Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum NX Series Radios

I just noticed these on the HH site. NX6, NX8, NX10

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NXRadios.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	885497  
Indokast likes this.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

They posted them on Facebook today too. I just bought a Vcontrol so I am out of the new radio market. I wanted their ix20, but just couldn't do it based on hunches and a few reviews. This one may have got me to get one had I not already bought one.
dschertz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hopefully it goes better than the iX series. iX was enough for me to jump ship.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

They actually look really nice!

Spektrum NX Family of DSMX Aircraft Transmitters (4 min 54 sec)
BrokeDad likes this.
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wifi....be nice if they ever get a cloud for our flight data storage.

spec and feature chart
file:///home/chronos/u-aef9ae5473178...es%20Chart.pdf

new receiver looks interesting
https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?...=&lang=default

another guy mentions, To disengage the throttle ratchet ...... " page 48 of the online PDF manual, it looks like all the gimbal adjustments (tension, throttle ratchet etc) can be done from the gimbal face."

Last edited by Ken Here; 10-15-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do like that the NX6 is a 6 1/2 channel radio. If my DX6 had the extra 3 position switch, I would have never needed another radio.

I hope the gimbals are better, looks like they are hall-effect. Crossing fingers for no Teflon mod on the throttle.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
I do like that the NX6 is a 6 1/2 channel radio. If my DX6 had the extra 3 position switch, I would have never needed another radio.

I hope the gimbals are better, looks like they are hall-effect. Crossing fingers for no Teflon mod on the throttle.
I read a conversation that said only the 10 had the hall effect gimbals.
dschertz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like they are slowly creating their own ecosystem in which you must be using all of their electronics and packs to make full use of the features. That's going to be a hard sell for more experienced guys with bigger kit models. Their packs are just way overpriced 15C batts, and how many guys are actually equipping their Goblin 700s with all Spek electronics?

A couple nice small changes for anyone else otherwise, but the question will be at what cost and would it be worth the upgrade? My guess is they will do as they have always done with their so called "high end" models in the past.

That is to overprice the 10 into the same realm or even higher than much better featured and well established actual high end radios that anyone outside their ecosystem would typically buy anyway, so they will never get that business.

In other words it won't really offer any more actual flight functionality that anyone outside of the ecosystem currently using 6 year old DX9 already has, but at Jeti prices and the choice will be a no brainer for most in that scenario

Last edited by Xrayted; 10-16-2020 at 05:14 PM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Typical that I've only had my new DX9 for just a few months.

When I bought it and saw how long the 9 had been on the market, I had a strong feeling that an updated model would be arriving soon.

You can't always be waiting for the next best thing though, as you'll be waiting a long time...
trillian likes this.

Trex 550X | Blade 400 '3DX' | OMP M2 | Blade 150S
DX9
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxIBBszfXNcHtNCM7dbELg
Beserkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wasn't sure if we'd ever see something non-Android again like the DX9. Glad to see Spektrum keep that choice out there.

DX9 is still a great radio. The DX transmitters can still do just about everything mentioned in that video.

The most interesting NX feature to me is the fact that the internal memory can be connected to a computer by USB, eliminating the need for SD cards. However, you can still use an micro SD card if you like (handy at the field/sharing with other people). The SD card slot on the DX series has become quite dated since it doesn't seem to like Class 10 cards or cards over a certain size.

Another plus is that all of the NX radios have the lithium battery now. I never did understand why the Gen 2 DX series (6/7/8) was based on a case that was designed for AA batteries and the rechargeable battery seemed like an afterthought.

I also like the fact that the NX6 has a 7th channel that can only be operated by a switch. I have never recommended a 6-channel radio for this hobby because stabilization takes up its own channel to control which flight mode you're in. Even though the 7th channel is limited to a function like that, at least it keeps all 6 of the main channels open for flight controls.

Last edited by flightengr; 10-16-2020 at 08:41 AM..
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In other words it won't really offer any more actual flight functionality that anyone outside of the ecosystem currently using 6 year old DX9 already has, but will cost as much or more than a Jeti
Serious?

I did not missed WiFi, and the color display is showing the monochrome menu layout, so it's pretty useless at this time. Maybe next airware will offer more. But all the rest is fine. I like them. I would aprecciate Hall-sensors if i would keep the Tx for long time. But this days the market is changing very quick, so before my DX8 G2 gimbals will be wornout i will get a new Tx for some reason i guess.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’d buy a NX8 if...
-Smooth, Hall Gimbals
-Firmware is solid like the DX series today, not the fiasco that is the iX series.

But I already switched away from Spektrum, they lost me when the pushed out this summer’s iX12 firmware causing crashes every time I used it. Same thing with the SPM4651T firmware, buggy. They can test their stuff on someone else...
Old 10-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Being another who jumped ship from Spektrum due to the iX12, I no longer consider Spektrum for my radio system, and am more than happy with my new Jeti.

Looking at this radio, it does appear as though they’ve attempted to dial down the operating system enough to be stable. At least that’s what I hope they did, cause the user interface looks pretty plain & stripped down to me, almost like a black & white display that’s been colorized. Odd screen size too - almost like they got a deal on the screen from an old cell phone manufacturer. Ergonomics on the other hand look great, and im sure this will be a comfortable radio to use. I always thought Spektrum was one of the most comfortable radios to hold, with great switch locations.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, it appears to be the current UI being used on the DX line with a four color display rather than B/W, but this is fine and much better than the failed Android attempt.

The pre order pricing is in and the 10 with the hall effect gimbals is discounted to $500. Anyone wanting one will get the best prices on the first release and then they will raise them $50-$100 shortly after as they always do when new models are released.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?q=spm_nx_fam

Im still using my several year old, first release silver DX9 because it just works. Im a Spirit FBL guy and the integration is clunky between Spektrum and the unit as it is with any other integrated FBL unit brand, but it does work and it great for quick tuning changes of all parameters at the field if needed. All telemetry is already handled by the FBL unit and works great so there is zero need for one of their ESCs. One of the new Spek TX models would give me nothing more than I already have now

On the other hand Spirit has a partnership with Jeti and a FBL unit with the Jeti RX integrated into a single unit. I can get a 16 channel, full color screen Jeti with hall effect gimbals, all the needed apps already built in and ton more features and configurability of the unit plus a very slick and purposeful integration between the two capable of setting the entire FBL unit up on the TX if I wished for $580.

Its the exact same ecosystem concept they are building, but using much better and higher quality hardware throughout the entire model for what is essentially the same price or less as what fully equipping a model in all Spek gear would be

Its a no brainer for guys like me and I will likely join many others and finally jump ship from Spek on my next build whatever it may be, but my trusty old DX9 has served me well

Last edited by Xrayted; 10-17-2020 at 08:48 AM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Its a no brainer for guys like me and I will likely join many others and finally jump ship from Spek on my next build whatever it may be, but my trusty old DX9 has served me well
Yeah, Once I made the decision to leave Spektrum for Jeti, and saw how much customization was possible, I knew I made the right decision. The DS-12 isnít a radio ill be growing out of - but growing into.

The telemetry & integration features are second to none, and literally every aspect of the radio can be custom tailored to the user, right down to switch types & locations.
Xrayted likes this.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Can we please hear some information or comments about the radio this thread is supposed to be about? How about I drop in on your Jeti threads and start carping like you are doing here? By all means, bring some information to the table about the NX radios or leave your baggage at the door. This is getting really old.

Don

PS: I own and operate Spektrum radios from the DX4E up to the DX18 and iX12 and I have only once been prevented from using one helicopter model as I forgot to bring my computer 1000 miles from home when I needed to restore that model from a backup. That's once in over ten years so what's your problem?
MikelG and Cyclone7 like this.
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fair enough. This thread is for the new NX series radios, which is what we should be talking about, and apologize for having a part in taking the discussion off-topic.

I am genuinely curious to see more of the operating system, and if its just a colorized version of the DX interface, or a very scaled back Android based system.

If its the former, and has positive reviews once released to the general public, I’d consider owning it to have something for the BNF stuff & as a loaner for teaching friends how to fly.

Ill wait for a few months after release though - pre-ordering and getting a first release was I think where I went wrong, as it essentially makes you an uncompensated beta tester.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's definitely not fancy enough to be Android.

Looks like their traditional AirWare system on a new screen, which I think is a good thing.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the market for a TX, so this may meet my needs. Comments below on alternatives and competition is fair to post, since this model is entering someone else's market, to a degree.
I have a DX7g2 and 6 iKON'd helis. Starting from scratch, and wanting to avail myself of all these systems have to offer, an A vs B comparison would be appropriate. But like many others, I start from an existing fleet, so identifying my needs, then determining the cost/benefit of my alternatives is my next step.
I am getting into bigger helis and want telemetry to at least monitor and report on my battery. I don't mind using my pc to setup the FBL, except changing gain via TX would be nice. Any other telemetry info I might should consider?
So, using Spektrum and iKONs, what is needed along with the NX10 to accomplish my needs?
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I guess a lot is going to depend on your mix of ESCs. A large portion of the information that we gather and use is from the various ESCs we use. HW, Spektrum, Castle, etc. all have data that can be sent from our helicopters to our transmitters.

Some require an adaptor (Castle Spektrum Telemetry Link) to get the information to a remote (4649T) that can then get the information to our transmitter. Some need only to have the SRXL2 4651T connected to the gyro in order to be received by our transmitters. If you have an older system that you don't desire to upgrade to SRXL or SRXL2, then the much older TM1000 can still do the job for you and will allow communication with Castle ESCs via the Castle Spektrum Telemetry Link.

I think you need to list out what your ESCs are. The iKON2 is able to use a number of different ESCs and get the telemetry information to your radio but I am sure that you will need at least the SRXL protocol and the 4649T. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in