Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Fusion 180

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Took my Fusion 180 out today for some more fun. My first flight ended in a pretty nice crash (bottom video). I ended up having to replace the main blades and feathering spindle and she was back in the air within 5 minutes as good as new.

Both videos were filmed in 4K @ 60fps

Blade Fusion 180 - Low Head Speed 3D (4 min 10 sec)

Here was the flight that ended with the crash:

Blade Fusion 180 - Low Head Speed 3D w/CRASH (2 min 47 sec)
FR4-Pilot and xoexoe like this.
Chris1683 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice skills! You've come a long way since that inverted hovering video you did with the Nano.

Great to see that the Fusion 180 is easily fixable!

Thanks for sharing!!!
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would be wary about flying immediately after replacing the feathering spindle as the loctite has yet to set. I have had several instances where the head exploded in mid-air.

Nice garden and nice flying though.
navigator2011 likes this.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great videos! It's given me some ideas of things to work on.
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I would be wary about flying immediately after replacing the feathering spindle as the loctite has yet to set. I have had several instances where the head exploded in mid-air.

Nice garden and nice flying though.
Thanks! I’ve never had such an issue (and hopefully never will). Was your issue with the micros or larger sized helis? I can see the forces being much greater on the bigger bladed models but it has never really concerned me all that much on the micros.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade Fusion 180 BNF - BLH5850 (belt-driven tail, MG servos, 4s)

A couple of us have had the Nano S2 feathering shaft fly apart in flight, or almost come apart.

Mine did because I didn’t put sufficient thread locker on, but I’d imagine it’d be similar if you do out enough on but don’t let it cure.

xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1683 View Post
Took my Fusion 180 out today for some more fun. My first flight ended in a pretty nice crash (bottom video). I ended up having to replace the main blades and feathering spindle and she was back in the air within 5 minutes as good as new.

https://youtu.be/2lLDnu5QQ7E

https://youtu.be/wbs_dUTH7sY
Nice flying, and in tight quarters too

I see your swing jumped out into your heli's path - my swimming pool ladder did the same thing
Chris1683 likes this.
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Nice flying, and in tight quarters too

I see your swing jumped out into your heli's path - my swimming pool ladder did the same thing
Better the ladder than the side of the pool! I had one more crash later that day...right into one of the patio chairs. It sounded awful but surprisingly it only damaged the main blades. So far this 180 Fusion has held up GREAT in crashes.

I really like how it flies with the lower head speed - around 70% flat throttle curve. I increased the pitch travel to 110 to make up for the slower speed and it seems to really make for a nice tame flight. When this thing is at 75% throttle it really cranks! I'll save that for the open fields.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks! I’ve never had such an issue (and hopefully never will). Was your issue with the micros or larger sized helis? I can see the forces being much greater on the bigger bladed models but it has never really concerned me all that much on the micros.
My issue was mainly with micros even when I was sure I had applied loctite correctly. Once, the head of a 450 exploded on the ground. I wasn't sure what happened until I saw a few drops of blood on the ground. One of the blades had hit my middle finger. That time, I had not applied loctite correctly.

I flew another 3 flights today and was able to eliminate the cyclic shake and tail wag. The elevator servo died after the last flight. So, it is two servos dead within a few flights. Also, the motor kept on being cut because of a defective satellite receiver cable. As a result, I damaged a canopy post and 2 landing gear mounts. I am using a pair of Lynx Skids and Lynx Posts. I also replaced the stock tail push rod assembly entirely with a self made carbon fiber pushrod. (See picture below). I did this because I feel that the stock setup is very liable to binding and thus a potential cause of the tail wag. I am also using a Lynx bell crank and tail pitch slider.

rlh1975 and Chris1683 like this.

Last edited by zadaw; 06-13-2019 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I was first starting out with helis, I encountered videos of feathering shafts unscrewing in flight, bolts snapping, blades flying off, and rotor heads exploding in the air. Scared the crap out of me!

For this reason, I always use red thread lock on feathering shaft screws and let it cure for not less than 24 hours. I'd rather toss an entire rotor head than have the blades shoot off and hit me, others, or damage property.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
My issue was mainly with micros even when I was sure I had applied loctite correctly. Once, the head of a 450 exploded on the ground. I wasn't sure what happened until I saw a few drops of blood on the ground. One of the blades had hit my middle finger. That time, I had not applied loctite correctly.

I flew another 3 flights today and was able to eliminate the cyclic shake and tail wag. The elevator servo died after the last flight. So, it is two servos dead within a few flights. Also, the motor kept on being cut because of a defective satellite receiver cable. As a result, I damaged a canopy post and 2 landing gear mounts. I am using a pair of Lynx Skids and Lynx Posts. I also replaced the stock tail push rod assembly entirely with a self made carbon fiber pushrod. (See picture below). I did this because I feel that the stock setup is very liable to binding and thus a potential cause of the tail wag. I am also using a Lynx bell crank and tail pitch slider.

I just did the carbon fiber push rod as well. I've done this too on other helis, so thankfully I had some extra around. Good to hear it may have helped cyclic shake. I've been hitting that too and been trying to find a solution. Hopefully my next flight will be nice and smooth.
rlh1975 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 05:29 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cannot believe it, a second cyclic servo failed after 8 flights today. This makes 3 servos in 3 days.

Day 1 - Tail Servo DOA
Day 2 - Elevator Cyclic Servo
Day 3 - R Cyclic Servo

I have never had this problem before with the old H2060 180CFX servos. Either I am very unlucky or I am dealing with a bad batch. The heli had hardly been crashed. I can't think of anything unless the BEC voltage is too high.

I found another issue today. The blades did not track well once the throttle goes above 80%. Since the pitch links are fixed, there is nothing I can do about it. The feathering shaft was no bent. I swapped in a 180CFX head but the same problem occurred. I wonder if the problem resides with the blade themselves?

Last edited by zadaw; 06-14-2019 at 06:51 AM..
Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I would try some stiffer blades and see if that helps...
rcflyair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

I managed to fly 21 flights today and the good news is that no servos were lost. However, because I have used a rather heavy tail servo, the heli is quite tail heavy. This has probably affected its flight performance quite a lot. Right now, my Oxy2 outclasses it completely. I am going to stop flying it until I put in a much lighter tail servo and then compare again.
xoexoe likes this.

Last edited by zadaw; 06-15-2019 at 05:04 AM..
Old 06-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

https://youtu.be/2lLDnu5QQ7E

https://youtu.be/wbs_dUTH7sY
Thanks Chris for taking the time to properly review this heli. Your beautiful videos of your unmodified heli show us what you’re basing your comments and opinions on.

I am interested in how your heli continues to perform after your documented crashes and repairs.

Thumbs up!

However, I noticed it's not an Oxy2 - Can you please explain ?

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 06-15-2019 at 01:09 PM..
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 04:19 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade Fusion 180 - 3S Setup (2 min 36 sec)

Here is a video of me flying my 3S Fusion 180 on 80% throttle. A micro Brain controller was used with a rather heavy GDW 295MG tail servo. Unfortunately, that made the heli quite tail heavy and difficult to fly. It was quite unpredictable and difficult to fly with much precision. Still, it is great for free style rough and tumble 3D.

I have ordered a Blue Arrow H0988UHS tail servo that is 10g lighter. Hopefully that will make a big difference to how it flies. However, it seems that my battery packs may be on the light side as well. I wonder if somebody can tell what is the weight of the standard 4S battery pack? Also, is the CG correct when you put that pack on your heli?

After 48 flights, the durability has been outstanding. I have only damaged a canopy post and 2 landing gear mounts so far. If I could get it to fly better, I may buy another one. It seems the running cost could be substantially lower than the 180CFX.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Took the Fusion 180 out for some Father's Day fun today! It flew great except for a little tail wagging during tail-down funnels. I may have to lower the gains a bit or switch back to the original servo horn hole on the tail servo. Either way, it was a blast to fly!

Flying the Blade Fusion 180 Helicopter (4 min 3 sec)
xoexoe likes this.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Took the Fusion 180 out for some Father's Day fun today! It flew great except for a little tail wagging during tail-down funnels. I may have to lower the gains a bit or switch back to the original servo horn hole on the tail servo. Either way, it was a blast to fly!

https://youtu.be/-Dui16PiHaM
Let me know , Im been chasing that wag for some time, Im running higher 85% throttle though. about to go order ikon 2, been playing with lowering i gain and also raising d, went back two 3rd hole servo arm and 75% gain. may try the carbon rod for the tail shaft. Also I still get that random headshake. Maybe ill try lower headspeed and increasing the pitch
Ramtech73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tuned it out this morning in the Gyro Menu. 52.5% was the sweet spot for 70% flat throttle curve (again this is using the 3rd hole in a full-length tail servo horn). It flew perfect and after doing a lot of funnels I saw zero wag. In my video above I had the gyro gain at 75%.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking at this heli. I have a dx6i gen 1 kinda worried if I have to adjust the pid gains.
mikedoo3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
belt-driven tail, blade fusion 180, blh5850

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in