Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Colorless VP heli fuel ....need to add dye

Looking for some help from the HF community as Iíve not run into this issue before.

I purchased several cases of VP 23.5% heli fuel last year, and have been working my way through them.
In the last case I opened the first 2 gallon jugs had clear fuel in them Ė no dye at all.

After contacting VP in Texas, they told me the fuel was fine, and that the dye must have Ďdisappearedí due to direct sunlight or excessive heat.
Neither of those are possibilities, so Iím looking for ideas of dye I can add to the fuel. Has anyone had to dye their nitro fuel before?
Having a tank of colorless fuel is like driving blindÖ..you donít have any indication of the fuel level!
#749: The end won't be for everyone. The choice, to know, will be yours

-Let's Go Brandon!!!
Skeezix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
After contacting VP in Texas, they told me the fuel was fine, and that the dye must have ‘disappeared’ due to direct sunlight or excessive heat.
If you didn't do it, then the shipper did.
I guess if they say "... its fine", you can still use it. Call them back and ask them what they use for the dye and how much to add.
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some of the F3A pattern guys run clear fuel in their big YS Four Strokes. They claim that the clear fuel runs better. The YS Four Strokes are very picky engines. So I bet VP just missed putting dye in your fuel.

I've done some home brew fuel before. I colored it with food dye. A few drops per gallon will do it.
Loving the LHS life in Houston, TX
dshriver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshriver View Post
Some of the F3A pattern guys run clear fuel in their big YS Four Strokes. They claim that the clear fuel runs better. The YS Four Strokes are very picky engines. So I bet VP just missed putting dye in your fuel.

I've done some home brew fuel before. I colored it with food dye. A few drops per gallon will do it.
I've read food dye works, but in my case it dropped right out of the fuel. I've contacted several other fuel manufactures (and also Klotz), but no one will tell me what dye/s are used.

-Let's Go Brandon!!!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you arenít having much luck. Here is something that will work: buy some cool power heli fuel and mix it in. I have mixed Powermaster and cool power and they play well together.

The only challenge is that I donít think cool power comes in 23.5%, just 20 and 30. If you arenít too concerned about staying right at that percent nitro, then mix in some CP 30 and end up at 25-ish, or mix in CP 20 and end up in the 22-ish range.

If you must stay at 23.5, then you can mix in some of both CP 20 and 30, but you can work out the math on that.
Todd74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd74 View Post
Sounds like you aren’t having much luck. Here is something that will work: buy some cool power heli fuel and mix it in. I have mixed Powermaster and cool power and they play well together.

The only challenge is that I don’t think cool power comes in 23.5%, just 20 and 30. If you aren’t too concerned about staying right at that percent nitro, then mix in some CP 30 and end up at 25-ish, or mix in CP 20 and end up in the 22-ish range.

If you must stay at 23.5, then you can mix in some of both CP 20 and 30, but you can work out the math on that.
Mixing fuels is my fallback. I dont have access to cool power but might mix the clear VP with regular VP for some color. I’m amazed there isn’t a readily available dye.

-Let's Go Brandon!!!

Last edited by Skeezix; 09-24-2020 at 12:35 PM..
Old 09-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try this...

Call Randy’s Hobbies in Houston, TX. Ask for Terry. I bet he will tell you what to use. Randy’s is the hobby shop that is owned by the guys behind Rich’s Brew glow fuel. They manufacture it themselves and will dye it any color you want. Maybe Terry would be willing to sell you some dye.

http://randyshobbies.com/
Loving the LHS life in Houston, TX
dshriver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are places you can buy the dye that is used. They are dyes that are used for polar solvents. This link will get you pointed in the right direction I believe. https://www.organicdye.com/dyes/solvent-dyes/

Edit: I would call organic dye to get the mixing ratio as well as correct dye compound. I looked and i think its grams of dye to liters of fluid.

Last edited by MadRotorz; 09-30-2020 at 10:32 AM..
MadRotorz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used a product called Gension Violet, not sure on the spelling. I got it from the drug store, had this one small bottle for 25yrs. its very concentrated, just a few drops in a gallon of fuel and it was purple. never had any issues with it. it might not even be around anymore but it was what we used. Goggle it and see what comes up.
T
74ranch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in