Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated capital city on earth!)
Default How to extend Momentary Toggle switch [SOLVED]

Hi,

I have the Rescue function of my Brain2 set to the Aux channel and on my (new) X9D+ 2019, it's on a momentary switch. When I test Rescue "on the bench" (and without Battery power to the servos) the Brain responds correctly. Similarly when the servos are powered up but not flying the Rescue responds correctly (I even have a Wav file triggered by Rescue). When testing, I usually pinch the switch and toggle.

However, when I actually test rescue in flight, it doesn't seem to work properly - the Wav file sounds (and the Brain Logs show the function was activated), but the heli doesn't seem to respond properly. I think it may be the location of my fingers not toggling the switch properly. I wrap my middle finger around the top of the TX and use it to arm the switch.
[NOTE: the Rescue signal needs to be active for a minimum time - but of the top of my head I can't remember what it is]

On my DX7s, the switch is NOT momentary and I need to explicitly switch Rescue Off (using the same middle finger). Rescue Works fine for the DX7s - so long as I remember to switch it off again, or else that has issues of its own.

I was thinking that I might need to extend the effect of the momentary switch to create a more consistent signal than I seem to be able to achieve with my middle finger "in anger". Is there a way to do this in OpenTX? I'm sure there is, but I'm not conversant enough with OpenTX to figure it out.

TIA,
Paolo

[As the sergeant said: "As you were, you 'orrible lot! Wot did you fink the duration column was for?"
So I've set the duration for 0.8 seconds since the minimum duration in the TX is 0.6 secs. Testing tomorrow.]
(building) XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)

Last edited by PaoloFCantoni; 11-06-2019 at 07:05 AM..
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have mine on the momentary switch.
Works fine. No extended output necessary.

If there is a delay required by the Brain, it would suck because that split second before reacting could be the demise if the heli.

So, the question is, what does "doesn't seem to work correctly" mean while in the air? There are parameters which can be set. How much pitch, how long, etc. It would be possible, with tweaking the settings, to make it roll out and not climb. It's also possible to make it roll out and climb out of sight.

What are you expecting to see in flight and what is it that you are seeing?

Also, the "duration" setting in the flight controller is how long the rescue holds the set pitch before slowly relinquishing control back to you.
Ivan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated capital city on earth!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
I have mine on the momentary switch.
Works fine. No extended output was necessary.

If there is a delay required by the Brain, it would suck because that split second before reacting could be the demise if the heli.

So, the question is, what does "doesn't seem to work correctly" meanwhile in the air? There are parameters which can be set. How much pitch, how long, etc. It would be possible, with tweaking the settings, to make it roll out and not climb. It's also possible to make it roll out and climb out of sight.

What are you expecting to see in flight and what is it that you are seeing?

Also, the "duration" setting in the flight controller is how long the rescue holds the set pitch before slowly relinquishing control back to you.
Hi Ivan,

"Not Work Correctly" means that the last time I tested it, with the heli inverted, the heli started to right itself and stopped on the "knife-edge", that is with the blades vertical and the heli horizontal! It didn't complete the motion.

As I understand it, Rescue in the Brain, it is designed to give you complete control over the process, so if you initiate the process and stop a fraction of a second afterwards the Brain stops the Rescue process immediately and leaves the heli on whatever orientation it got into.

With my OLD DX7s, even rapidly toggling the non-momentary switch I couldn't stop the Rescue before it competed.

I believe my brand new X9D+ 2019 momentary toggle may "bounce" when toggled so the brain thinks I want the process to stop 0.4 of a second (say) into the Rescue. That's not the Brain's fault, I'm not generating the signal I expect to (because of the switch behaviour). I had an older X9D+ (4 years old which I blew up accidentally - hence the replacement 2019 model) and its momentary switch seemed to work OK, perhaps due to circumstances.

Anyway, by extending the length of time to be more than that in the Brain setup, I should be OK. I won't have to worry about leaving Rescue "on" but the REscue signal will turn off after at most 1 second.

NOTE: I'm not using (in the Logical Switch settings) or generating any delay (by my figures) all I'm doing is extending the signal duration. So your point about heli demise will be caused ONLY by the delay induced in my wetware brain (not the FBL)...

I'll be home in a couple of hours so I'll be able to test and report.

Paolo
[EDIT: A bit of bench testing and it turns out I had the switches interacting incorrectly. The Momentary switch was triggering rescue on the release, not the push. Fixed that and flew. Testing revealed that 0.9 seconds wasn't sufficient to guarantee the completion of the Rescue manoeuvre. I extended it to 1.5 sconds and will now check on the MSH forum for a more definitive value. - Anyhow, it's sorted enough for me to fly.
(building) XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)

Last edited by PaoloFCantoni; 11-07-2019 at 06:06 AM..
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in