Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8

MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8 MD Helis MD5 - MD6 - MD7 - MD8 Factory Support

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Keyrigger
  • 1 Post By Keyrigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Build Advice - MD7

Just picked up a MD7 used. Looking for "learning experiences" anyone has with this airframe. I would rather learn a lesson from experienced others rather than making every mistake before I read about it
Gaui X5 HW 100A V3,Gaui 4020-910,KST, iKon
lucidchaos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I am fairly up to date with the MD-7/8. What info are are you looking for? I am using mine for F3C competition.

Don

PS: I don't have constant access to the forum as I am on vacation so replies might take a few hours or overnight.
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, Don.

First is the question of converting the airframe from a MD7 to a MD8. The used heli was bought as a MD7 with a 4525. I was thinking of putting a 4530 on it and converting to a MD8. I already have a Gaui X7 for 700 class. Would you recommend going MD8, or keeping it as a MD7?

Secondly, every build has its quirks. Some helis need grease on the main and bevel gears, or else they will wear quickly. Some need red loctite in certain areas not mentioned in the manual. Little things like that.

Looking to raise performance and minimize mechanical failures based on experience here.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Well, you could change the motor if you want to. I have had a 295kv motor in mine when I had it setup for low head speed flight. There is some difference in power of the two motors but not significant. You didn't mention the kv of either motors so if one was a 500kv and the other is a 520kv, there would be some rpm gain to be had.

If you already have a 700, and the Gaui is no slouch, going the route of an 800 would make sense. If you have a look at the gear that drives the tail shaft, count how many teeth it has. I am not sure if the 10t comes standard now but an email request on the main website to Matt might answer that. If yours has a 9t, upping it to the 10t will increase the tail rotor rpm but you will need to change the way the gear mesh is handles. Matt can help you with that as mine was changed already.

I still need to take the entire gear pack apart and update it to V2 parts, which you will find on the website. I have only partially completed the change over. The most important part of the gear train is to minimize the gear lash with the herringbone setup. If you have had any Logo's recently, then you know how to set them up. I used a light lithium based grease on the main and tail gear and a Teflon based grease on the tail transmission gearbox. I have not yet converted the swash to turnbuckles but I would recommend it for the most accurate levelling. I do wish the pitch DFC links were turnbuckle type but that is for another time, I guess.

I have also changed the tail to a triple blade with the 700 size kit from the MD website. With the speed up gear, it makes the tail very powerful and not very high gain settings are needed to stabilize it. The tri-blade tail is one way to ensure good control of the tail if you decide to use it at lower rpm or on a single 6s pack. I would order a full boom, control rod, boom supports, tail control guides, and torque tube ends. It would give you a very fast conversion from one to the other. One last thing I did was to get the upgraded tail control pitch system but I have only done a partial conversion. Hope this helps.

Don
lucidchaos likes this.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Excellent. I didn't know Matt was still involved - Epic's web site has been down for a while AFAIK. Am I missing the site? Or is he running MD Helicopters USA?

My KV is 540 on the 4530 and 520 on the 4525.

I also have quite a few spares I got with the heli. I thought the gear mesh was too tight - there is a well defined point where the main is hard to turn against the pinion. Normally I adjust backlash to where there is near zero at the tightest part of the main gear. Is this too much and should it fit snug? I have lithium grease and teflon I'll use now that you mention it.

I'll probably start it as a 700 just because I already have enough blades for a while. All it seems to need is boom supports.

Any idea where to get a wrap around canopy? I like the Epic canopy but the one I have is badly damaged and already has multiple repairs.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I have not seen one single place, aside from MD, where canopies might be available. The usual suspect, Fusano, never had a listing for them. It might be possible to alter another brand to fit but it will need to be a fairly good size as you see, the MD is no little helicopter. Either one of those motors will work well as a 700 power plant but if you do change it to the 800, the 540 will have a bit more punch. If you stick with the factory 13t pinion, you will be around 2150rpm, which for a 700 is not slouch in performance. The 14t would be a bit too much but one thing is for sure, the head will take the rpm, it's bulletproof. Hope this helps.

Don
lucidchaos likes this.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

here's my pro review of the MD7:

MD Helicopters USA - Product Reviews
darkfa8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in