinion...just used the stock blades to increase tail authority

If you can find one...it's the absolute best upgrade this heli can have
Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
I use the Lynx Stretch Kit on nearly all My 180CFX's...LX1523

Solved any tail issues - comes with servo rod and ball link for the servo arm - tail boom - torque tube - boom supports - main blades - tail blades - 9T pinion

I never changed a pinion...just used the stock blades to increase tail authority

If you can find one...it's the absolute best upgrade this heli can have
So,JonJet, to be absolutely clear, you sourced the LX1523 kit and did not use the 9T pinion or the 180 mm main rotor blades but retained the 10T pinion and 160 mm (155 mm?) main rotor blades from your original 180CFX with the 36 mm tail rotor blades from the kit. Correct?
Is the rest of your 180CFX stock?
Any information gratefully received.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony#1 View Post
So,JonJet, to be absolutely clear, you sourced the LX1523 kit and did not use the 9T pinion or the 180 mm main rotor blades but retained the 10T pinion and 160 mm (155 mm?) main rotor blades from your original 180CFX with the 36 mm tail rotor blades from the kit. Correct?
Is the rest of your 180CFX stock?
Any information gratefully received.
Correct...

I used everything in the Stretch Kit except the pinion and main blades

It flies much better...no bogging and more tail authority

Most of My 180CFX fleet has been sold...most did have a few upgrades...swash - servo savers - nothing major

But the best flying models I had ALL had the stretch kit as above
Old 04-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks Thickfog. Your reference to a placebo effect is very much to the point. It is all subjective when deciding if any changes are warranted. By your reference to the Lynx front aluminium tail mount I guess you mean this?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/lynx-he...yx1616/p490647
Yes! My mount would let loose constantly and break too easily. This was magical.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 for the Align 250 skids, if you can still find them. They are heavier, but tougher than woodpecker lips!
Old 05-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

As for a landing skid upgrade, I recommend Lynx "Ultraflex". Nice and wide and , so far, indestructible. They also have a spot on them that makes mounting a satellite receiver very easy(I need it for the IK2N micro FBL). Also, as far as upgrades to make the "180CFX" experience, more enjoyable, servo savers, metal gears and Lynx tail boom supports are a must. I wouldn't recommend the 180 as a trainer, to anyone, but if that's what you start with and make it to "Sport Flyer" status, get carbon blades.

Hindsight is 20/20 but "Starting Over" I'd just build an Oxy2!
Flyguytruckguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default No need for "upgrades"

Keep it bone stock and tame it down if you're not a hard core 3D pilot - (I highly recommend FR4-Pilot's excellent "taming-it-down" blog). You'll need to get a Castle link adapter to program the Talon 15 governor mode. The only needed "upgrade" is the servo saver mod (and/or possibly a set of metal gear cyclic servos - I think the latest gen comes stock with them). And get some spare torque tubes, main gears and tail gears. I did upgrade my skids to the Lynx - they raise the tail a bit and give it a "TDRish" look.

Worked for me!

Last edited by ridge-runner; 05-02-2019 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Added "main gears" to list of essential spares
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ridge-Runner !
Old 05-03-2019, 12:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's my list of 'must do's' that made a difference for me in how mine flies (and how well it crashes). I've got about 400 flights on mine and owned it for a few years.
I'm no smack 3d pilot so beginner 3d and sport is where I'm at.

1. Servo saver mod
2. Lynx boom clamp metal bits
3. Metal servo tops
4. Lynx swashplate
5. Change fbl to another brand micro fbl
6. H3060 tail servo
7. Scotch tape on tail end of boom when attaching the tailbox
8. Different colour blade/tail blades/boom/canopy to aid with visibility

Details
1. Cut the servo spline as detailed in posts elsewhere on this board. My experience : after doing this You can keep those plastic geared servos as theyre very unlikely to strip once this has been done
2. My booms were constantly not quite holding and could be quite easily rotated slightly, added these on the stock boom block and problem solved, boom held rock solid , https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...7fc8f9b46c339a
3. Those stock servo plastic tabs : nightmare and they break if you look at them wrong! Change to these and all problems solved
4. Bit more subjective but I think I saw an improvement in 'locked in-ness' when I changed to this
5. Biggest improvement by far in how it flies better + having rescue invaluable I went with micro brain 2 but I think any micro fbl well known brand would provide same performance improvement
6. I find the stock tail box can sometimes twist even after screwing it down so adding a strip of this on back of boom then putting tailbox over it, while being a pita, removes that
7. The ds76tj is a bit jittery and doesn't hold up well in a crash, h3060 is a solid servo that holds tail well and has more longevity. Note I also had to use this because I wanted to install servo in stock location : https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...7fc8f9b46c339a which I believe means you need https://www.lynxheli.com/product_inf...7fc8f9b46c339a
8. The 180 is small so any aid in visibility helps when U end up in some weird orientation, thus I've played with various options of colours. All help so mix and match

I've also tried lynx landing gear. It's good for visibility but is a bit heavier and far from unbreakable. After having a few of these Ive gone back to stock since expense of buying new ones wasn't worth it and the 180 is a bit heavy as it is

Adding all of my list above not cheap but my 180 now flies AND CRASHES way better than when it was stock!
sleeperaus is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Re: STARTING OVER with the 180CFX
Would HeliFreakers share their experiences of owning the 180CFX and suggest what they would do if they were STARTING OVER?
There are some closing down sale offers now that the 180CFX is nearing the end of its commercial life and as the new owner of a pre-loved and as yet unflown 180 I am aware of the temptation to buy "cheap" upgrades which may have doubtful "benefits". Is the best advice "If in doubt do nowt"?
With the benefit of hindsight what would you do? Any information gratefully received.
NOTE : For those who cannot understand North Country English try this link:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=nowt&f...505f064e462d06
Just the servo saver mod to start with...one of the best flying helis out of the box so don't change it unless you are dissatisfied with something...

Also, may want to stretch it to make it more "floaty", depending on your skill and goals...
heli227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks to sleeperaus and heli227 for their input to this thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in