Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You'll need to change your Arduino to a different interface as well and change the interface selection.
And what would they be please?
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
And what would they be please?
When you start off you need to solder the leads onto the pads shown in the BLHeli document and shown in the second post of this thread. You can then flash the ESC with the bootloader and the relevant BLHeli firmware using the C2 interface (you either need a C2 programmer USB or you can build an Arduino Nano as a C2 programmer).

Once you have flashed the bootloader you have two options - you can either continue as you are and connect via the C2 interface (and Arduino programmed as C2 interface) or you can rebuild the Arduino with the BLHeli Bootloader firmware and plug the ESC servo lead into the Arduino and use the BLHeli Bootloader protocol.

To swap between the 2 modes you basically use the "Make Interfaces" tab to rebuild and reflash the Arduino between the two types.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently picked up one of these. It works well with BLHeli :

$14.99 on Amazon Prime for those of us lazy folks who don't want to assemble something.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I recently picked up one of these. It works well with BLHeli :

$14.99 on Amazon Prime for those of us lazy folks who don't want to assemble something.
That one will work for ESCs that have already been flashed with BLHeli (e.g. Blade 230S-V2/150S/180 Fusion), but it will NOT work for the initial flash of a K110/K123/K124 ESC - these require using the 3-wire C2 interface which requires soldering three wires onto the ESC. Once the ESC is flashed with BLHeli, then the device you linked to will work just fine.
PassinThru likes this.
ridge-runner is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found my old Arduino that I got when playing with ESCs some time ago now.

I have programmed blheli to the ESC and have ordered some sockets to make a servo lead.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:41 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

No kidding! It withstood my multiple attempts to fry the board while soldering the wires to it with a badly tinned soldering iron set to max. Then I inadvertently flashed it for a Turnigy 60A main. It got real hot when I spooled it up for the first time. I had left the wires soldered on and re-flashed to the proper Turnigy Plus 10A main. Spooled up and flew very controlled in my basement.
PassinThru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry I meant to include the quote re the toughness of the stock ESC in the above post.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really found this thread very useful for flashing BLHeli to my K110's ESC. Thanks so much for generously sharing your knowledge. There's so much here for pilots with a range of understanding to benefit from.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:13 PM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Here you go. Sorry for the delay.
For background:All of them upgraded with SUT tail motor.

1) First pic: oldest K110 that I have. Hundreds and hundreds of flight but still on the on stock main motor. Only upgrade that I did is put the metal swash that I got from a different K110 and Hobbyking servos (the old ones got stripped). As you can see, I maxed out the start up power possibly due to an old motor. Also the target governor is on the high side.

2) About 6 months old but also hundreds of flights. Upgraded to metal grip (I stripped the plastic grip hole). The rest all stock.

3) Age unknown. Bought here used. All stock.
I note that the motor selection is mcpx, with specs that I assume are for that micro. I note that the K110 stock motor is 11,000 kV, which is lower than the 13,600 in the BLHeli suite. I haven't been able to find out any more information about the stock motor.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have used the settings from K110 Metal Swash above but the motor mostly does not spool up.

Maybe on very first go after making a settings change but then I have to move the main blades round a bit else the motor will not start.

Any suggestions on what to do please?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #151 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'll need to have a fairly high Start-up power setting, and believe it or not if you loosen the main blades it helps - one of the guys here suggested it and I was amazed the difference it makes
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You'll need to have a fairly high Start-up power setting
Can you see where I said I used a certain set of setting? The start up power is at maximum.

The main blades in the grip are looser than I have ever set even a set of tail blades.

Thanks though.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

a lot of arduino's will work for programming, you don't need the specific programmer

How To Flash ESCs With Arduino Nano (5 min 33 sec)
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

@PIEngineer, do I need a usb programmer with the Arduino nano to flash the esc?. For the soldering part, I just follow all the steps in p.1 right?. Thanks.
Harrisson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can do it all with the nano
Zedric likes this.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #156 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been out of helis for awhile. Getting back in. Bought a xk k110. Anyone know where I can get the flash toolstick? I cant find one. Would like to flash my esc again. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dplank View Post
Been out of helis for awhile. Getting back in. Bought a xk k110. Anyone know where I can get the flash toolstick? I cant find one. Would like to flash my esc again. Thanks.
Arduino Nano or Uno work for flashing and then changing via servo lead. Both available to program under make interfaces tab in blheli.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arthure is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing this guide e92.M3. Have you tried connecting only two wires (ground and signal, without connecting the 5V) for an even cleaner mod? I've seen ESCs that only need ground and signal, so just wondering if that applies to this ESC.

Cheers
TedAud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #159 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedAud View Post
Thanks for sharing this guide e92.M3. Have you tried connecting only two wires (ground and signal, without connecting the 5V) for an even cleaner mod? I've seen ESCs that only need ground and signal, so just wondering if that applies to this ESC.

Cheers
Took me a good part of the day to figure out, but finally sorted.

Once you've flashed BLHeli (revision 13.2 and above), the bootloader will automatically be installed. Once you have the bootloader installed, you can then remove the connectors/wires you've soldered on.

To connect to BLHeli in the future (using BLHeli Suite), you just need to use the existing connector that plugs into the flight controller, utilising only two pins (black = ground, and white = signal).

Within BLHeli Suite, select the SILABS BLHeli 4-way interface (this is using an Arduino board) and away you go. I'm using an Arduino Nano board, so the signal pin from the ESC goes to Digital pin 2, and ground to ground.

The attached manual shows how to use the different programming connectors you may have in your toolbox.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BLHeli programming adapters.pdf (768.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
however you do need to calibrate the ESC to the Tx as normal - i.e. Turn on Tx, use a 0 - 100 (or -100 to +100) TC. Throttle stick full throttle, power up ESC - get confirmation beeps, throttle to bottom, get confirmation beeps, power all off).

You then select a flat throttle "curve" and adjust it up / down to get your desired headspeed
Hi Mikej,

I've tried your instructions but don't get the confirmation beeps other than the usual start up beeps. What I did was turn on the transmitter, using a linear 0-100 throttle curve, move the throttle stick to the highest position, then connect the battery to the ESC (as per usual when flying). I then get the usual startup sequence of beeps, but nothing beyond that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, what's the difference setting the throttle this way to setting the min and max throttle in BLHeli Suite?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in