Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By JuanRodriguez
  • 2 Post By Sweetfrost
  • 1 Post By madnat
  • 2 Post By yakky
  • 1 Post By The Mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 250 DFC Pro Super Combo

I found a 250 at a rc boat dealer in UK (i live in denmark) and i have a question about this little bird.

Is the provided ESC output sufficient for the electronics?

Does any of you have any issues with this? I am prob. gonna use the 3GX which i have flown with on 2 other birds, but was eventually replaced with iKONS. Only bird now with the 3GX is my beloved 450L DFC and it flies surprisingly good.

thanks
Align Trex 450L DFC Head, 3GX
Sweetfrost is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides all the badmouthing you’ll encounter regarding the 3GX , in reality, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that FBL controller.....
Sweetfrost likes this.
JuanRodriguez is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So after struggling for some days now - i'm still not finished with this little bird.

I have for some time wanted a new 250 size heli as my very fine Honey Bee King 2 was crashed beyond repair - or rather... the spareparts for that thing are expensive if you can find them - but it had a way better layout. And i upgraded the tail with a new gear and belt to give it the rpm's to hold the tail. My local dealer has Align and SAB and my Trex 600E Pro (with iKON) is a work of art.. so its really easy for me to get spareparts.

But this Trex 250 DFC is not what i expected. Maybe i should have done some proper research before klicking the "you buy dis yes"-button. But OMFG its a bad designed helicopter. It only fits the 3GX inside the frame and i was planning to use the 3GX but its placed in such a bad place that its a pain to program it and its also upside down so u have to flip the heli over to see the leds and to be able to push the set-button - and even then its hard to see anything.. I almost threw it out the window ... i was so frustrated and angry. But then i ripped the 3Gx out of the frame and put an iKON on the side of the frame. Hell yeah .. i was so satisfied with my self coming up with such a genius and incredible secret plan. Ooh yes - i'm soo gonna setup this heli.

Much better - but things aren't perfect still. I am now struggling to set up the head ... i find i hard to get the swash level - and i broke one of the links because i had to take it of so many times. I've done iKON setups many times without any hassle - but this really takes the price.

So i ordered new links and by the time they arrive i hope to have calmed down. Giving it one last try and if the heli dosen't cooperate i set it on fire.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

PS. I might post pictures of the of this sucker if all goes according to the new plan.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

UPDATE

I found a set of turnbuckles for the 250 and it stated that it fitted the DFC version also. But no, they did not fit - one rod was too long so i went back to the stock ones with new links on - i have turned them so many times to get the swash level that they got a little soft and bendy.

Messed with the heli sunday and i managed to complete the setup - its a little weird because i did not find it to be such a hassle like the first time i tried to do the setup - some days everything goes by the book and others just suck. Only thing to do now is tidying up the wires and balance the blades. The ESC is pre-programmed and the default settings are fine.

I might shorten some of the wires to make it look nice. Pictures coming soon and maybe a video too.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ...now with pictures.

Did the final wiring stuff today. Cut approx. 4 cm. of each servo-cords and crimped new connectors on.

I had a difficult time to get wiring to look good on this little bird so this have to do.

What the pictures don't show is a welcro-strap around the iKON but otherwise showing the final result.

Next up is the blade-balancing and a testflight. Indoor spool-up is only to see if the gyro is behaving a expected before taking it outside - and a video is planned. Eager to see if the tail holds. And so far its not in danger of being set on fire ... yet.

have a nice day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trex250DFC_01.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	822635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trex250DFC_02.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	822637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trex250DFC_03.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	822639  
navigator2011 and madnat like this.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may pull mine off the wall and set it up
Sweetfrost likes this.
madnat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

This indeed looks like an awfull airframe
TomazB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

it is indeed an awfull airframe. It is hard to get a Fbl unit to be inside the frame if you use anything bigger than a micro flybarless controller from MSH or so.. but as you can see the ikon sits okay on the side - but id does not look so good.

regards
Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Microbeast, neuron and a slightly modified vbar fit just fine.
Sweetfrost and Deondr like this.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should def. build it but be aware - its quite a challenge. ;o)
Old 02-04-2020, 07:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail wag - with video.

The weather was calm yesterday so i took the bird outside to give it a try.

As you can see it did not go so well. In the beginning it seemed okay but suddenly its starts to wag (or hunt) like crazy.

On the iKON software i rolled the gain up on the DX9 until i reached 47 on the iKON software which ended on 57.5 on my DX9.

Is the gain too high ? I have yet not tested with lower settings.

I find the tail quite sloppy and there is a little area on the tail output shaft where the slider binds just a tiny bit and i can't get rid of it.

I would really like to hear your comment on this before i try again - but not today - bad weather. I have a small platform where i start form with my smaller helis. Right now the grass is too tall for this size. Luckily nothing happened to the main-blades when they scraped the gravel.

Trex 250 PRO DFC tail issues (1 min 14 sec)
Old 02-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Drop the gain and try again. If it feels too loose with the low gain then it probably is a binding issue. Not being able to find a good gain point usually indicates binding or a bad servo on the 250.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
Drop the gain and try again. If it feels too loose with the low gain then it probably is a binding issue. Not being able to find a good gain point usually indicates binding or a bad servo on the 250.
Thank you. That must be the first step. And today i fiddled with the tail and managed somehow to get the tiny amount of binding away - not sure how. Also - i read in here to tighten the blade-grips. There's a slop in the blade-grips and that makes it difficult to get the blades to be exact in line with each other when you fold them. I ran thru the setup on iKON software and it all seems okay.

I post again when testflown.

Thanks a bunch
Old 02-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfrost View Post
Thank you. That must be the first step. And today i fiddled with the tail and managed somehow to get the tiny amount of binding away - not sure how. Also - i read in here to tighten the blade-grips. There's a slop in the blade-grips and that makes it difficult to get the blades to be exact in line with each other when you fold them. I ran thru the setup on iKON software and it all seems okay.

I post again when testflown.

Thanks a bunch
Don't sweat the slop, there is like 2-3 degrees of slop even in a brand new Trex 250. Its the binding that is the problem. If it still doesn't fly right, you'll have to take the blades off and spool it up and move the tail rod by hand (servo disconnected) to see if there is any binding under load.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the kit servos on my 250 Pro build. Maiden flight the tail wag became so violent it went out of control and didn't end well. Replaced the tail servo with an MKS DS95i and threw the Align tail servo in the trash like I should have in the first place. Never had a tail wag problem again. Because of the crash damage I paid double for that MKS tail servo.

As far as the gyro. As you discovered the only problem with the 3GX is the setup is ridiculous. On my 450 Pro that I used to have I would set the helicopter on a big mirror so I could see the gyro and use a pencil eraser that I cut off a pencil to push the button on the 3GX.

Now I use a micro Spirit gyro with WiFi adapter on the 250 so I don't even have to touch the helicopter to run setup with my Netbook. The mSpirit fits inside the 250 on the electronics shelf without any problem. Terminating the JST-ZH 1.5mm connector pins to proper length requires a lot of patience though.

The RCE-BL 15P ESC works fine for me but I've just today decided to upgrade to a HobbyWing ESC so I can have telemetry with a SPM4649T receiver.

While the 250 Pro in general is a very difficult build; it seems to be very lightweight for it's size. Probably lighter than other helicopters its size including the new 300X. But it doesn't withstand a crash very well. Very delicate. I like the 250 just because it's the smallest of the "real" collective pitch helicopters with variable pitch tail. The 130X just isn't in the same performance class as the 250 even though it's smaller and also has a variable pitch tail. With the DS95i servo the 250 handles as well as any other helicopter I have. I've flown it in winds up to 15 gusting to 23.
Sweetfrost likes this.
Spektrum - DX20 / DX9 Black Editon
The Mechanic is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also added the tail blade clips which reduced lateral play.

H25H003XXT ALIGN 250 Blade Clips, for T-REX 250

In addition to changing to a spektrum h3060 for tail servo.
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
I used the kit servos on my 250 Pro build. Maiden flight the tail wag became so violent it went out of control and didn't end well. Replaced the tail servo with an MKS DS95i and threw the Align tail servo in the trash like I should have in the first place. Never had a tail wag problem again. Because of the crash damage I paid double for that MKS tail servo.

As far as the gyro. As you discovered the only problem with the 3GX is the setup is ridiculous. On my 450 Pro that I used to have I would set the helicopter on a big mirror so I could see the gyro and use a pencil eraser that I cut off a pencil to push the button on the 3GX.

Now I use a micro Spirit gyro with WiFi adapter on the 250 so I don't even have to touch the helicopter to run setup with my Netbook. The mSpirit fits inside the 250 on the electronics shelf without any problem. Terminating the JST-ZH 1.5mm connector pins to proper length requires a lot of patience though.

The RCE-BL 15P ESC works fine for me but I've just today decided to upgrade to a HobbyWing ESC so I can have telemetry with a SPM4649T receiver.

While the 250 Pro in general is a very difficult build; it seems to be very lightweight for it's size. Probably lighter than other helicopters its size including the new 300X. But it doesn't withstand a crash very well. Very delicate. I like the 250 just because it's the smallest of the "real" collective pitch helicopters with variable pitch tail. The 130X just isn't in the same performance class as the 250 even though it's smaller and also has a variable pitch tail. With the DS95i servo the 250 handles as well as any other helicopter I have. I've flown it in winds up to 15 gusting to 23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflanagin View Post
I also added the tail blade clips which reduced lateral play.

H25H003XXT ALIGN 250 Blade Clips, for T-REX 250

In addition to changing to a spektrum h3060 for tail servo.

Thanks guys - i'm sure with all the inputs from you the heli will get airborne without bad tendencies. As the MKS DS95i servo is a little too pricey i ordered the Spektrum H3060 one and hopefully it will do the magic trick.

In a few days the servo is changed and i will post another video as soon the weather allows for a testrun.

On my Trex 600E Pro DFC i have a bluetooth module so i can do setup changes from my laptop or my smartphone - easy. On my YouTube channel there is a few videos of me practicing autos with the 600 and also onboard camera on my Gaui Hurricane 550 and some other stuff (a real Draken jet engine test run) - Helizero is the channel name. Cheers!

Regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in