Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
Many airplane pilots prefer the ratchet feel for throttle as it helps them set a consistent throttle position for an approach.
All the throttle gimbal mechanisms I've seen have two surfaces side-by-side on the half-moon; one smooth surface (used for helis) and one serrated surface (used with airplanes). Each surface has its own metal strap; the smooth strap is for the smooth surface and metal strap with the indentation in the center is used for the serrated surface. The "Teflon modification" is intended for the smooth surface to make it even smoother. The serrated surface with the indented strap is a different subject that has not been discussed in this thread.

This picture shows the smooth metal strap on the left with a "Teflon Mod". Notice how the indented strap on the right (for the ratchet feel) was left intact. I would imagine this indented strap was left loose also.

This picture shows that I stuck Teflon tape to the smooth surface (left) of the half-moon mechanism but left the serrated surface (right) of the half-moon intact.

Applying the "Teflon Mod" to the smooth surface should not affect the ratchet feel of the serrated surface for the airplane guys.
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #122 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hey, I recognize that first pic.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
All the throttle gimbal mechanisms I've seen have two surfaces side-by-side on the half-moon; one smooth surface (used for helis) and one serrated surface (used with airplanes).
I know that some radios are as you describe (my brother's Dx8 for example) but others are not. My two (a JR XP9303 and a Spektrum Dx18G1) only have one gimbal cam and one strap. Spectrum provides two different straps that you can install, one smooth and one with the "V" but both ride on the same toothed cam and only one can be installed at once. The JR only has a V strap and the toothed cam so I flipped the strap over. For both I put teflon on both surfaces as I like the collective resistance fairly high but when doing that I could still feel the teeth with only one layer of teflon, even with the smooth strap.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I can breathe again

Much to mychagrin, my new DX9 was cursed with the ever-dreaded sticky throttle straightout of the box. I was just absolutelydevastated. I said to myself, “self, howin the world can someone charge almost 500 bones for a tx that has shite for athrottle?” Shite, my fellow freaks. Shite for a throttle. The stock throttle is straight up doo-doo…my7 year old DX6i has a better throttle.

First of all,I would like to thank baby Jesus for coming up with this bit of Teflontrickery. Well, maybe baby Jesus didn’thave anything to do with it, but I thank him anyway. I digress. I went with the Teflon sheet technique, but took it one step further.

I like mythrottle a tad stiffer, so I rolled the dice and put down a strip of servo tape(Racers Edge 1502 Wide Servo Tape, 1 1/2") onthe friction bracket to hold the Teflon in place instead of using heatshrink. The servo tape works like a frostedLucky Charm; magically delicious. All Ican say is I feel like I won the lottery. I almost cried when I first experienced the silky smoothness of theTeflon goodness.

I would like to give ahuge thank you to the mastermind who initially came up with this stroke ofgenius. You saved me a ton of money onhigh blood pressure meds. Happy days arehere again.

Smooooooth!

ElNovato is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh my, do we have anew GREYEAGLE here??
Old 09-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm doing this Mod will report back, thank you for the suggestion!
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did this mod with plumbers tape on my new DX8 Gen 2 and wow its great now. So smooth it was always really sticky everytime I moved it but no more.
qcman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did that to my DX6 G2 and whoa it feels now awesome. I also used plumber's tape. But I had to leave the screw up too much because the tape took a bit more space.

So on my DX9 (which I bought used) I noticed the previous user did the same mod with also plumber's tape but it had worn out. So I re-did but used only one strip cut lengthwise instead to avoid adding too much width. Works really great but I don't know how much it will last.

For now both feel awesome

I was waiting to buy better Teflon tape but found the plumber's tape on my toolbox so went ahead with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I did this mod with plumbers tape on my new DX8 Gen 2 and wow its great now. So smooth it was always really sticky everytime I moved it but no more.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
...I also used plumber's tape...Works really great but I don't know how much it will last.
Glad it is working well for you. If the white plumber's tape deteriorates on you, PTFE mouse tape is a longer lasting semi-permanent fix.
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the Teflon tape mod on mine but for those not wanting to open theirs up some dry Teflon spray works wonders too. It's just not near as permanent.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default sticky gimbal on DX9

I like this idea better than fumbling around with tape. Where exactly do you spray?

Thanks bunches
plagus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you very much for this amazing tip. This is my first post here and after nearly wanting to get rid of my DX8 G2 I found this thread - works amazing. Ended up using the teflon sheet (3 layers) with heat shrink. I honestly have no idea why spectrum doesn't have a similar design on the tx? They must be aware of all the complaints.
lentaa72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cut a sheet of thin teflon (bought from ebay) the same size as the metal. Used a short piece of shrink tube at each end of the teflon to make it stick to the metal.

It's shown on this website (its in Norwegian but the pictures tell the story)
https://aamfk.no/2018/07/23/somlos-p...-throttle-mod/

I'm very happy with the result. Stick feels great.
ronaldst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
Ever since I read this thread the first time almost three years ago, I made the mod in my DX18G1 using three different types of thin teflon sheets. All gave excellent results in terms of providing smoothness to throttle stick, in comparison to what we get using only bare metal and grease.

I did this mod to several friends, owners of DX18s and DX9s with same good results.

Even though I was very happy with this mod, I've decided to try something a little different...

A friend of mine manufactures special parts using 100% Polytetrafluoroethylene, also known as PTFE or by its commercial name of Teflon.

On a little piece of a PTFE sheet he gave me, I made a strip in replacement identically to the original metal friction strip on the throttle stick and I installed it in my DX18G1.

The result is simply WOW!!! It made a huge difference in terms of smoothness! It is even better than what I thought was perfect when I used thin Teflon layers. It is hard to describe in words, but the throttle is now like it had ball bearing gimbals. Simply awesome, and possibly a definitive solution.

Carlos

Edit: The thickness of material I used is 2mm
I just did exactly this on my DX6 with 2mm Teflon sheet and the result is outstanding. The sticky pitch stick was very noticeable flying a nano CPS. Now it's buttery smooth, I'd definitely recommend it.
icrashbikes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm adding this in case anyone digs up this thread. Mechanically stretched PTFE aka teflon shrink tubing works even better than the mouse tape. This will put a 0.1mm PTFE covering on the strap that will probably last for the life of the radio.

It should also work with radios where the gimbal only has a toothed cam on the back as well and it works with ratcheted throttles too. It makes the ratchet not offensive enough that I actually considered adding touch of throttle ratchet for some tactile feedback but in the end I went with a smooth throttle.

You can get PTFE shrink tubing cheap from chinese ebay sellers Make sure you get PTFE and not FEP. FEP has a bit higher friction coefficient than PTFE though it is easier to shrink. Measure the strap width and then take the circumference of the tubing and divide by half to get the lay flat width and pick the next highest size to the strap width.

PTFE shrink tubing must be heated to it's gel state to recover it's original diameter which requires 329ºC/624ºF. This is above the decomposition temperature of PTFE so it should be done in a well ventilated area as it will release a small amount of hydrogen fluoride. I used a heat gun on high while holding the strap in needle nose pliers and flipping it to heat it evenly and it took a couple minutes of nuking it an inch away to get it to the proper temp. It will turn completely clear (almost invisible on the strap) when it reaches the correct temperature and has a characteristic smell. With the heat gun this only happened where it was directly pointed at the strap and so I made sure that the whole thing had been covered by the clear spot. This probably also makes it harder to over heat the teflon. You could also use an oven on 63-650 degrees but I'm not sure if the temperature control of a kitchen over is tight enough. The information I looked up online said you are supposed to allow it to cool by itself rather than quenching it.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 03-23-2019 at 09:39 PM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I'm adding this in case anyone digs up this thread. Mechanically stretched PTFE aka teflon shrink tubing works even better than the mouse tape. This will put a 0.1mm PTFE covering on the strap that will probably last for the life of the radio.

It should also work with radios where the gimbal only has a toothed cam on the back as well and it works with ratcheted throttles too. It makes the ratchet not offensive enough that I actually considered adding touch of throttle ratchet for some tactile feedback but in the end I went with a smooth throttle.

You can get PTFE shrink tubing cheap from chinese ebay sellers Make sure you get PTFE and not FEP. FEP has a bit higher friction coefficient than PTFE though it is easier to shrink. Measure the strap width and then take the circumference of the tubing and divide by half to get the lay flat width and pick the next highest size to the strap width.

PTFE shrink tubing must be heated to it's gel state to recover it's original diameter which requires 329ºC/624ºF. This is above the decomposition temperature of PTFE so it should be done in a well ventilated area as it will release a small amount of hydrogen fluoride. I used a heat gun on high while holding the strap in needle nose pliers and flipping it to heat it evenly and it took a couple minutes of nuking it an inch away to get it to the proper temp. It will turn completely clear (almost invisible on the strap) when it reaches the correct temperature and has a characteristic smell. With the heat gun this only happened where it was directly pointed at the strap and so I made sure that the whole thing had been covered by the clear spot. This probably also makes it harder to over heat the teflon. You could also use an oven on 63-650 degrees but I'm not sure if the temperature control of a kitchen over is tight enough. The information I looked up online said you are supposed to allow it to cool by itself rather than quenching it.
Nice find Atomic Skull!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Measure the strap width and then take the circumference of the tubing and divide by half to get the lay flat width and pick the next highest size to the strap width.

Atomic, what is the width of tube used in your project?

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PTFE Mouse Tape

I just did this mod with a roll of adhesive PTFE tape, sold for PC gamers to stick on the bottom of their computer mouse. ~$6 on amazon for more than I will ever need.

It was a little fiddly to get cut to size, and stuck smoothly around the curve, but once its there it's a night and day difference.

No sticking while I try to feather the throttle and find that upside down hover point (learning inverted is hard enough without your throttle stick working against you).

Thanks OP for the idea, and other users for recommending the adhesive tape.
tsoebirk likes this.
phlakvest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlakvest View Post
I just did this mod with a roll of adhesive PTFE tape, sold for PC gamers to stick on the bottom of their computer mouse. ~$6 on amazon for more than I will ever need.

Would you mind sharing the link to the product page where you purchased the adhesive PTFE tape?

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
Would you mind sharing the link to the product page where you purchased the adhesive PTFE tape?

Carlos

Here you go. There are about 20-30 other similar products that would probably work just as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
phlakvest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in