Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thomas.Heiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgrade XK K110?

I'd like to see suggestions for upgrades to this little heli. For example, the swashplate balls seem to break off too easily. Is the metal upgrade worth it?
Others?
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suggest you to buy metal swashplate and k120 tail blade.
No other upgrades are needed.
aisella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flash the ESC with BLHeli and turn on the governor and beacon.

Threadlock the spindle bolts!

IMO, the K110 needs no hardware "upgrades".
ridge-runner is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisella View Post
I suggest ..to buy ...k120 tail blade.
I noticed that the K110 started with a tail wag in hovering mode with the longer K120 tail blades installed.

Not (much) noticable in normal flight...

This is on BNF #3 with a thicker grey (but not that wobbly) 3M foam pad from a German dealer.

I used the thinner red 3M VHB foam pad on BNF #1 with the K110 tail blade and had more success with it than on BNF #2 where the tail + tail behaves very strange for now.

My impression with the standard K110 tail blade (but different tighter foam pad):
Tail hold was great for normal flight + inverted hover.

The XK default black foam pad on the K110 is very thick but weak / wobbly when you touch it and you can move it by finger up and down, left and right too easily.

-------------------------------

I tried my first slow backwards flights on the K110 with the K120 tail blade.

Worked so far pretty good without the tail losing its hold.

I hope it stays this way when I fly backwards more aggressively with more speed and more roll...but first I need to do a bit of RC sim practice :-)

I will check for noticable differences and maybe I go back to the K110 tail blade as I noticed zero wagging.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Idk about other people, but when I bought a metal swashplate, the cyclic servos couldn't handle it. Anything other than collective pitch barely worked; servos barely moved for directional flight. I put back the plastic swash plate and my bird flies once again.

It's pretty redundant IMO, and can cause more damage and the metal upgrades will slow you down greatly.
XKHeadache is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2020, 05:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you sure that the plastic servo gears are running smoothly (when the heli is turned off)?
You need to be able to freely move the servo arms up and down - by hand - without any noticable much resistence.

One spare servo had a few stops and was going stronger when I tried to move the servo arm.

One installed cyclic servo on a new BNF K110 heli had the problem that the servo gears could be barely moved, much worse than any other servos or the above spare servo problem and there was a recognizable "click".

I had installed 2 metal swashplates (one black, one red) on three K110 helis and it was not a problem as the cyclic servos are fine for roll+nick and collective pitch.

However, one red alu swashplate (from the K120) had the problem that the (top) inner ring was not turning freely.
Obviously the factory had wrongly pressed or glued the inner ring or bearings into the hole and the whole swashplate was kinda corrupt when I ordered it.

So, check if your alu swashplate is OK and you can freely turn the top inner ring by hand.
You might want to try 1-2 other alu swashplates.

Your problem sounds more like a mechanical problem to me.
I noticed that someone on RCGroups.com confirmed about having issues with the red aluminium parts and not the black parts, too.

The alu swashplates with the golden brass ring or whatever you call it inside the hole of the inner ring usually are great as the diameter of the hole inside the brass ring is not so big than on the plastic swashplate.
You can measure that the hole of the plastic inner ring is bigger (too big), so there is more play around the main shaft when the plastic swashplate is installed.
This is much better on the aluminium swashplate because of the additional ring.
Maybe your problem is that the brass ring (inside the inner part) is wrongly pressed into it and you can't freely tilt it inside the installed hole?
Sounds to me that something is locked up....

--------------

Sadly to say XK quality is a hit and miss and there does not seem to be any quality control when they send their parts out to dealers.

How can it be that:

- that one bad servo (with the very bad click and very rough movement) was installed on a BNF K110? Surely nobody tried to turn the servo arm by hand and the heli was not test flown either or nick/roll and collective tests from the TX when the heli was turned ON.

- that 3 BL main motors (from the K110) are bad, even one spare motor right out of the package, that the outrunner bell slips up and is not fixed by the golden secure ring?
Two have a quite bad slop on the main shaft which means that when spinning the pinion gear moves.
I ordered one K110 BL motor from Germany, but now I have the same problem with a new motor and can't use / install it.
One BL motor is not that bad as the two others and only has a bit slop on the outrunner bell.
I can hover it a bit....but you can even hear it by the changing motor sound that the bell is slipping.

Only BNF #3 BL motor is fine and completely fixed on the motor shaft by the golden secure ring and obviously it is pushed up to the bearing so there is ZERO slop and only then they glued it on.

This is a bit strange that I did not notice the motor issues on BNF #1 and #2 last year when flying them...but I did not check any shaft/bell play either.

..(:..)..

IMHO it is a good idea to order all parts in 2-3x batches, as there always are quality differences.
I noticed this even for the plastic blade holders where the (4) bearings are already pressed into.
As soon as I secure the two spindle (philips) screws so it is not loose, the blade holders are very rough and I can't turn them freely up and down.
Looks like the bearings are wrongly pressed into the plastic blade holders or the whole for the bearing is not big enough inside the holder.
Thankfully I did not notice any issue like this on my three BNF K110 helis when I got them last year.
But I run into this new issue on a new replacement part, out of the package.
PassinThru likes this.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 05-27-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post
Are you sure that the plastic servo gears are running smooth (when the heli is turned off)?
You need to be able to freely move the servo arms up and down by hand without any noticable much resistence.

One spare servo had a few stops and was going stronger when I tried to move the servo arm.

One installed cyclic servo on a new BNF K110 heli had the problem that the servo gears could be barely moved, much worse than any other servos or the above spare servo problem and there was a recognizable "click".

I had installed 2 metal swashplates (one black, one red) on three K110 helis and it was not a problem as the cyclic servos are fine for roll+nick and collective pitch.

However, one red alu swashplate (from the K120) had the problem that the (top) inner ring was not turning freely.
Obviously the factory had wrongly pressed or glued the inner ring or bearings into the hole and the whole swashplate was kinda corrupt when I ordered it.

So, check if your alu swashplate is OK and you can freely turn the top inner ring by hand.
You might want to try 1-2 other alu swashplates.

Your problem sounds more like a mechanical problem to me.
I noticed that someone on RCGroups.com confirmed about having issues with the red aluminium parts and not the black parts, too.

The alu swashplates with the golden brass ring or whatever you call it inside the hole of the inner ring usually are great as the diameter of the hole inside the brass ring is not so big than on the plastic swashplate.
You can measure that the hole of the plastic inner ring is bigger (too big), so there is more play around the main shaft when the plastic swashplate is installed.
This is much better on the aluminium swashplate because of the additional ring.
Maybe your problem is that the brass ring (inside the inner part) is wrongly pressed into it and you can't freely tilt it inside the installed hole?
Sounds to me that something is locked up....

--------------

Sadly to say XK quality is a hit and miss and there does not seem to be any quality control when they send their parts out to dealers.

How can it be that:

- that one bad servo (with the very bad click and very rough movement) was installed on a BNF K110? Surely nobody tried to turn the servo arm by hand and the heli was not test flown either or nick/roll and collective tests from the TX when the heli was turned ON.

- that 3 BL main motors (from the K110) are bad, even one spare motor right out of the package, that the outrunner bell slips up and is not fixed by the golden secure ring?
Two have a quite bad slop on the main shaft which means that when spinning the pinion gear moves.
I ordered one K110 BL motor from Germany, but now I have the same problem with a new motor and can't use / install it.
One BL motor is not that bad as the two others and only has a bit slop on the outrunner bell.
I can hover it a bit....but you can even hear it by the changing motor sound that the bell is slipping.

Only BNF #3 BL motor is fine and completely fixed on the motor shaft by the golden secure ring and obviously it is pushed up to the bearing so there is ZERO slop and only then they glued it on.

This is a bit strange that I did not notice the motor issues on BNF #1 and #2 last year when flying them...but I did not check any shaft/bell play either.

..(:..)..

IMHO it is a good idea to order all parts in 2-3x batches, as there always are quality differences.
I noticed this even for the plastic blade holders where the (4) bearings are already pressed into.
As soon as I secure the two spindle (philips) screws so it is not loose, the blade holders are very rough and I can't turn them freely up and down.
Looks like the bearings are wrongly pressed into the plastic blade holders or the whole for the bearing is not big enough inside the holder.
Thankfully I did not notice any issue like this on my three BNF K110 helis when I got them last year.
But I run into this new issue on a new replacement part, out of the package.
Ehh, maybe I will test again some time later. It looked so good, too. It is a black metal swash plate (with silever balls and arm) and brass inner. I got it from motionRC, they listed it as xk k110 metal upgrade sooo. I really wish quality control is better and quality around the tail boom + motor. But it is what I get for a cheap, budget heli. I just want to master 3g mode and do basic 3d and then move on to something like omphobby m2.
XKHeadache is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in