Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So the DX9 arrived today...

The difference compared to the DX6i is hard to overstate, just oozes quality and so many more features.
I didn't come with an SD card, so I had to program in the Nano from scratch. Kinda preferred it that way anyway, as it was a good introduction to the new firmware.

Also showed up how wonky the DX6i was (nothing truly centred on that thing, and endpoints weren't symmetrical) - it actually made the slightly, but noticeably easier to fly.

The only criticism I have is the friction on the throttle stick - large movements are super smooth, but when trying to make fine adjustments in a hover it sticks, causing the heli to jump around.

Is there any other way to solve this without resorting to opening up the TX? I've not had time to read the manual fully yet - perhaps there are some screw adjustments which may help?

Thanks all for the advice and convincing me to go with this one - I don't regret it one bit.

Blade 400 '3DX' | 150s | OMP M2
DX9
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxIBBszfXNcHtNCM7dbELg
Beserkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my older DX9 there are a couple of rubber "squares" on the back of the radio. If you pop these off you get access to the adjustment screws without opening up the case. Look for those.
Beserkr likes this.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
On my older DX9 there are a couple of rubber "squares" on the back of the radio. If you pop these off you get access to the adjustment screws without opening up the case. Look for those.
I have the same on mine - thanks BD. Just tried various tensions from so loose the throttle stick would fall under gravity, to fairly tight. The stickiness with tiny corrections is still there with any tension.

Looks like I'll have to open her up. Not keen on doing that with a brand new piece of kit, but time to be brave (and careful) and get on with it as soon as I have the time.

Still, it's a fantastic radio and very happy with it - I'm sure I'll get that stick feeling the way I want it.

EDIT - just noticed there are actually two screws accessible in there. One is deeper in to the left and less obvious, that seems to be the one I was trying to adjust! Loosened it off quite a bit and it seems to have largely solved it. The throttle stick is extremely loose now, but I think I'll like it that way. I'll have to test it and see tomorrow.

I wonder if the second screw is ratchet adjustment?

DX9
Old 06-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also do a teflon tape mod. I have that in mine. Or use dry teflon spray to make it move smoother without any sticking.

What each screw is for should be in the manual or online pdf manual. Don't forget to register it so you can download firmware updates.
Beserkr likes this.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll do some further research on that mod - if I want a smooth stick with greater tension I think I'll have to do it.

I'm guessing you removed all factory grease before using the teflon spray?

The manual isn't actually that clear on throttle friction screws - it only shows one hole on the right (looking at the back of the TX) and there are actually two screws beneath that one grommet. The other grommet on the left is for when you've set up the TX in a different mode I think

EDIT - also - those rubber grips seem damn hard to peel back from the top as the manual instructs when you need to get at the spring tension screws (I think I'd like a little less stiffness in the ail, ele and rudder.

Do you just have to wrench them off?

DX9
Old 06-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserkr View Post

Do you just have to wrench them off?
I believe they do just pop off but don't trust me 100% on that. I haven't messed with mine in years since I got it how I want. When it came the previous owner had the throttle stick so loose it'd just fall under gravity.

Before the teflon tape I'd just use the teflon spray from the front on the gimbals. But it only lasted a few weeks so I eventually did the tape mod. BTW the spray does leave a white dry coating you gotta wipe off stuff so it looks pretty.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll see how I get on with some flights with a loose stick, might prefer it that way. If not I'll do some research on the Teflon mod and maybe get it done.

With the grips maybe someone has a video on YouTube showing removal... I really do hate taking anything apart when you can't see how it's fixed/fastened, especially with something expensive!

Once that's sorted I think next project will be upgrading the B400 with a DSMX receiver, interested to see how I get one with it since using the Nano as a trainer (can hover inverted in one spot comfortably without crashing).

Bet I'll notice the flybar though LOL
fiddle likes this.

DX9
Old 06-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

you need to update your signature to say DX9 Have you charged it yet? The light still light up on it during charging?
Beserkr likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
you need to update your signature to say DX9 Have you charged it yet? The light still light up on it during charging?
Haha true dat! I'll get right on it tomorrow, getting a bit late here and sorely need some shuteye. Felt very nerdy at the local park this afternoon with flying the Nano with a talking TX. Wonder what the locals think of the resident eccentric flying his little 'toy' with a starship computer....

Haven't done a full charge, but a blue light did indeed come on while charging!
fiddle likes this.

DX9
Old 06-03-2020, 05:01 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Haha true dat! I'll get right on it tomorrow, getting a bit late here and sorely need some shuteye. Felt very nerdy at the local park this afternoon with flying the Nano with a talking TX. Wonder what the locals think of the resident eccentric flying his little 'toy' with a starship computer....

Haven't done a full charge, but a blue light did indeed come on while charging!

Awesome!

they probably thought it was cool. Helicopters are cool
Beserkr likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 06-03-2020, 05:26 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

You say that, but I've found most people ignore it (and often obliviously cross my flight path despite plenty of room to go around!), or ask if it's a drone/has a camera then lose interest and walk off.

Sad really!

Though kids absolutely LOVE it. The other day has a little lad about 3 or 4 who was giggling like crazy and chasing it around as I did simple circuits. Well above him obviously for safety! I took the Nano up high and went in to inverted hover and the look on his face was priceless!!

May have inspired a future heli pilot hopefully!

DX9
Old 06-03-2020, 05:30 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You say that, but I've found most people ignore it (and often obliviously cross my flight path despite plenty of room to go around!), or ask if it's a drone/has a camera then lose interest and walk off.

Sad really!

Though kids absolutely LOVE it. The other day has a little lad about 3 or 4 who was giggling like crazy and chasing it around as I did simple circuits. Well above him obviously for safety! I took the Nano up high and went in to inverted hover and the look on his face was priceless!!

May have inspired a future heli pilot hopefully!

Well - they are a bit of work. That seems to turn most people off.

Maybe Dad will go buy that kid a mall copter to play with - there are some pretty tame safe ones out there.
Beserkr likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 06-03-2020, 05:36 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe!

Speaking of tame/safe, I had my first heli injury with the Nano this week.

Taking the piss a little, went flying in 10mph winds, gusting to 20mph (amazed it was possible... Even inverted, hut a workout!).

A sudden gust slammed it toward me and instinctively punched it out of the way. Did sting a little and broke the skin, even the Nano needs some respect....

DX9
Old 06-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

If someone is currently on a tight RC budget:
Then I would have recommended the Walkera Devo10 transmitter with the OpenSource DeviationTX firmware.

It is the replacement for my older silver DX8G1 (1st edition Airware) which for sure was a good heli TX but had some limitations in the firmware (no free channel mapping, not all switches selectable including Pmixes, max 6 programmable mixes, etc.).

There was and is a big quality difference and haptic feeling between a outdated Dx6i (a pretty dead horse which nobody should be required to ride anymore), the silver DX8G1 and a DX18/DX9.

I think you have chosen the right replacement TX (if you want to purely stick to Spektrum): DX9 (other option would have been a used DX18).

The 2nd edition Airware is a rewrite and has many more options and it will feel night and day compared to your old Dx6i.

But you can't have more than nine channels (so real time PID tuning might not be reachable for you if you need 12-16 channels).

If you want to buy a Spektrum transmitter IMHO you hardly can jump into this brand below the DX9 as the others only have 6 or 8 channels and the DX..e series does not offer sender antenna diversity.
And the IX12 is outdated already and was replaced with the more expensive IX20.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of limitations in features/Airware menus or channels because of a marketing department.
Even the Graupner MZ12Pro offered 12 channels (and not 6) according to our German RCN forum and experienced Graupner guys.

So yes, I'm satisfied with the Devo10 (=12 channel DSMx, multi-protocol, free programming with custom mixers in the advanced UI), definitely.
I'm more than happy that I did not have to pay almost 400EUR for the Dx9 where that channel limitations are still in affect (for no good reason).

But there is zero parts support from Walkera, sadly to say...

.......so I had to buy two old Devo7 TXes so I can use the two sticks aggregates (my Devo fell on the ground with the top/sticks first which probably has damaged a bit the potis as ail+rudder channels do not recenter to 0 and there also are sporadic channel values when I do not touch the stick) to exchange my broken left button / EXT board; thankfully they are compatible (the interconnected switches and cables are a bit different which you plug into the mainboard).

I am glad to that this Devo10 operation last week was very successful :-)

..(...)..

Another option might have been the Frsky Taranis X9 Lite (S) with the Hall gimbals (ACCESS protocol supports 24 channels) but - unlike the Taranis X9d - I am not sure if this "Lite" radio is compatible with external multi-protocol HF modules for a JR slot.

I could have bought it for 85-100EUR here in Europe and a German Frsky dealer had offered 15% discount in May over the ProWing weekend.
But for sure I would have had to do more research before jumping onto this train...and the X9 Lite misses one 3-way switch on the top right side where the knob is.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 06-08-2020 at 10:06 AM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I understand your point of view Thomas, but I really didn't want the hassle of messing around with learning complex OpenTX programming etc.

I have little time as it is to indulge in the hobby so I'd rather spend that time flying and tinkering with the helicopters.
I don't foresee needing anything more powerful (channels, features) than the DX9 for a long time due to cost and my skill level. I don't want to be spending thousands on larger more complex models when there's still a much-larger-than-zero chance of crashes.

Anyway, just tried to register the radio and keep getting this website error...

This page isn’t workingwww.spektrumrc.com redirected you too many times.

What a pain!

EDIT - does anyone know what the latests AirWare firmware version is? My DX9 is on 2.0

EDIT 2 - finally registered and can see firmware is up to 2.05. Will do a bit of reading on that lest it's got any major bugs. I'm waiting for an SD card and reader to be delivered anyway....

DX9

Last edited by Beserkr; 06-03-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Old 06-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I understand your point of view Thomas, but I really didn't want the hassle of messing around
Big benefit on Spektrum:
You can download the Blade/E-Flite UMX .SPM model files.
The Blade heli PDF manuals (tables) sometimes can be a bit confusing with zero written text explanations.

Quote:
with learning complex OpenTX programming etc.
Well yeah, this was basically the thing which was holding me back searching for a different Frsky [or RadioMaster TX16s] transmitter...

......OpenTX is a bit new world even programming probably is a bit similiar to DeviationTX (hopefully).

I still have one of these 4-in-1 HF Plug and Play modules lying around since last year which I could make use of the Futaba S-FHSS protocol so I can fly my XK K110 micro CP heli.
Right now I always have to remember to charge the 1s lipo for the external Robbe GeneralLink S-FHSS module NE480193 before I go to the green field which annoys me a bit.
And I must make sure that I do not leave the HF lipo at home in the charger

For Frsky I would have needed a new (compatible) 4in1 JR module and the RadioMaster with the internal 4-in-1 module was (or is) not available yet here in Europe (there will be some delay from the pre-orders).

I agree: This open mixer concept (as much powerful it may be) is VERY different to Spektrum Airware....but you will love your DX9 Airware menus...is is much more intuitive that this stuff I had seen from a friend on the Dx6i.

I guess it is easier for someone working in the IT field / with strong analytical or programming skills to step into this open / alternative transmitter firmware concept.

But you must be a little bit patient...and have nerves of steel.
But don't we already have "nerves of steel" from the RC hobby, heli setups and crashes/rebuilds?

But I also would have to take my time, reading the manual, while setting up the first models.
So it is better to do it in parallel when you don't really need it.

-------------------

Yesterday I almost lost my K110 micro CP heli in the field as I did not find it anymore for 45-60 minutes when this blue Goo lipo shut off ~1-1,5 minutes too early (lipo first was bugging, did not want to give me the full juice at 85% throttle and then the ESC completely cut off power).

Now I am back searching for the pin out cables for the Arduino Nano and an option to flash the XK K110 1s ESC so I can enable the loud motor Beacon interval.
4 lipos are still fully charged but I am afraid to fly at the moment with the higher grass without any piezo buzzer :-)
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 06-03-2020 at 10:22 PM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like to think I'm good with IT and good at figuring technical things out (I mean since I don't know any other RC pilots in person, I had to learn to fly and setup my B400 alone). I used to flash custom ROMs on my Samsung phones a few years ago...

But now, I just can't be bothered
fiddle likes this.

DX9
Old 06-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

It does seem the webpage/site is having issues. I'm getting the same error on different computers and browsers. I'm currently running 2.01. As long as you are on 2.0? you will have the newest features.

Deviation and OpenTX aren't too difficult to learn especially if you are computer literate and/or know other programming languages. At least I found it so.
Beserkr likes this.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't foresee needing anything more powerful (channels, features) than the DX9 for a long time due to cost and my skill level.

The DX9 will be fine for the foreseeable future for you unless you decide you want to get away from Spektrum for some reason or get into scale helicopters. 9 channels is plenty unless you are trying to do scale things like lights and landing gear and things like that.
Beserkr likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 06-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
It does seem the webpage/site is having issues. I'm getting the same error on different computers and browsers. I'm currently running 2.01. As long as you are on 2.0? you will have the newest features.

Deviation and OpenTX aren't too difficult to learn especially if you are computer literate and/or know other programming languages. At least I found it so.
I am on 2.0 yes - I'll run through the change logs for the successive versions and see if there are any major bugs fixed, or features I might want and see if it's worth doing.

I'd say I'm decently computer literate, and I'd enjoy figuring it all out. Would be fine if I was single, but I'm not.

I learnt a long time ago to pick my battles carefully, and creating another potentially huge timesink needing quiet isolation from the other half is something to be avoided if possible!

DX9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in