Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thomas.Heiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default K110 with Futaba T8J

I am having my first attempt at setting up a Futaba T8J to my K110. I have flown Spektrum for the past 6 years so struggling a bit. I have the heli flying but not all parameters are working correctly.
I cant get the idle-up to kick in. I set up switch E (3 settings) but obviously I'm missing something in the configuration. Nothing happens when I move the switch off setting 1 Normal.
Also I would like to set up a 3D/6G switch as well. Say on Ch5.
And a random question on the T8J, does it have a 5 minute Idle buzzer like Spektrum?
Maturecruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you program throttle curves for each switch position on E? Is E set to another channel? 3G/6G on CH5. Also expo is opposite of Spektrum.

CrashyCrashy
CrashyCrashy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Crashy. The throttle curves are programmed on each position and I "hope" E is set to that position?. Yes got the Expo correct from this forum and the graph on screen looks correct.
In regards to the 3D/6G gyro setup I have read the book several times but Im stuffed. Just dont understand the settings to even get started.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you ever flown a helicopter with the J8? Do you have the manual?

I use a Futaba T6K and 16SZ with my K110 and they work fine.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi ic-racer. I have always flown Blade and Spektrum. But decided to buy the K110. The X6 Tx that i got in the kit was dodgy and dealing with Banggood is like reading the X6 manual. So I decided to buy a Futaba radio. Got a used T8J and Im struggling with the settings. Yes I have the manual.
I think I have just figured out the idle up switch this morning. I set the curves etc but didn't realise I needed to go to the "condition" setting.
I have no doubt it will work fine.
Any chance you can help with the gyro/ 6G settings.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assign a switch to channel 5. Program the values to the switch positions you prefer. The values activate 3G/6G. It's in the K110 manual. - activates one + the other. The light on the RX will change when switching modes.

CrashyCrashy
Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashyCrashy View Post
The light on the RX will change when switching modes.
Are you 1000% sure on this one?
AFAICR no leds will switch when you change 3G vs 6G modes.

I have three boards V5 and V6 from the K110 here.
So I can verify again the next days.

Because of no indicator (light changes) I did last year the setup wrong the very first time with the Devo10/DeviationTX as the manual gives CH5/GYRO values but does not mention that the CH5 needs to be reserved (on DeviationTX).
So I basically I did the servo arm and swashpalte leveling setup in the 6G mode because of this error and it was completely wasted time as you needed to redo it in the 3G mode.

I just can guess the channel +- values are different for the RTF X6 and maybe also for Futaba radios?

@Maturecruiser

Make sure that you are 100% in the 3G mode when you do any mechanical setup on the K110!!
If no LEDs change the only way to check this is to fly / hover the heli; then you will know.
CrashyCrashy likes this.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 07-02-2020 at 07:48 AM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I setup both my K110 and Trex150 with two 'models' in the transmitter. One 'model' is always in 6G or Stability mode. The reason I do that is because I find it easier to trim the Stability mode for in-house flying by using the trimmers on the transmitter.

Obviously for 3D flying (outdoors) I want the trimmers all at Zero, so I use a separate 'model' setup for outdoors.

Perhaps if I were better at programming the transmitter I could figure out if some 'condition' would have separate trimmer settings.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my Devo10 (DeviationTX) I use the upper 3-way MIX switch.

- Mix1 (the middle): is ZERO nick/roll trims.
- Mix0 (3G, outdoor flying): is setup for "flight mode dependent" trims and where I can trim the last things out even my swash is perfectly level (slightly AIL to the left, ELEV trimmed to the back).
- Mix2 (6G, outdoor on indoor flying): is setup for "flight mode dependent trims and which switches my GYRO/CH5 value from 3G to 6G

Every transmitter should support flight mode dependent trims and not only global trims.
You just have to activate it somewhere in a menu

With my new K110 V6 board and the double-stacked Tarot ZYX foam pad I do not need to trim nick/roll when I did the "6g hover trim" flight (both ELEV + THR sticks down so the blue led flashes).

On a V5 board with two different "not so soft" foam pads I am having more difficulties in getting the 6G mode working as the drift is much heavier.
My impression: Nick/roll trims would not help that much here...and surely not with 0.1 trim steps (default).
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 07-02-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Old 07-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not getting any colour changes when moving the gyro channel F and at this stage I have had to do any mechanical repairs or set-ups. I checked the swash as per John Salt setup tips, and adjusted the end points to get my +- 10/12 degrees. All good.
I'm trying to get the Tx correct before I attempt anything other than a 6" lift in the house.
I might post a couple of pictures of the Gyro screen tomorrow and get your opinions as to whether it is setup correctly.
As I'm not a good pilot I would like the stability mode correct before I start testing the idle up settings.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am counting flight times with a 3rd permanent timer in DeviationTX.
So I do want to have one flight profile for each BNF heli.

But I can understand very well that you want to use a 3G/Outdoor model profile with ZERO trims (or trims to be completely deactivated) if you have manually adjusted your swashplate for any "in flight drifts".
But personally I like to mechanically setup my swashplate for being perfectly level and I am not that much interested trying to turn the rods again to compensate for nick or roll drift.

The MIX1 switch (middle position) helps me to reinitialize the K110 board with ZERO trims each time I plug a new lipo into.

If the K110 FBL would be more powerful (like on the Blade helis, Trex150x, full blown FBL units) it would give you setup menus to properly adjust:

- servo horns for 90 degrees
- swashplate ZERO (not having you to use the 6CH collective pitch subtrim)
- unequal swashplate max/min travel
- unequal positive vs negative swashplate travel
- tuning any nick/roll drift

If I crash the K110 or I have to exchange a servo or servo gears I want a proper solution where I can measure the swashplate to be 100% level in 3G (with zero trims) with a leveler tool / zip tie method so I can't adjust the 2-3 rods for any "in flight drifts" afterwards.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe the light doesn't change on the K110. I might be thinking of the K130 I had (My Blade helis change.) My default switch position is 3G/3D. I don't switch to 6G for any reason. I'll have to look, however I think Thomas is correct.

Regardless, the set up is very simple. Hover it, if it self levels it's in 6G....

CrashyCrashy
Old 07-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is a great response from a guy called Crashy Crashy, hover it and if it self levels its in 6G. My capabilities are very limited and if I tried to hover in 3D it would probably go crashy crashy. Seriously thanks for your help.
I think I,m nearly there.
This all started because the X6 it came with was operating as it should. And I'm arguing with Banggood. I went and bought a second hand T8J rather than wait 2 months for the discussions and postage delays from China.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

An update. I am fairy sure I have it mostly sorted. I say mostly because it does fly in both 6g and 3g. I dont have the idle-up exactly correct but getting there.
My next issue will be in another forum - I cant hear the alarm on the Tx. Bugger.
Thanks for the help from the guys in this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in