Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Nano S2

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris1683
  • 1 Post By jorgeurizar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Rainbows are harder than they look

Literally all I've done the past several months is learn to piro. Flipping has always been a means to an end for me. If I want to do inverted piros, I'll flip. If I want to land on my skid instead of my blades, I'll flip back to upright.

Decided to try a new move today that actually incorporates a little flipping. What you see is my honest first attempt at rainbows. (I find I just can't sit down and sim... don't have the self-discipline to do things I find boring [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/dontknow.gif[/IMG] . I know I should...)

What you see is 5 packs’ worth of attempts at 4 mins each. Started out great but quickly devolved.

First rainbow attempts—Nano S2—2019-05-27 (8 min 50 sec)

If you feel compelled to give suggestions, please do! My own feeling is that I need "better collective management" (whatever that means... Not full collective I guess? Coming on more gradually?). Also just plain practice. My rainbows are asymmetric.

After I went through 5 packs on the S2 did a couple packs through my Oxy 2. It was so much easier on the Oxy! Wow! Unfortunately the video didn't come out due to framing issues, though I can say I didn't crash it once. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/icon_ peace.gif[/IMG]

Lots of work to do on this move. I'm hoping to add to this thread later for a little documentation.

Anyone else learning them?
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

First off, nice video and good flying! It takes time to learn any new maneuver and stick time is the only way to improve.

It sounds to me like your S2 motor is struggling a bit. If you haven't changed it out yet, you may want to replace it. Rainbows require a good amount of power to be done well and look fluid.

Since the rainbow is basically like a long stretched out half-flip, what you can do is practice smaller half flips. Once you are able to "catch" the heli at the half point, try to hover it for about 1 second before flipping back the other way and then do the same there.

I always find that after trying to learn a new trick it's good to take a break from it for about a day. It gives your brain a chance to make those muscle-memory connections.
xoexoe likes this.
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

As it happens, I’ve got a brushless motor upgrade in the mail. The one from Horizon Hobby. Hoping I see a difference after installing.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work on the flying. Only rainbows here are the ones around rain storms. I just like putting around the sky with a little loop or roll now and then. Don't even do piros much.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
As it happens, I’ve got a brushless motor upgrade in the mail. The one from Horizon Hobby. Hoping I see a difference after installing.
You should see a fairly big difference over the stock brushed motor. Just remember to keep flights around 4 minutes each and let the motors cool after each flight. It will extend the life of the motors - both brushed and brushless.
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey man, nice practice!

Those little helis don't like abrupt changes on your collective, if you want to clean them up in that bird, you should do them slowly, as the first comment says, stabilize the heli on the normal and inverted parts of the rainbow, give the heli some time to get rpms up again, let it breath. No more power needed it can be done!

Can see you lacking a little bit on the inverted side, don't be anal about it, just give yourself more little inverted hover time, in every possible orientation. As little time you put in to that you'll see the rainbow smoothing out.
xoexoe likes this.
jorgeurizar is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man - your videos - its always nice and sunny out there it seems ... rains here all the damn time

Great flying!
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

As I commented on my love/hate relationship with this heli, the problem is it is actually harder to fly other than basic stuff because it lacks power. You need to be really good on the collective to avoid bogging the motor down. It is an art that will take me very long to perfect.

I would try that stuff on your Oxy. Indeed that will be way easier to do. It's not crash-proof as the S2 so you will probably crash it a bit more and needing to repair it but it's a size that is still budget conscious.

With the brushless upgrade that may change. My Trex 150X is for doing more advanced stuff (well to me at least hehe) as I was able to do inverted funnels (well to me an inverted funnel is going from an inverted hurricane to a funnel or in other words a disc out, tail down funnel).

But for stuff that needs even MORE power (and having crappy collective management) like tic tocs, only my G380 and above can do them. Pretty sure your Oxy has the power to do them as well so I would move those types of maneuvers to Oxy practice as you may end up frustrated with the S2. If you manage to get them on the S2 though you may end up being the next Kyle Stacy
Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It helped for me to stretch them so they get bigger. I did this by feeding in collecting and cyclic a bit slower. Especially if you feed in cyclic slower and a bit more gentle you have more room to experiment with collective. You will gain a little more height and have a bit more of an arc.

Other than that, i would say you did a very good job.

Without a sim, i would be lost and wouldnt be able to do stuff like this or new stuff.
Shonkonray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

A really good pilot once told me to just work on “stopping” the heli. Don’t try to do rainbows or tic tocs. First “stop” the heli.

So just flip from upright to inverted and use just enough collective to “stop” it. The idea is to learn how much collective you need to just flip and stop while keeping altitude.

Then you start to widen that into a rainbow. Once you got that you narrow the rainbow into a tic toc. But it all starts with learning how much you need to just stop the heli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Over the last few years I had more than a dozen of HH's brushless kits for the nCPX...

I liked two...sold the rest

My main motor upgrade of choice is the OverSky outrunner...Mine was done by Mega's Micros

You may find that the tail needs a bit more authority with the brushless upgrade...either longer boom or larger tail motor

I went with both options and used the mCPX extended tail boom and the OverSky 7mm tail motor

Sure...time you are done with full-bling it's a $300 heli...but it whips the snot out of anything HH is making...thrice the price and 10 times the performance
Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Damn you guys are great. Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Here are some responses to the comments:

* I am indeed rusty on my inverted skills. Just learned them this month. On a typical session now I'll probably spend 3 batteries piro-ing inverted and 2 practicing rainbows.

* I did try rainbows on the Oxy right after that video was filmed. It was way easier! Still ugly, but doable, and no crashing. But this also made me want to get better at collective management by using the Nano.

* Practicing to 'stop' the heli just makes sense. I actually appreciate how amazing those look by the pros when done well at high headspeed. One step at a time. Then transitioning these to larger rainbows, then shorter, then tic-tocs... Sounds like a plan.

* I do have a solid Lynx stretch boom that is unused right now. I had installed it on my CP S when I flew that, but I didn't feel it was needed on the S2. At least not yet. I'll see about installing it when the HH brushless kit comes.

* Oh, and don't let my sunny videos fool you, Darren. I don't fly when it's raining here in the Pacific Northwest! The sample is biased.

Aug 2019: Oxy 3+ — Oxy 2 — Nano S2 & CP X — T-Rex 150X — Spirit FBL — FrSky Horus X10S
Old 05-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

* Oh, and don't let my sunny videos fool you, Darren. I don't fly when it's raining here in the Pacific Northwest! The sample is biased.

Maybe but we had one sunny day like that in the last couple weeks
EDIT: And then we had a severe thunderstorm and tornado that night
darren.ankney@gmail.com is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in