Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ivan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Since there is no FrSky specific forum...Neuron ESCs

Has anyone tried the FrSky Neuron ESCs? What are your thoughts? Seems the native telemetry would be nice and reduce some of the wiring on a heli...and would be a great option for craft without a flight controller to translate the telemetry signal.
MeekaMoMo likes this.
Ivan is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I put a 40A in an airplane. It works great and the telemetry works well also. The only thing about the Neurons is the size. It is a pretty big package so it is not doable in the smaller helis. They have a 7A BEC in them which is nice also. Be aware that the 40, 60 and 80A versions are all the same size and weight so it seems sensless not to buy the 80A version. I totally missed that when first looking at them.They are coming out with the NeuronS in 40 and 60A size that are going to be smaller and lighter but they will only have a 5A BEC.
Two other caveats are that you need a BLheli USB linker to program them and there is quite a discussion on some safety concerns with the s-port circuit over in RCGroups which you would want to look at before using one.
All that being said I like the one I have and am planning on picking up a few more.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

there's a new smaller 40a neuron

https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-neuron-40s.html

i'm using the older original 80a in an edf, it's huge. I had to cut away a lot of foam to fit it.
TX: Fr-Sky X9 Lite S
P.I.Engineer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking about the new 60s for a Protos 480. It is smaller than the hobbywing v4 60a and I get telemetry. Anyone know if the 5a SBEC will be an issue vs the 7A from hobbywing?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krea View Post
I'm thinking about the new 60s for a Protos 480. It is smaller than the hobbywing v4 60a and I get telemetry. Anyone know if the 5a SBEC will be an issue vs the 7A from hobbywing?
Just reading about these esc's myself. they look interesting. Do you need to be a Frsky user to take advantage of the telemetry features?
The non S series have 7A, EDIT, ahh I see, the "s" is a smaller version or a lite version.

SBEC supports [email protected]~8.4V

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/neuron-60/
Old 12-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought about it.

One concern I had is when using the governor of the flight controller. Will the flight controller actually read the Neuron's RPM telemetry data?

This would vary by flight controller vendor but I would be inclined to find out if it works properly before buying a Neuron.
Ferrite is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn’t account for the governor issue. That is a valid point. I don’t think the ESC will have a good heli gov and I don’t know about FBL integration with these ESCs. Sounds like too many unknowns and I’ll have to stay with hobbywing and limited telemetry on mah used.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krea View Post
I didn’t account for the governor issue. That is a valid point. I don’t think the ESC will have a good heli gov and I don’t know about FBL integration with these ESCs. Sounds like too many unknowns and I’ll have to stay with hobbywing and limited telemetry on mah used.
Yes this is what I am thinking as well. Would be interesting to hear from others that have this esc setup and running what their setup is and how well/not well it works.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

RPM via telemetry wouldn't be fast enough for the ESC to govern. If you want it, just get a cheap hobby wing RPM sensor and hook it into the FBL RPM input port.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I already get ESC temp, rpm, pack voltage, and current from my hobbywing 60 thru my ikon and I don't need a separate rpm sensor. Why would I use this in a helicopter with a flight controller that reads that ESC data and sends the telemetry to my transmitter? Maybe it makes sense where there is no flight controller but not on my helicopters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
kuroguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The HW 60 gives current? Is there a new version out that I missed?
Old 12-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
Lol, I was just reading this and thought the same thing.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
did i get that wrong? crap. i thought it did, but regardless, there are other manufacturers (yge down to the 35 amp esc, for one) with 60 amp ESCs that do give all that telemetry and include an rpm out that when paired with ikon provide all that telemetry.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
I already get ESC temp, rpm, pack voltage, and current from my hobbywing 60 thru my ikon and I don't need a separate rpm sensor. Why would I use this in a helicopter with a flight controller that reads that ESC data and sends the telemetry to my transmitter? Maybe it makes sense where there is no flight controller but not on my helicopters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yeah. I was planning on buying one for a fixed wing. Asking something technical in the fixed wing community is like asking a kindergartner to solve systems of differential equations.

So I asked here.
Ivan is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

if i flew electric fixed wing, i'd certainly try one of the neuron ESCs out. i'd probably be sure to go with the 's versions since all of the original ones weigh the same. sometimes (who am i kidding) it takes a revision or two for frsky to get their products in a polished state.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really wish you could modify all of the Neuron ESC settings via LUA script. It seems only BEC’s voltage is adjustable. For all other settings you gotta hook it up to a computer.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Duplicate.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
I really wish you could modify all of the Neuron ESC settings via LUA script. It seems only BEC’s voltage is adjustable. For all other settings you gotta hook it up to a computer.
And.... does anyone really modify the BEC voltage more than initial setup? I never understand why some features get implemented.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in