Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to Jeti

Hello everyone, I've been a Spektrum guy as long as I've been in the hobby due to the simple plug and play nature.

Recently I switched to Jeti and I'm wondering what Jeti receivers I should use for my electric and nitro CP helis. Also curious what telemetry sensors or add ons you would recommend?

Do I still need to use satellite receivers or are those a thing of the past because of the duplex 2.4 ghz/900mhz?

Kraken 700 nitro with Spirit 2
Kraken 580 nitro Spirit 2
Kraken 580 12s electric Spirit 2
Goblin 420 sport Spirit 2

All of which are currently Spektrum but in the process of converting over to Jeti.

I do have some Spirit RS on order but I'm wondering what receivers I should get ordered so I can some of these birds in the air again. Any information, experience, or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by smokin3000gt; 10-07-2020 at 11:28 PM..
smokin3000gt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to the Jeti family!

In short, any Jeti receiver that supports Sbus will work, which is nearly all of them.

You won’t need satellite receivers, as the signal strength from just the 2 antenna leads should provide solid RF coverage for any heli, so long as the ends of the antennas are outside any carbon fiber panels or canopies.

The Light series of receivers (R4L, R5L) are the smallest and lightest, but they’re not the easiest to mount due to it’s not using a standard case. Their normal receivers are still plenty small & light enough for helis, so I stick with them.

If all you plan to connect is the Spirit 2, than the R3/RSW receiver will be perfect. It’s the smallest of the cased receivers that’s available in the US, and has the Sbus output.

The REX7 will also work, but you’re paying for more servo connections that you won’t be using, unless you wanted to control servos for retracts / lights / whatever.

As for telemetry, you should be able to pass through all telemetry from your ESC, slo long as its one of the supported brands (Hobbywing, Jeti, Scorpion, and some more).

You can also add in Jeti telemetry sensors if you wanted to measure thins like motor temp, individual cell voltages, altitude, and more. They even offer a flow sensor for your nitro heli to measure flow rate, and fuel consumed. For most electric heli pilots, the info from their ESC is all they need.

** If you plan to add external Jeti telemetry sensors, you’ll need to go with the REX7 receiver. On the R3, the port normally used for telemetry is repurposed for Sbus, but on the REX7, you can set any one of the 7 outputs to Sbus, leaving the EX port available for external telemetry sensors.

Last edited by wkderf; 10-07-2020 at 10:18 AM..
wkderf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ll point you over to my thread for reference.

For the Helis you listed I would look at the R3/RSW. Unless you’re not in the US or Canada; then get the R3 Rex.

There is no reason to need a satellite, I asked the same question (coming from spektrum also) it’s not an issue. The RXs have diversified antenna and it just works. It doesn’t forgive bad antenna placement so you still need to be careful.

No need to go with 900 MHz either, unless you’re flying beyond line of site...

I was able to get my hands on a R3 REX and R7 nano. The REX is the same size as a R3/RSW and the R7 is tiny. I wouldn’t put it on anything bigger than an Oxy2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
I'm in the middle of converting my fleet to Jeti. So I'm new, not too familiar with Jeti and I have a bunch of receivers to install!

If there is anyone in the future that ends up looking for how the different RXs compare, hopefully this will help. I'm in the US so receivers are limited to what is available... (I wish I had a EX R3 REX and a EX R7 Nano to show)

So on hand I have:
1) R3/RSW
2) EX R5 light (Bundled with my DS-12)
3) EX R4 light (2)

I'm still working on putting things in, so no 'real world' type of review here but I wanted to try to summarize the differences between the receivers. If I get it wrong I'm sure another Freak will set me straight. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif[/IMG]

Thoughts:
  • They are all about the same size / weight
  • The R4 and R5 lights have shorter antenna
  • The R3/RSW has longer antenna
  • The EX Bus port on the R5 is at the opposite end, next to the antenna
  • R3/RSW has a 'Hardcase', others are shrink wrapped
  • Range should be reasonably similar provided antenna are in the clear (harder with short antenna [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif[/IMG])
  • All will work with Jeti EX Bus and in my case integrate with an IKON2 FBL
  • The R4 should integrate and provide full IKON2 telemetry even though Jeti states that it has limited telemetry. The telemetry that Jeti is referring to in that statement is the A1 / A2, the individual antenna info from the RX. Q the overall signal strength is still there and IKON telemetry and integration work.

Hope this helps [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif[/IMG]

I'm coming from Spektrum so for comparison, here's a shot with the new SPM4651T and a Lemon Satellite.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am also waiting for some RS's to arrive but in the meantime I just use a small REX3 one servo wire that has been split as per this page
Jeti Integration - Spirit System Manual
ChickenLips is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pictures above with the antenna length do not show the ę*newer*Ľ antenna that now comes with the 200 length ( you can get antenna with 2x100 or 2x200). They are wider at the end (see picture below, I did not find one for an R3 but I have some R3 with it).

In my book the extra length is great for some application but the wider end is a pita to thread thru some stuff and some antenna holder.

By the way, I guess you know, but if you use a Spirit RS you do not need any other receiver than the one included in the Spirit RS casing and delivery is usually very fast. The Spirit RS comes with 2x100 antenna length.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12E82A30-EA42-42BE-903E-0B2C41BFFE5D.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	884361  
Old 10-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And the Spirit's all support using the Jeti EX protocol directly from the receiver, so only 1 wire connection, with full integration and control of your Spirit functions from your radio.

Same for Ikon2!
Medic33 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
The Spirit RS comes with 2x100 antenna length.
Spirit advertises: 2x 20cm Full-range antennas

https://store.spirit-system.com/en/s...spirit-rs.html
Old 10-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFuss View Post

... yes, mine came with 20cm antennas! (***corrected - 29 was a typo ***)

Last edited by Rabid121; 10-08-2020 at 02:54 AM..
Rabid121 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFuss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid121 View Post
... yes, mine came with 29cm antennas!
I will measure mine (once home) but I can assure you without measurement that they are shorter than the one I have on my R3 that are said by Jeti to be 200.
Unless I got an earlier batch with short antennas as I was one of the first to order them.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Pictures above with the antenna length do not show the ę*newer*Ľ antenna that now comes with the 200 length ( you can get antenna with 2x100 or 2x200). They are wider at the end (see picture below, I did not find one for an R3 but I have some R3 with it).

In my book the extra length is great for some application but the wider end is a pita to thread thru some stuff and some antenna holder.
I think there is a lot of old stock at Esprit in the US. My new R3/RSW have the plain straight antenna. All of them were purchased this summer. My REX3 has the Balums. And the R7 nano just has a straight wire.

Name:	C0777BF8-9986-4A32-8534-8FA15CFB497F_1602102471981.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	884449
Old 10-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I will measure mine (once home) but I can assure you without measurement that they are shorter than the one I have on my R3 that are said by Jeti to be 200.
Unless I got an earlier batch with short antennas as I was one of the first to order them.
I just measured my REX3-A20 my R3/RSW and from the case to tip is very close to 195mm for both.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, the replies have been very helpful!

I'm waiting on the SRS but will likely pick up a couple REX 3ch receivers.

So if I understand correctly, the the only difference between the REX and the RSW is that the RSW is the US version (FCC approved) of the Rex?
Old 10-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
So if I understand correctly, the the only difference between the REX and the RSW is that the RSW is the US version (FCC approved) of the Rex?
The REX receivers have multiple EX ports. If your just plugging into a FBL, then the R series receivers will be just fine.

If you want or need external sensors, then you’ll need a REX receiver. I’ve been told not to hold my breath on the REX3 being certified in the US/Canada. External sensors can be anything that plugs into an EX bus, like the Jeti MUI: https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tel...ty-mui-ex.aspx

Most FBL allow you to plug the ESC into a port and forward the ESC data through its connection to the receiver. It’s just sensors that don’t plug into the FBL that have issues.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Temp sensor for Nitro

Which sensor should I use for head temp on my Nitro birds? Spektrum's temp sensor is $10 and the Jeti M300 is $50. Am I looking at the wrong sensor for Jeti or is there just that much of a price difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
The REX receivers have multiple EX ports. If your just plugging into a FBL, then the R series receivers will be just fine.

If you want or need external sensors, then youíll need a REX receiver. Iíve been told not to hold my breath on the REX3 being certified in the US/Canada. External sensors can be anything that plugs into an EX bus, like the Jeti MUI: https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tel...ty-mui-ex.aspx

Most FBL allow you to plug the ESC into a port and forward the ESC data through its connection to the receiver. Itís just sensors that donít plug into the FBL that have issues.
Thank you
Old 10-08-2020, 02:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I buy REX receivers for almost everything, minimal cost difference and far more ports supporting FBL integration and telemetry.

Much more future proof for moving to new models in the future.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2020, 02:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi... i've just corrected my above post to NOT spread additional confusion.... it is of course 20cm antenna... the 29 was a typo - should not post with mobile.

pic of the last one i received - posted in another thread:

Old 10-08-2020, 06:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My apologies for the confusion too. Age I guess They are 20 cm (or just a tad under)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7CCD427F-AC90-4DC7-9CC9-7176DB7889D4.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	884515  

Last edited by Puttputt maru; 10-09-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Puttputt maru is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Which sensor should I use for head temp on my Nitro birds? Spektrum's temp sensor is $10 and the Jeti M300 is $50. Am I looking at the wrong sensor for Jeti or is there just that much of a price difference?
It really depends on what FBL you’re using. If you are using a Jeti sensor, it will not be cheap. I think the Jeti might have two sensors also.

I think Ikon supported the Jeti and Futaba temp sensor. No EX straight to the RX in that case.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you
Hi,

you cannot compare those 2... the $10 Spektrum "sensor" is just a piece of cable with a resistor... all the electronics being in the receiver or telemetry module. the Jeti one is the complete Jeti EX enabled sensor electronics (can be attached to any Jeti Rx EXT/E1/E2 port or even FBL like Spirit RS, reporting standard Jeti telemetry) with 2 sensor cables (like the Spektrum one) on it.

Ciao
Michael
Old 10-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am in the same boat, new to Jeti and very much appreciate the information. Thank you very much. Are there any common practices or suggestions on the best way to mount antenna? I have seen some people using 3D printed mounts on the Henseleit forum. What do others do?
Limp_J is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in