Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > EGODRIFT

EGODRIFT Support Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By jrman83
  • 3 Post By AndyO
  • 1 Post By AndyO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oxy 5 + Egodrift 4025, Temp question

Here is some background to my question I had recently built an Oxy 4 max with an Xnova 2820-890 and was very impressed with how it would come down after a full flight slightly warmer than skin temp, was going to go with another Xnova on my Oxy5 build but started reading more about the Egodrift, lighter, stronger, cooler. Built my Oxy5 maiden hovered in my back yard all went well but when I went to hand temp test the motor it was pretty hot, couldn't keep hand on for more than a few seconds.

Now I know that the hand temp test is flawed, but I had read that ED motors come down cooler than Xnovas in the same size. I am running 9 degrees timing, hover test was at 1850rpm for about 5minutes canopy off. Am I missing something or is normal and I should get a temp gun(plan on getting one after work today).

Typically how hot should motors come down after flight?
Toe_Fuz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

So could you add a little more info?

-what Kv motor
-Pinion teeth
-Blades
Old 06-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Egodrift 4025 - 1050kv
Pinion: 12t
Main gear: 110t
ESC: HW120 9 degree timing, Freewheeling on
Blades: Lynx 550
Running Brain2 Gov 1850, 2000, 2200

I realize I am a little low in the RPM range for the gearing I have. Would dropping a tooth run cooler?
Old 06-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you drop a tooth you’ll loose a little at the top end... (won’t have enough overhead to gov. effectively)

Your setup doesn’t seem that out of whack for it to be gearing. Is everything else running smooth, gears binding, belt tension, etc?
Old 06-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I mean I have the belt pretty tight as per manual, noticed that it doesn't stay spinning as long as my other helis on throttle cut. But then again it is a super fresh 2-3 hover flight belt. Doesn't seem like anything else is binding, maybe just combination of fresh tight belt, flat hover, lower end RPM? or Egos just don't run as cool as my little baby Xnova? Or maybe my frame of reference for motor heat is too small?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can try going up or down in timing and see what works best. The recommended 9 degree of timing is a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Rabid121 and EGODRIFT like this.
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed, try at 7 or 8 and see. Bear in mind though that 60C can feel mighty hot to the hand, and that's not an unusual operating temp for the 4025 in an Oxy5. The smaller 40 series motors tend to run a little warmer than the larger 45 series, in my experience, maybe 10-15 degrees C or so. However, certainly nothing to worry about unless you're above the 70C mark - which given your gearing and headspeed, I'd say would be down to something mechanical causing excessive drag on the system - are you logging your average/peak current draw?

Have you actually measured the motor temp with an IR gun?
Rabid121, jrman83 and EGODRIFT like this.
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has the OP had any further luck?

I also recently got a ED 4025-1050 for my XLPower 550, running off a HW 120a V4. Made sure no binding, smooth drivetrain etc and also experiencing pretty high temps even off a hover. I also flew a full pack for about 2 min light 3D and was cut off, and when I measured the pack it was down to 3.6v which is highly unusual. Leads me to believe something about this setup is causing excess amp draw and heat.

Any changes to the setup that I should try? My timing is 9 per ED recommendation.

Thanks
Silvercomet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Resurrecting this thread. I just got the model together and doing setup flights. I'm also experiencing similar behavior. The ESC is warm to the touch but the motor is hot. Here is my setup:

Egodrift 4025 - 1050kv
Pinion: 11t
Main gear: 110t
ESC: HW120 15 degree timing
Blades: Lynx 550
FBL: iKon2

I don't know the exact head speed but I was governed at 50% flat throttle curve for this test flight. I ran 2 packs for ~6 minutes of easy flying.

I left the timing at the default value of 15 because I didn't know any better. I am going to try 9 degrees and see what it does.

I'm confident that there is no binding. Everything spins smoothly. Next time out I will use a temp gun to get an accurate measurement. I'll report back my findings.
kw_rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actual temp readings would be useful, always difficult to tell by hand. Good idea to drop your timing to 8 to 10, try and see. This particular motor does run warmer than what we see from the larger 45** series motors, but even so, I rarely see more than 60C to 65C from mine.
jrman83 likes this.
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in