Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sboss
  • 1 Post By JimJW
  • 1 Post By sboss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC Power Output % Parameter

I'm using the ikon2 governor with a hobbywing v4 ESC and I noticed on the logs that the throttle out % from the ikon is reaching 100% at the end of a pack and the rpm is dropping a bit. But the ESC power output % parameter is only around 70% at the end of a pack. What is this parameter and should it match the throttle out? I'm thinking maybe I have an ESC calibration issue.
sboss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It’s likely one of two things...

1) A bad throttle calibration, easy enough to re-do.
2) wrong throttle endpoints on the Governor Setup page of the Ikon wizard.
2a) the Ikon documentation for the Hobbywing esc recommends endpoints of: Min: 1100 / Max: 1940, it’s my understanding that those values are for an ESC with ‘default’ endpoints.

If you esc is putting out 70% but the Ikon is putting out 100% then it sounds like something is wrong...

— if the Max endpoint was set to 1700 or so, you might get the result you described (assuming a factory endpoint cal).

— Similarly if the Manual endpoint calibration had a high throttle endpoint of 2200 or more with a Ikon Governor Max endpoint setting of 1940 would get you to the same place.

I think throttle calibration can be tricky, the last couple setups that I did was to use the factory defaults (skip throttle calibration) and then used the recommended endpoints. The Store Gov. on the Hobbywing worked perfectly.

(I know you’re using the Ikon Gov. and Should Be using either ‘Heli Linear or Airplane mode’ settings for the esc) ...point being, endpoints worked right on...
Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So last night I double checked everything. The ikon governor endpoints are set to 1100 - 1940 as recommended. The transmitter throttle channel range is correct at 0 - 100%. The ESC is set to airplane mode (linear throttle).

I redid the ESC calibration making sure to use a normal throttle curve and disabling the governor temporarily. Got all the expected beeps during the calibration so I'm pretty sure it worked. I'll have to see what the logs look like on the next flight. The helicopter flies great so if it wasn't for the logs disagreeing I wouldn't have even known there might be an issue.

Maybe ESC power output % is the % of the ESC's total power or amperage capacity? I'm using a 200A ESC and I don't fly hard enough to use anywhere near the full capability of this ESC right now.
PaoloFCantoni likes this.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Yes, Sboss,

Clarification (preferably from Rik - BrainDev) on exactly what the ESC Power Output % measures would be most useful.

I have some issues understanding what my Brain2 is telling me about one of my Helis, so I'm also interested in this parameter.

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
on exactly what the ESC Power Output % measures
I would be willing to bet it is exactly what the ESC tells the Brain2 / iKON2 it is.
I doubt the Brain2 / iKON2 is post-processing some combination of data points to create a parameter named "ESC Power Output %"
Old 06-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
Quote:
on exactly what the ESC Power Output % measures
I would be willing to bet it is exactly what the ESC tells the Brain2 / iKON2 it is.
I doubt the Brain2 / iKON2 is post-processing some combination of data points to create a parameter named "ESC Power Output %"
I’m working on reading Hobbywing ESC telemetry directly. One of the data bytes is just that “Actual PWM Output” is what Hobbywing labels it...
Old 06-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
I’m working on reading Hobbywing ESC telemetry directly. One of the data bytes is just that “Actual PWM Output” is what Hobbywing labels it...
That's very good to know. So I think I definitely had a calibration issue then. I'll have to see if the new ESC calibration that I did fixes this issue. Where did you find the Hobbywing ESC telemetry data specifications?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
That's very good to know. So I think I definitely had a calibration issue then. I'll have to see if the new ESC calibration that I did fixes this issue. Where did you find the Hobbywing ESC telemetry data specifications?
Dan’s thread and Github site are the best resources I’ve found:

https://www.helifreak.com/#/topics/835243

https://github.com/dgatf/msrc

Hobbywing published the Platinum V3 a while back as part of the manual: (that’s my reference for the term “Actual PWM Output”

Click image for larger version

Name:	50CB6D4B-B9B6-4CF1-864F-918E518FD49A_1593030427076.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	865809
sboss likes this.

Last edited by JimJW; 06-24-2020 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: V3 not V4 :/
JimJW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I figured I'd update this thread in case anyone runs into an issue like this in the future. I did some troubleshooting and I am pretty sure my hobbywing ESC is just outputting an incorrect value to the Ikon2 for it's ESC power output %. Not sure if it's all of them like this or just an issue with mine (200A V4.1). Functionally everything is working as expected.

I disabled the governor and tried adjusting the min/max throttle values in the Ikon2 governor setup panel. Both the top and bottom values were set correct at their defaults of 1100-1940. If I lower the top value to 1930 there is a slight decrease in rpm and if I increase it to 1950 the rpm is unchanged.

With blades off and governor deactivated I get about 2600 rpm at 100% throttle with a half full battery. Meanwhile at this rpm the ESC is saying it's only outputting at 71%, but this is impossible because I'd never be able to get 2600 rpm at only 71% throttle (12S, 490 KV motor, 8.461 gear ratio). I've also checked the rpm with a tach and it matches what the Ikon2 is reporting.
acrow likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in