Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade Fusion 270

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just came back from flying field. Nice California weather 3 packs smooth flying.
Thx for the info...i will try advance setting. Hoply I can get rid of tail wag...
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingledorffw View Post
Cant remember where I read it but somebody explained what the tail PID settings did. It helped me today figure out the tail wag. Just lowering the gyro gain in the transmitter didn't fully get rid of it for me. Today I increased the I tail gain in the advanced menu and it did the trick, granted I raised it to much at first and I got the wicked fast tail wag when I started flying around. I lowered the I gain a tad and fine tuned it with the gyro gain and bam, 3 solid flights with no wag, just a occasionally wag when the wind picked up.

Mine tries to kick around in normal spool up right when I raise the throttle stick, don't think theres much of a soft start like you can program with the castle ESC's. This one's a little jerky on immediate start.

But hey, my wife actually came out and watched me fly a bit today to see if I still had it, I didn't try and show off or nothing and crash........... I like talking to her about my tail wag trouble shooting and what not and seeing that glazed over look in her eyes... now that's what 13 years of marriage is all about.
I did exactly what you have suggested and many others and I was finally able to get rid of the Tail Wag fully now. I had already tried adjusting the gyro values in the FBL unit but I could never get it to go away. So I walked away from it for about a day or so went back at it yesterday and I was finally able to find that spot to where the wag wasn't that bad at all but still there. So at this point I started feeling better about it and did not send it back to Horizon. I have never sent anything in for service other than my radio that's there right now and I wanted to keep it that way.. lol

So last night I knew I had these parts brand new in the package that were extra parts for my 360's. So I figured I'll put them on just for the hell of it, went and flew 2 battery packs just now and the tail is solid! Maybe it was a bad bearing in the pitch slider. Or these parts took up what movement was there that is non-existent now.

It's definitely getting there I'm starting to feel happy with a 270 now. Just need to work a little bit more on the head shakes because they're still there when it's windy out.

And you're right about the tail kick on spool up, it definitely does not have a soft start.

And don't feel bad I do the same thing to my wife and I get the exact same look..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180410_185157.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	742703  
-=RAGE=- likes this.

Last edited by Chris g.; 04-10-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Chris g. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default ...

That's awesome news. It was bothering me as well and I'm glad it worked out. I've been keeping it at IU1 and having a blast so I can't report on IU2 headshakes. I'm really digging those tail blades, I may just have to order some. EDIT: I ordered a yellow set and a green set from micro heli. the green looks like it will match well too.
Chris g. likes this.

Last edited by mingledorffw; 04-10-2018 at 08:15 PM..
mingledorffw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well got a little anxious and tried to do a maiden hover at home and had a booboo. Figured HH say they are set up and test flown. Spooled up slowly, heli is still level, increase throttle/collective and just as it gets light on the skids the heli tilts forward pretty quickly and try to compensate but by then the blades it the ground and i spool down while keeping the heli level till the blades stop.
Popped a link and cracked one blade. Take it to the bench and the swash wasn't level, the elevator servo arm was not 90 degrees which probably caused the heli to tilt forward. Lesson learned, i normally go through everything if i didn't do the build myself, but i was anxious and its been awhile since i bought a new heli.
Got the swash all leveled but now need to order new blades before i can fly again. Sadly no local hobby shop. Who ever set this heli up and test flew it did not do such a good job and leveling the swash, I failed to double check it myself so my bad.

Aloha,
Les
Well I got my replacement parts and installed them, main set of blades, servo(gear set will be replaced in the stripped servo later), centered elevator servo to 90 degrees and made sure the swash was, tested servo movements and tail movements. Everything looks as it should.

Second attempt, short level grass field slowly spool up the heli starts to move in various directions and I help to keep it level with small inputs. It starts to get light on the skids and the it needs more input from me to keep it from striking the ground again. I pop it up into the air to avoid another mishap and get it in a hover. Seems ok at this point so I hit IU1, tail gain in N and IU1 needs work so I land and make some adjustments to the gains for both flight modes. Spool up again and as it gets light on the skids again and right before I pop it up it is in the grass again.

This time as far as I can tell the main blades are ok, broke a link, bent another, stripped another gear, and chipped a small section of the blade grip near the ball. This is crazy I have never had a FBL heli do this on take offs before. For the life of me I do not understand why take offs are so unstable, could it be me or the FBL controller? Time will tell I guess when I replace the FBL unit.

This AR636A is coming out and I am replacing it with a Beast X. I was not so interested in the SAFE mode for this heli as I wanted it more for its size and thought it would be better to fly at the local park. But with 2 identical mishaps I am done with the AR636A and going with something I know works and has done well for me.

On another note I hate that the FBL unit and FBL plate need to be removed to replace the cyclic servos. The problem is the wires are routed between the FBL plate and tail boom mounts and the servo connectors are just a bit too large to fit through. I hope to find another clean way to route the wires so I don't have to keep removing the FBL unit every time I need to replace the servos or replace the gears.

Les

Last edited by MolokaiBoy; 04-14-2018 at 04:10 PM..
MolokaiBoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolokaiBoy View Post
Well I got my replacement parts and installed them, main set of blades, servo(gear set will be replaced in the stripped servo later), centered elevator servo to 90 degrees and made sure the swash was, tested servo movements and tail movements. Everything looks as it should.

Second attempt, short level grass field slowly spool up the heli starts to move in various directions and I help to keep it level with small inputs. It starts to get light on the skids and the it needs more input from me to keep it from striking the ground again. I pop it up into the air to avoid another mishap and get it in a hover. Seems ok at this point so I hit IU1, tail gain in N and IU1 needs work so I land and make some adjustments to the gains for both flight modes. Spool up again and as it gets light on the skids again and right before I pop it up it is in the grass again.

This time as far as I can tell the main blades are ok, broke a link, bent another, stripped another gear, and chipped a small section of the blade grip near the ball. This is crazy I have never had a FBL heli do this on take offs before. For the life of me I do not understand why take offs are so unstable, could it be me or the FBL controller? Time will tell I guess when I replace the FBL unit.

This AR636A is coming out and I am replacing it with a Beast X. I was not so interested in the SAFE mode for this heli as I wanted it more for its size and thought it would be better to fly at the local park. But with 2 identical mishaps I am done with the AR636A and going with something I know works and has done well for me.

Les

Man Les, that's horrible news. Mine was wanting to tip over a bit, actually did have a few very light tip overs, one of them was a landing. I was lucky and had no serious damage, at least none I know off. Recently, I've had quite a few take off and landings with no issues. It was suggested to me to do a trim flight, which I did. I believe the trim flight alone solved most of my tip over tendencies. Taking off and landing on perfectly level ground is a must with this heli. Landing with it, I've come up with a little trick of getting it close to the (level) ground, giving it a little bit of nose forward and hitting throttle hold at the same time right before or when the skids touch. It land's pretty secure, tail blades don't scrape, and no tip overs yet. Again, sorry to hear about your misgivings, it is a very nice flying heli once you get your issues sorted. Report back what happens when you switch FBL units, I know somebody else here already did and reports tipover tendencies went away.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear that Les. I know how u feel. I was also mad as hell when it happens to me. Again sorry to hear it Les...
Old 04-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Taking off and landing on perfectly level ground is a must with this heli.
I fly at park 95% of the time and it has grass. The grass was recently mowed and the area I fly at is usually pretty level even with the grass. I have for the most part taken off and landed on grass. Hope I don't have to start carrying a landing pad with me as that would suck.

Thanks guys I emailed after the first incident and this is the response I got

Quote:
Hello,

Gee, that is tough one, we certainly appreciate your feedback. But, with these models being test flown at the factory. We are not aware of there being any issues out of the box with these from stock. We will make sure this is logged for reference in development research.
If you would like to have the unit evaluated in our service center for possible defects.

Proceed, with our service center information below for an inspection.
Anyway I will report back with an update later. I am not sure if I have all the links I need to repair it tonight and test tomorrow.

Mahalo,

Les
Old 04-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am curious but what is everyone's collective pitch range with the stock AR636A? I forgot what I had when that was installed.

I believe I set mine to +-12 with the BeastX

Thanks,

Les
Old 04-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolokaiBoy View Post
I am curious but what is everyone's collective pitch range with the stock AR636A? I forgot what I had when that was installed.

I believe I set mine to +-12 with the BeastX

Thanks,

Les
If I remember correctly mine was +-11 degrees give or take.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll check mines when i try the 636 again. My new skids are in so i may put it back tofay and give the stock fbl another try.

Les
Old 02-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Please can you advise where i find the tail gain in the I menu in advanced settings?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingledorffw View Post
Just wanted to share a few things about my blade fusion 270 after 22 flights.

Tail has had a slight wag right out of the box, I'm only flying in IU1, just sport and very light 3d. I ended up lowering tail gain in my DX6e to 68 wag has gotten much better and tail is holding well.( EDIT: Raised tail gain a bit in the I menu in advanced settings, really did the trick.)

Taking lipos in and out was killing me. The top of my thumb was rubbed raw from scraping the frame. Heres what I ended up doing. I moved the ESC all the way forward which put the connector closer to the nose. I came up with a method of taking a knee, putting heli skids on the upper bent knee, nose up, tail down, and grabbing the esc connector for support and connecting and disconnecting lipo this way. Its very easy and gives you room to work.

I'm using Glacier 4s 1300 mah lipos. I fly in IU1 for 6 minutes and 40 seconds. Come down a little warm, not to bad, and has 15.01 volts, not even using 80 percent of lipo either. I'm pretty happy with this. Just sport flying, no hard 3d.

I found that if you connect lipo and heli sits for maybe 5 minutes it starts beeping. Like a warning beep every few seconds. Finally figured out the motor gets very hot if it just sits, kinda odd, was wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them?

Just wanted to share a little, wouldn't mind some feed back on the motor getting hot thing. I know on my dji phantom 3 if you plug in the battery and it just sits for a bit, the gimbal motors get hot, maybe its the same deal but just never noticed a heli do that in my experience.

I've had two tip overs on take off, and one on landing, I've scraped my tail blades quite a bit too. I've been lucky and had no real damage. I've found to take off and land on the most level spot you can, and you have to be watching it close, ready to react. I spooled up slow and nice yesterday, and it when it almost got to speed, it tried to tip over, I corrected fast and popped it up on that one. I like the way the skids look but I do think they are a bit narrow.

I do really like the way it flies and look forward to what else blade has coming.
rcpilot23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same problems as most....tipovers. No explanation. Once up, seemed to fly nice. Last tipover stripped two servos and broke the arm on the tail rotor slider.
Now, I'm not going to guarantee anything...but I took Align servos out of an old 250 pro, changed all three, and put a new tailrotor assembly on. The Align servos fit perfectly. Also put the landing gear from an Align 450 on it...looks really good. Not difficult. Just a little ingenuity and a popscicle stick. I have not had a single tipover since and it flies extremely well. Looks much better with the 450 skids and I'm a happy boy now.
shealydawg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all,

I am starting my journey with this heli as well. Same tail wags, same tip overs and instability at spool up.
I use dx7s radio and it has -100/+100 range on channels also on gyro.
Tried suggested gyro setting dont remember which one 75 maybe, that is +75 for me. Too much tail wag, started lowering it bit by bit. If in first adjustment I got some improvement, then +65 to +30 range was all the same. Yes, as low as that. I even suspect that my gyro channel input is not taken into account.
Ok, to admit, I am having only around 50% head speed and 60% rate on all axis. I want to start conservatively and adjust it up to my liking later. Well I am far from liking what I see. Lowered tail gain I value to 90%. Not better or any different at all.
Why I lowered (saw 2 persons here suggesting to rise it)? Because thats what manual says 🙂 - too high gain gives slow oscilations, mine are something like 1oscillation per sec.
Interesting observations - oscilations stop for a second while in forward/backward movement.
At lift off heli sometimes wants to tip forward, so I let it spool up at 25% stick, then quite quicky go to hover(jumping over oscillation zone so to say)at landing I like to hit hold 2-3in over ground, as the ground effect does not make it stabler. It will always tilt to right!! Therefore I am conteracting that for 1/2 second.
Want to do trim flight, but dont want oscillating tail during it.
On my very conservative settings it feels still agile and strong. I have still some options left to try, not many spare parts though 🙂
Actually I broke only tail pitch slider(arm off) so far and once popped FBL link on one blade.
I totally agree to others - if its factory tested, then I wonder what kind of quality gateway they have?
Its either damaged product or it requires significant adjustments. Technically it flies, so does the fridge when you push it of the cliff.
Aziris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a great heli without the AR636 especially at the new ARF price.
jasond1979 likes this.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it OK that tail drive spur gear on main shaft wobbles ?
I mean its not turning perfectly flat, instead has some slight tilt and I can feel minor vibration to heli body with the blades of.
Tail movement up/down is minor, maybe 0.5-0.7mm but still unnecessary vibration.
I don't think that could be a result of light tip overs on grass, so it must have been out-of-factory...
Aziris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

New model setup,
Lengthened the ESC wires and moved it forward to adjust CG.
Swapped out the rear canopy mounts to keep from hitting rcvr.
Did not program in Panic mode.
Setup was per manual.
Tx was DX9.

First flight lifted of quickly and flew around in Normal for 6 min.
Landing was into the wind on carpet using TH.
Second flight was even better as I added 15% expo tp tail and 10% expo on A/E.
Landing was into wind on carpet using TH.

No tip overs but this thing is a squirrl until it's airborne.

So far so good.
jasond1979 likes this.

Trex 700N-FB, 600N-FB,500E-FB, 500X-FBL, (2) 450 SE, Fusion 480, 360, (2) 270's, 230V2, 150S, Nano S2, Mavic Pro, Parrot Bebop II.
gyronut is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I added 15 expo on all axis right on the begining, and even increased it to 25 after few flights and i still keep it that way after 300 flights.
And btw i have no problem with heli behaviour on the ground using ar636. Basically if im on something flat and smooth like concrete i can slide it around on skids doing circles and stuff and it wont do any unintentional move. COG is very important and main blade tension aswell but a bit less. Basically all blades and belt are basically way too tight out of the box.
TomazB is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I loosened mine up also, way too tight. I also installed the LG for a 230S on there as well, much improved stance.
I'll pick up a can of Testors day glow green or yellow paint as well and paint the LG.

8 flights in so far and no tip overs but had I not read all the threads on this thing I am sure I would had one or two.

Regards to all.

Trex 700N-FB, 600N-FB,500E-FB, 500X-FBL, (2) 450 SE, Fusion 480, 360, (2) 270's, 230V2, 150S, Nano S2, Mavic Pro, Parrot Bebop II.
gyronut is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in