Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Quest and Kyosho

Quest and Kyosho Kyosho Caliber, Kyosho Helicopters

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By head_node
  • 2 Post By vinceinohio
  • 1 Post By Rex Batavia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Quest Neo-Caliber 50

I had a build thread going on over on RR about my Neo-Caliber 50. It wasn't complete, but I'm working on it again. I figured that I might as well re-create that thread here (as best that I can).

Anyway, I bought this heli from RCJapan a few years ago. I finally got the time and motivation to finish it. At first glance, I was a bit disappointed, as it came out of the box nearly 90% assembled. I enjoy building, so that was a let-down right out of the box.

Since, I've been very pleased with the assembly and quality. Quest did a pretty good job with the updates from the original Caliber. I've had to make a few modifications, but nothing major. Just normal RC Modeling stuff...

Since I can't in-line photos with this forum software, , I'll try to explain what I've done. First, I don't really like the Quest canopy. Don't get me wrong, it's very well made. It's thick fiberglass with a very nice paint job on it. I wanted the old Caliber canopy and was lucky enough to find one on Kyosho's USA store (the last one). It's a caliber 4 canopy. I think the C3 is the same canopy. I also was able to get the original Caliber tail fins. Quest did a nice carbon fiber update to these, but I chose to continue with the original look.

I used ProModeler servos; I've had good luck with these and the price/performance/support from John can't be beat. The FBL controller is an Ikon2. I did have to remove and lower the gyro mount on the servo tray to accommodate the Ikon2 to fit under the canopy. Not a big deal, it only needed a few mm of clearance.

I had a NIB YS .50 so that is the power at the moment. I still had an MP5 laying around, so that will join the YS.

I've got the short mast and low profile gear on the way from RCJ. It should be a fine looking machine when it's all done. I'm hoping to get it completed in a few weeks. It's time to fly here in the Southern US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	777841   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	777843   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	777845   Click image for larger version

Name:	install.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	777847   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	777849  

Name:	tail.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	777851   Click image for larger version

Name:	caliber4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	777853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_161208719_HDR.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	777855  
Ah Clem likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I liked the older canopy too.

I still have one on my Caliber 700.

It is very different looking and not everyone thought it was attractive, but it stands out and gives the machine a very different and (IMHO) very cool look.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I followed this on RR! Looking forward to seeing it complete and what you think about how it flies.
Ah Clem and head_node like this.
vinceinohio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I got a box of parts from RC Japan last week. It turns out that my model shipped with the low-profile skids. So, take a note if you order one of these. At least I have an extra set on hand now.

The short main shaft looks far better. It's an easy install too. Hopefully, I can finish this thing and see how it flies.

EDIT: It turns out the 'low profile' skids are, in fact, a bit shorter than the original ones. Not by much, but it'll still be a worthwhile addition.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190310_133413765.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	781641  

Last edited by head_node; 03-15-2019 at 03:47 PM..
head_node is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking good, sir.
I just now found this thread. Following.

aerosmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmith View Post
Looking good, sir.
I just now found this thread. Following.
Thanks man. I'm a little slow in getting it finished, but I'm making some progress. Sure helps when the weather starts getting nicer!

Speaking of progress, I got the low-profile gear installed. It's a fairly subtle difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190317_130523488.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	783035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190317_130625393.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	783037  
Old 03-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is a subtle difference.

I think the Caliber 700 had the lower profile gear as stock.

I can't find any photos of mine at the moment.

Great thread, by the way!
Old 06-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
That is a subtle difference.

I think the Caliber 700 had the lower profile gear as stock.

I can't find any photos of mine at the moment.

Great thread, by the way!
I use the Quest E12-787 lower profile skid on my Quest Neo Caliber E6-600 (equal Neo Caliber 50). It fits with very little modification. Here is an older picture. The skid pipes had then been shortened.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FAD15278-DDC8-49B6-B4B7-50D517507AC9.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	861941  
Ah Clem likes this.
Rex Batavia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_node View Post
I had a build thread going on over on RR about my Neo-Caliber 50. It wasn't complete, but I'm working on it again. I figured that I might as well re-create that thread here (as best that I can).

Anyway, I bought this heli from RCJapan a few years ago. I finally got the time and motivation to finish it. At first glance, I was a bit disappointed, as it came out of the box nearly 90% assembled. I enjoy building, so that was a let-down right out of the box.

Since, I've been very pleased with the assembly and quality. Quest did a pretty good job with the updates from the original Caliber. I've had to make a few modifications, but nothing major. Just normal RC Modeling stuff...

Since I can't in-line photos with this forum software, , I'll try to explain what I've done. First, I don't really like the Quest canopy. Don't get me wrong, it's very well made. It's thick fiberglass with a very nice paint job on it. I wanted the old Caliber canopy and was lucky enough to find one on Kyosho's USA store (the last one). It's a caliber 4 canopy. I think the C3 is the same canopy. I also was able to get the original Caliber tail fins. Quest did a nice carbon fiber update to these, but I chose to continue with the original look.

I used ProModeler servos; I've had good luck with these and the price/performance/support from John can't be beat. The FBL controller is an Ikon2. I did have to remove and lower the gyro mount on the servo tray to accommodate the Ikon2 to fit under the canopy. Not a big deal, it only needed a few mm of clearance.

I had a NIB YS .50 so that is the power at the moment. I still had an MP5 laying around, so that will join the YS.

I've got the short mast and low profile gear on the way from RCJ. It should be a fine looking machine when it's all done. I'm hoping to get it completed in a few weeks. It's time to fly here in the Southern US.
Quite interesting that the nitro version got push-pull tail linkage! Do you notice any advantage?

By the way, would you share the link to your RR build thread? Thank you.
Rex Batavia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in