Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which Jeti would you recommend?

I’m in the market to move on from my old DX9 and I have been looking at the Jeti and of course the Vbar. But I’m not sold on the Vbar as I’ve seen many people selling them. Anyway I know nothing about Jeti other than the older DS16 I played/messed with at a recent heli event. I currently run a BD 3SX FBL which I like but I'm not a posed to moving to a different brand of FBL. I mention this because I’m not sure what would be the best FBL to run with the Jeti.
Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I run my DS16 with standard receivers in planes and helis. In planes the mixing and ability to control channels is exceptional. I know the Mikado fan boys will tout that Vbar control radios work in planes but sorry, when I'm setting up a complex jet with a crapload of channels, I just don't see how the vbar setup is optimal.

Now in relation to heli flybarless controllers, I have run it with skookum, MSH brain and brain2/ikon2, spartan, and now a Sprirt RS with integrated receiver.

I have integration functioning on the brain 2, spartan, and spirit controllers.

They all have a different environment and settings/terms but they all work flawlessly with the Jeti.

If you are just a heli guy the DS12 looks pretty awesome but for me I would love a DS24 for the extra channels and controls for planes...

Your mileage will vary.

Either system is here to stay and if you are just a heli guy either will work well for your needs.
Hicksy likes this.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

DS-12
Brain2
IndividualWon and Sycorax like this.
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks.
I guess I should have added this question as well, is the Jeti radio to complex for something like the kraken 700 or a Nitro S7? My old DX9 works but the throttle/pitch gimbal is horrible I have it tightened all the way and the stick will still fall if I hold the radio up vertical. I prefer something with back pressure on the pitch gimbal.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The new DS12 will do everything you need and more, though you will need to get a few of the optional modules. It would be the most affordable way into the system. They are all great radios. I used to use the DS16 and went to DS24. Love both.

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

For helis, DS-24 is probably overkill. DS-12 will do what you need if you're going to buy new. Yes, you will need to buy some of the software modules.

There are going to be a number of used DS-16s hit the market and they will have to be below DS-12 prices by a margin. The only things you would give up are a color screen, and LUA programming. I survived a lot of years without LUA, but it is nice to have in my new DS-12.

Brain 2 has integration with Jeti, Spirit as well. I tried both and went with Spirit, others have tried both and gone with Brain 2. Likely it's just your preference.

Dan
Old 07-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the "test drive" program I seen on Esprit website for real? If so have any of you guys heard of anyone who has done this?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is real.
I did not try it. I also don't know anyone who did.

You should do it if you are considering a Jeti. Give them a call.
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunaRut View Post
Is the "test drive" program I seen on Esprit website for real? If so have any of you guys heard of anyone who has done this?
I did it, it cost me a lot of money The DS-12 was so good I had to get one...
dogbreath and Hicksy like this.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

we've switched from Spektrum (touchscreen) to DS-12 with both TXs some weeks ago... and there is nothing on it i would not recommend to a friend. no problems with VBar, VBar Neo and Spirit 2. perfect integration especially with the Spirit - Neo working as a charm too... but no programming via Tx (anyhow only available with VBC). others are having the same experience with Brain/2... and other FBLs too.

programming is well structured and logical... and there really is almost nothing you can't do... it's really powerful. esp. telemetry is leading edge.

Esc telemetry integration available for many ESCs either with the FBL unit itself or with Jeti receivers directly (and if the ESC doesn't handle telemetry, the huge set of Jeti telemetry units will do).

so nice gimbals... especially the pitch stick gives much better control feeling for my . my flying precision was above the old system already after some max. 3-5 flights.

super easy to change out switches (all available in the shop for some bucks) etc... or simply switch the position of the switches... if the layout does not match your needs - change it.

Ciao
Michael

nb: if you are staying within VBar universe with your components and usage - VBCT is perfect selection too... best FBL integration available of course. programming of Esc etc great of course. we had both on the list... decided for Jeti in the end.
KiwiBlair likes this.

Last edited by Rabid121; 07-09-2020 at 03:21 AM..
Rabid121 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

One caution to point out is that the upper back plate posts need to clear the switch ribbons after you change switches and replace the back. Just be aware that you can pinch ribbons or even screw through them if not careful. Cable ties will help.

When changing pots to switches, the ribbon connection to the switches may need to be reversed so plug the battery in and check the switch before you put the cover back on. I know these things because.......

My first unboxing impression was "I bought a toy?" because it was so much lighter than the DS-16. I am suitably impressed after flying it. I would like softer springs, though.

Dan

edit: Did the spring stretch. Much better now. Did slightly too much on one, but screwing the adjustment down just a bit made it good.
Rabid121 likes this.

Last edited by dogbreath; 07-10-2020 at 01:44 PM..
dogbreath is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
The new DS12 will do everything you need and more, though you will need to get a few of the optional modules. It would be the most affordable way into the system. They are all great radios. I used to use the DS16 and went to DS24. Love both.
Think of a DS-12 too, can you elaborate on which modules I would need. I was thinking of just getting Package A.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticheli View Post
Think of a DS-12 too, can you elaborate on which modules I would need. I was thinking of just getting Package A.

Jeff
Are you a tinkerer? If so, get the deluxe

Otherwise package A or maybe even package B will be good for you
Old 07-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildFlyCrashRepeat View Post
Are you a tinkerer? If so, get the deluxe

Otherwise package A or maybe even package B will be good for you
When I was younger, I would tinker all the time. Now, I just want to go to the field and fly. I have a 8FG that I have had since they came out. Would like to stick to Futaba, but there is not any integration.

I was looking at Package A, just thought I would get some input on what other people have done.
Jeff
Old 07-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with deluxe. Buy once, cry once.

Also because the Carbon is only in Basic or Deluxe
Old 07-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I piecemealed my options:
-Accelerometer
-Flight Modes - up to 6
-Telemetry analysis via graphs
-Voice output
-Channels - up to 12
-Vibration Alarms
Old 07-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildFlyCrashRepeat View Post
I went with deluxe. Buy once, cry once.

Also because the Carbon is only in Basic or Deluxe
I understand the mentality, but I don't like paying for something that I will not use.

Thought about just buying the basic and adding options later as I need them.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I somewhat disagree with that.

Had I not gotten the Deluxe, I never would have found a use for things I wasn’t ever going to add on.
Sycorax likes this.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticheli View Post
I understand the mentality, but I don't like paying for something that I will not use.

Thought about just buying the basic and adding options later as I need them.
This is what I did. So far I have voice output. Would like telemetry analysis at some point, vibration and maybe accelerometer. But I seem to be able to fly just fine with the lack of doodads added. Yeah maybe I'm not using the full potential of the setup but at least its there if I need it but for now I'm content with just focusing on my flying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in