Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Goblin 280

Goblin 280 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 280 Helicopters

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also saw a sponsored pilot fly his at a fun fly and he was ripping it. He really enjoyed it and he had cheap electronic components because it was his beater. He really enjoyed it and I saw him do the lowest hurricanes and funnels I have ever seen. Maybe the guy you know has something inherently wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
It's just really off. Super mushy. No crispness whatsoever and very non-linear cyclic response throughout stick travel. Flies like a pregnant fish with wet spaghetti for blades. Many of the guys that I was hanging out with when I flew it said the same thing about it. One said it flies like a shop towel.

It's weird though - aside from the direct drive motor, there's not much about it that's different from other Goblins which fly just fine.
NEAGRON likes this.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't get me wrong, it's a very capable machine. It just flies vastly different from any other helicopter I've ever flown. It takes a lot of getting used to. It's like going from flying large helis for a long time and then flying an overpowered mCPX Brushless. Just a totally different feel.

"Maybe the guy you know has something inherently wrong with it."

I was thinking that, but there were a couple of guys there that had one of their own at one time or another and they all said they flew the same way as this one.

It has gotten to the point where it's just a beater heli for him, and for others that he hands the transmitter to. Just break and fix break and fix. He had probably another airframe worth of parts in the trunk of his car.

When I flew it was at IRCHA this year. He accidentally left his radio at home (he flies it on a JR DSMX radio, all his other helis run VControl) so I used my FrSky with the multiprotocol module to bind to it. 3 minutes in Vstabi setup to confirm the stick directions and travels were right and we flew with it all weekend on my radio.
NEAGRON likes this.
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades

Last edited by Number; 10-25-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's just really off. Super mushy. No crispness whatsoever and very non-linear cyclic response throughout stick travel. Flies like a pregnant fish with wet spaghetti for blades. Many of the guys that I was hanging out with when I flew it said the same thing about it. One said it flies like a shop towel.

It's weird though - aside from the direct drive motor, there's not much about it that's different from other Goblins which fly just fine.
I see. I'm probably not experienced enough to know the difference. I kinda like how it flies. Probably says a lot about my ability .
NEAGRON likes this.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I flew a Fireball a few times that belongs to a friend of mine. Absolute pig. Insanely heavy, needs a ton of headspeed to do just about anything. Cyclic is super weird, it just doesn't fly right at all. He's a Gaui team pilot so he probably knows how to tune a heli, but he could never get it to fly right.
Quote:

I don't understand what exactly is going on here but mine flies fine. yes it is a heavy bird. no it will not fly like an 800 dfc or a 700 or any lighter heli. i think as said in an earlier thread the mains are about 3 mm narower then my 230s and those blades are as wide as the blades in my 450. the mains on my 800 dfc are 70 mm wide thats a lot wier then the blades on my 700. the 800 needs to be at exactly negative pitch when spooling up. i had it at plus a few degrees and it left the ground when i first got it and started rotating due to lack of head speed. so you have to understand this bird is heavy but its also very powerfull. i do back to back loopds with mine but only at high head speed. the way its ment to fly. if you want something slower get a blade helicopter. a cfx 3s
NEAGRON likes this.
Flying Ferret is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I literally said it's a very capable machine in post #22. It can do anything a bigger heli can do, except maybe big floaty autos. It just has a very different feel than most helis have, including ones of the same size (Oxy3, etc).

Side note, yeah power can overcome a heavy helicopter, but it won't fly the same as a lighter helicopter of the same size. Disc loading is important... power isn't the only factor.
NEAGRON likes this.
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2019, 01:05 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. I literally said it's a very capable machine in post #22. It can do anything a bigger heli can do, except maybe big floaty autos. It just has a very different feel than most helis have, including ones of the same size (Oxy3, etc).

Side note, yeah power can overcome a heavy helicopter, but it won't fly the same as a lighter helicopter of the same size. Disc loading is important... power isn't the only factor.
I can definitely agree with that. my 800 is extreem floaty when i firs got it i accidentally had slight positive pitch while spooling up Id have to say I think it left the ground at 500rpm it started to perry wet and i just tokk control and re landed till it got up to head speed. i flew 2 flights today with my 280 now my favorite mini heli i ever had. doing fast loops fly bys flips in strong wind and high powered pitch pumps. i love this helicopters sound. im just wondering if i want to get the yelow mini comet thats the one i originally wanted i love the paint scheme. i have some one holding on to one for me i said i would not be able to make a decision untill i get to fly this around . if it turns out to be junk why get 2. I am also considering waiting on a good deal on a 380 but i have full size cyclics i need to throw into something. pluss a 260 edge esc. i think the full parts on a 380 come out to over 1000 I can get another 700 for that . i love big helis
NEAGRON likes this.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

as has been stated I wounder if some one did A wide cord 280 blade for the fireball and comet if that would take it to A different level

Align 470 stock motor and Tribunus 80 amp esc plus Brain 2 FBL
NEAGRON is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2019, 03:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are there a wide cord blades available ? Yes I do find that it flies differently as compared to my other Gobs including the 380.
NEAGRON likes this.
jchen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
Are there a wide cord blades available ? Yes I do find that it flies differently as compared to my other Gobs including the 380.
I cant find any and the only thing i ca think of is to cut down a set of 320 blaes from my walkera v450 d03 but then for the head speed they would need balancing, plus the mounting holes are different. I had plenty of fun with mine and think leave it alone. or just simply build a 380 doesnt seem to be much bigger. but i like doing fast fly bys with mine and fast loos lso its good for inverted training has plenty of power and long flights at lower head speed. just probably do a google search on 280 blades and see what comes up
NEAGRON likes this.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ferret View Post
I cant find any and the only thing i ca think of is to cut down a set of 320 blaes from my walkera v450 d03 but then for the head speed they would need balancing, plus the mounting holes are different. I had plenty of fun with mine and think leave it alone. or just simply build a 380 doesnt seem to be much bigger. but i like doing fast fly bys with mine and fast loos lso its good for inverted training has plenty of power and long flights at lower head speed. just probably do a google search on 280 blades and see what comes up
I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. FOR WHAT HAPENS TO YOUR HELI.

I just ran mine at 50% esc output with walkera v450 do3 blades. i have the comp motor. it left the ground almost immediately. i wish I had a castle edge esc with data loging but i dont an im not sur if this esc will do it with the cable i have from my castle.the motor felt very warm. i spooled it up a bit higher for a short bit but i dont want to burn out the motor or esc. I think i will shorten the blades and re balance them. i can take out the main shaft and temoarilly bolt it to a 2x4 or long piece of wood clamp it in the vise and use that to balance the blades. but it did take off rather quick . the lowest esc output ths heli operates at on my vbar is 45% 50 seems best or 60
NEAGRON likes this.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON View Post
as has been stated I wounder if some one did A wide cord 280 blade for the fireball and comet if that would take it to A different level
Search for Rapid blades!
NEAGRON likes this.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidla View Post
Search for Rapid blades!
Have ordered A set of them see how they go and thank you,

Old 10-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON View Post
Have ordered A set of them see how they go and thank you,
I just threw a set of 320mm blades on mine. I havent flown it at a high head speed yet and i dont want to burn out the motor or esc just flew at i think 50% esc output. where did you order those blades from.? i checked the web site it said they wee in Australia???
NEAGRON likes this.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here we go https://www.hely-shop.co.uk/cfc-main...-ms-r20280fbl/ but not sure as they are very light,ive also sent an email to Sab requesting wide cord blades for the Mini Comet and Fireball.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in