Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good luck!

The DX9 was the first of the "new" generation TXs that exist today. It used a different firmware that at the time only the high end DX18 was using so the models for the old DX7 & DX8 could not be directly transferred into this new protocol using the SD card without some sort of third party hack conversion tool. The DX6i which was the highest end 6 channel model at that time as you know didn't even have an SD card

Then soon after came the DX9 "black" edition which came with an ally hard case and the price went up for the DX9 a good bit from the initial gunmetal color release.

Soon all of the older radios started getting phased out as Spek started slowly releasing all of the new DX V2 and V3 editions of the 6 and 8 channel models and ultimately added the second diversity antenna into the handle that the DX9 always had from the beginning as well as use the current black color and same software format that the DX18 and original DX9 came with.

All the DX models have now essentially been standardized with the exact same quad bearing gimbals, dual diversity antenna and software between them, but the silver DX9 was the first evolution of this transition that started several years ago
Beserkr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheers... Fingers crossed.

Blade 400 '3DX' | 150s | OMP M2
DX9
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxIBBszfXNcHtNCM7dbELg
Beserkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Xray... That's a great synopsis of the Spektrum TX evolution and something I was unaware of.

I know US/UK markets are likely a bit different, but what would you think is a rough fair price? From the pics it looks great, with a slight scratch on the far left of the screen. Boxed with all accessories, even the lanyard and stickers.

DX9
Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

IIRC I paid $225 US for my used DX9. It had no charger but did include the lanyard. There is a small blemish to the upper left where it says DX9 on the front. I made up my own chargers. A couple for indoors and another with a lighter plug for a car. Been using it for two years now with no issues. The battery was holding a charge but had some years on it so I replaced that with a new larger capacity one.
Beserkr likes this.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserkr View Post
Thanks Xray... That's a great synopsis of the Spektrum TX evolution and something I was unaware of.

I know US/UK markets are likely a bit different, but what would you think is a rough fair price? From the pics it looks great, with a slight scratch on the far left of the screen. Boxed with all accessories, even the lanyard and stickers.
Thats a tough one. I have no idea what the originals are going for these days. I paid $340 for mine brand new several years ago when they first came out, and that was 6-7 years ago if I recall. Maybe check around and see what the original models have been selling for lately.

I found some old classified ads here where one sold for $230 five years ago back in 2015. I would think under well $200 for the originals as they didnt cost near as much as the later models did when new and are several years old at this point
Beserkr likes this.

Last edited by Xrayted; 05-29-2020 at 07:52 AM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow that really highlights the market differences between the US and UK.

For example - I'm also watching a nearly new (August 2019 purchase apparently) DX8g2 and with 48 hours left on the auction it's reached 205~$260. Hardly any used DX transmitters on fleabay so looks like it's a bidding war every time.

The guy with the DX9 won't give a buy it now - quite understandably he's letting it ride out due to interest. His example is 4 years old.

I'm actually considering using PayPal credit and getting a brand-new DX9 Black. Now I don't like this sort of idea usually - I've never even had a credit card and always have paid up front for stuff. BUT because of this, my credit rating isn't actually as good as it could be (it's good, but not excellent) - precisely because I never take out credit (except my cellphone contract).

PayPal give 0% interest over 4 months and spreading the cost like this makes such a purchase easier to swallow.

I may have to bend the truth a little if the missus asks how much it was though!
Xrayted likes this.

DX9
Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've also got one of the silver DX9's. Great radio! I upgraded from an original DX8 in order to get the new "Airware" system, now used in all of the G2/G3 stuff as mentioned earlier.

I think the DX9 is "top of the line" for a lot of people in the hobby. I don't see any real need for more than 9 channels unless you're flying giant scale with lots of extra servos and features. If you start spending that much on your models, then spending more for a transmitter with more channels won't seem like such a big deal.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still torn between a DX8 and a DX9. I can afford both, but the price difference is significant and getting the cheaper model would leave more funds for another heli.

I'm sure either one would serve my needs well, but the higher quality of the 9 is tempting. No rush anyway

DX9
Old 05-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm still torn between a DX8 and a DX9. I can afford both, but the price difference is significant and getting the cheaper model would leave more funds for another heli.

I'm sure either one would serve my needs well, but the higher quality of the 9 is tempting. No rush anyway

If you can afford it, go for the 9 ... I wish I would have due to this damn charging problem!
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post

If you can afford it, go for the 9 ... I wish I would have due to this damn charging problem!
That's my conundrum... RC budget for the year is there, but it'll mean I may have to wait much longer for another heli and maybe miss the fine weather this summer.

Especially since the EU radios don't support DSM2 meaning I can't fly my B400 unless I get another receiver for it.

You can probably tell I'm fairly indecisive at times so I'm struggling here... It's a big spend !

DX9
Old 05-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's my conundrum... RC budget for the year is there, but it'll mean I may have to wait much longer for another heli and maybe miss the fine weather this summer.

Especially since the EU radios don't support DSM2 meaning I can't fly my B400 unless I get another receiver for it.

You can probably tell I'm fairly indecisive at times so I'm struggling here... It's a big spend !

Receiver should be fairly inexpensive i'd think? I have a 4651t coming and its like $34 I think? Not sure what receiver you need for the B400 I guess ...
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which receiver is in the 400 now?

The current one with the least bells and whistles is the AR620.

Air Receivers: Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology
Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
Which receiver is in the 400 now?

The current one with the least bells and whistles is the AR620.

Air Receivers: Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology
It's an AR6100e - the original factory one.

So I've sat down with my accountant (Google Sheets) and I've largely been fussing over nothing. I started a new job recently and hadn't found the time to update my finances.

I can easily afford a new DX9 and case without worry, so I'll likely order one with a Spektrum hard case this weekend.

Then in a month or so pick up something like the 150s or 230s. With a new receiver for the B400, I think I'll be rather happy with my fleet!

Thanks for all your great advice and opinion, I'm very grateful for it you wonderful bunch!
BrokeDad likes this.

DX9

Last edited by Beserkr; 05-30-2020 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is done! Should have a new DX9 and SPM6722 case with me on Tuesday!

I don't even have buyer's remorse

BrokeDad likes this.

DX9
Old 05-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats!
Beserkr likes this.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ow common are dirty pots on the TX

Crashed today becasue of the TX.
During a few past flights on my beater 500, it seemed to have the throttle interrupted quickly, and then started working.

A week later, tried another heli, and it did the same thing.
Following week flew 4 batteries, and it was fine.

Acted up again today on two heli's so I am sure it is the TX.
I did order a new DX8 Gen2, but wondered if there is a common problem with my DX7 that I could try to fix (like clean the pots) if that is common.
Everything happens so fast, I can't say if it is a particular channel, but today's crash was additional channel...not just throttle.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 05-31-2020, 04:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm guessing you've checked your TX channel monitor screen to see if it's indeed the TX, and to see what channels are affected?

I suppose if it's an intermittent problem that's only happened in flight so far, you've been unable to do this?

I'd never heard of this kind of problem until my 6i started acting up and naively assumed TXs were simple and bulletproof.

If I were you, I wouldn't even consider flying anything bigger than a micro until you can trust the transmitter again. As I'd said earlier in the thread, I feel very lucky my 6i didn't crap out with my B400 hovering tail-in a few yards in front of me - it was the elevator pot which went, and so would have resulted in a 450-size heli with carbon blades backflipping towards me......

Scary thought, and it's given me even more respect for these things... Never really considered the TX a possible failure point. I'm glad I was taught this lesson in quite a gentle way!

Perhaps you could send it in to HH for a service? I've heard they're great in the States for that kind of thing and it probably won't cost you much.

What model did you crash? Hope she's not too damaged.

DX9
Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go Figure...I crashed my align 500 DFC....the nice one..first crash for that baby
I was also flying my beater align 500 Fly Bar...too bad that did not crash.
I noticed the eratic behavior, so I switched heli's....to confirm if it was the heli or TX.
Did not think it would go sideways and crash.

The killer is it burned out two fuses inside the BL70G which is not cheap.

I have a new DX8 coming next week..not worth risking any more crashing while trying to debug the TX

Thanks for your post...it pointed me to the pots as a possible problem, but now thinking back, I don't think it was just one channel...earlier, it just seems like the throttle power was shutting off, the cyclic "seemed" to be OK....but the DFC really went wonky...at least it was oly 5ft off the ground and landed in a mud puddle. Blades did not break....but that darn ESC is toast right now.

Ever heard of someone buying 100A SMD fuses??

Dan
Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah what a bastard - sorry to hear that mate.

If it's more than one channel maybe it's more than one pot? Literally the day after my DX6i elevator pot went, the rudder pot started doing something similar. Afraid I don't know enough about TXs to give any further advice, but ordering a new radio sounds like the best thing to have done.

Perhaps you could have HH service the DX7, keep as a backup or sell it on once it's fixed?

Good luck anyway and hope the DX8 works well for you.

I feel a little daft at the moment for buying a DX9, to only use it with a Nano S2.... (until I can get a DSMX receiver for the B400) but I will add to my fleet, because I have to do the radio justice!
fiddle likes this.

DX9
Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I have these parts and more

Did not know how to ad pics to PM's

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_150101.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	861617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_150041.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	861619  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in