Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

kinda reminded me of phone operation. Does it auto-sleep if not connected to a model for so many minutes?
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
kinda reminded me of phone operation. Does it auto-sleep if not connected to a model for so many minutes?
yes it has an option to auto sleep and you can set the minutes. mine is set for 10 min currently. you can choose 1min, 5 min, then 5 min increments up to 30 mins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191008_162347.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	819415  
fiddle likes this.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

First impressions are very good for this radio... ok it takes a couple mins to start up but I can’t see it being an issue with being able to put it into sleep mode between flights

It feels very high end and comfy to hold and it’s build to a high quality standard for sure..

I need to set it up to both my helis this weekend so I’ll have a better idea of how it performs once I’ve set it all up properly and actually used it to fly

My first impressions are very positive
Indokast likes this.

DX7, TP820CD, Pheonix, Thunder power G6 Lipos
stanley1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I have had my iX12 for a while now and have taken some time to figure some of the software out. I am truly impressed on how it all works. I just have a few things to get down in model settings etc. For me it feels better in my hands than my DX9 and so far it works perfectly.
I am glad I did not get it when it first came out with the struggle of the problems before the 14 different software updates. Reading through them all you can see how many fixes and improvements have been made. I am sure there are more to come. There were quite a few used one popping up which I am sure because of the bugs and the learning curve. It probably should not have been released until 2019 with the newer updates....there would have been more happier customers. We are all beta testers and stuff is truly learned in the field.
I have learned in certain menus you need to touch and hold to get it to move to the next screen and some you just touch it lightly. (The touch lightly one are in model adjust) If you touch them hard or hold them it doesn't respond. Touch them soft and quick and it works.
It just needs getting familiar with. I love the thing now after spending some time learning it.
Spektrum is in my opinion heading in the right direction with all the smart technology ESC's, Receivers, Batteries and the new 6250 HX Flybarless Controller. All are going to have full integration and be all setup thru your G2 Spektrum transmitters.

I am very happy with this radio and I am no android expert , I did not use a cell phone until about two years ago.

Tom
Indokast likes this.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

glad to hear you all are enjoying it so far. I only recently received mine as well so I was fortunate enough to miss the buggier days and frequent updates.

I have actually only flow 2 flights since I got mine but both were incredibly precise and flawless also. I really like the feel of the gimbals. My absolute favorite thing which is new for spektrum is to be able to program any text to speech to any any switch. I can now customize every switch with whatever I want it to say relatively easily and it's all touch screen so much more convenient than trying to type it all in with a scroll wheel. Having so many helis and different fbl systems sometimes when I get back to an old heli I have forgotten what buttons do what for sure. My 230s night for example. Did I set up safe on a second switch and if so.. which switch position is stability mode turned on etc. Before I'd have to go back into tx settings and even experiment with flight before I'd know for sure. However with ix12.. let's say that 230s is the one heli I have where I put safe on a separate switch and I decided to reverse the switch so full agility is with the switch all the way up. well now I can program that switch, say c or d switch, to do the safe stuff and I can text to speech each position of that switch to say stability, intermediate, and agility mode the way I want to. So a year from now when I dust off the 230s night and I'm like.. damn what switch does safe or did I even split it up? all I have to do is flip switches after I load 230s and when I hit switch C let's say.. it will say "safe mode stability" "safe mode intermediate" or "safe mode agility" and I will know instantly and for sure. Or I can have it say "Noob level beginner" "Noob level intermediate" "Noob level pro!" if I wish instead haha.

with many custom setups for various models this is handy. I loaded my first multirotor the other day and it has throttle cut but throttle hold is not in flight mode setup menu like it is in a heli setup. So I put throttle cut where my throttle hold usually is and where I usually put throttle cut (yes I use 2 switches for safety on my helis) I can say "switch inactive" when I hit it if I wanted to remind me it does not prevent a spool up and catch me offguard.

I can also email myself pics of my helis from my phone to be used as the icon for each loaded model which is cool. my only complaint with that is that I usually have to crop the picture a lot to get it to fit (likely file too large) and its hit or miss to get it right but you can if you are patient. there is probably a better way to do this but that's just how I've done it so far. I also like the custom wallpaper if you want one.

don't get me wrong I still love my dx9 but ix12 is quickly winning me over at this point. I come from a google/android background however and I imagine iphone/apple users may be more frustrated with it for that reason.

Last edited by Indokast; 10-13-2019 at 10:14 AM..
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

if anyone is interested I made a (way too long) video with me running my mouth while setting up a template for helicopters on my ix12. A template is an easy way to have a good starting point for future helicopter models in your tx. I do just the basic stuff and show how I like my tx setup as a starting point but if you have never seen the airware menus and options in the ix12 it may be worth a watch. I apologize if anything is incorrect in the video as I am new to the tx but wanted to share in case any are curious. it's just raw phone footage. no editing etc but turned out ok. I also have never used telemetry on any heli I've owned yet so no telemetry stuff in the vid. just a heads up. I'm kind of old school with mostly 380mm on down. If the components don't get too hot, it flies well, and I can land it by 3.5 mins or so.. I'm happy lol.

setting heli template ix12 (27 min 10 sec)
fiddle likes this.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going to watch this video later ... I am mildly interested in this transmitter...
XL Power Specter 700
Old 08-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got an iX12 this summer and have been flying most of my helis with it. There were and remain a few niggling issues and I haven't tried out all its capabilities yet, but so far it has been a competent transmitter. I like that:
  1. you can customize voice prompts and commands.
  2. programming is easier than previous radios I've owned.
  3. it has a bright and colourful touch screen.
  4. speaker is loud enough.
  5. Gimbal adjustment is done without taking radio apart.
I look forward to expanding my understanding of what it can do.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how I can test every servo movement while on Hold. I don't want to sacrifice any flight modes to do that.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
but so far it has been a competent transmitter
That is the saddest review of any $650 transmitter I've ever heard.
Personally, I think the iX12 was the worst transmitter I've ever owned in the last 40 years.
The main thing was the promises that were made and the breathless hype the preceded it and then the lack of delivery on the promise.
The last kick in the nuts was the release of the iX20 followed by the Spektrum ads that refereed to the iX12 as (basically) an entry level TX.
I'm glad I kept my DX9.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

To answer the question of how to create a test setup where you can test every flight mode and all servos, you only need to use one switch of your choosing to operate the Throttle Cut in the Model Adjust menu. This is not the same as the hold switch and I have all my models setup with a Hold and Kill which are two separate switches. Unlike ticedoff, I have found this to be the most versatile radio I have owned. My DX18 is a spare until I need more than 10 channels on a helicopter (I use 11ms on pretty much every helicopter and some gyros require it). Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
That is the saddest review of any $650 transmitter I've ever heard.
Personally, I think the iX12 was the worst transmitter I've ever owned in the last 40 years.
The main thing was the promises that were made and the breathless hype the preceded it and then the lack of delivery on the promise.
The last kick in the nuts was the release of the iX20 followed by the Spektrum ads that refereed to the iX12 as (basically) an entry level TX.
I'm glad I kept my DX9.
With the release of the iX20, the iX12 was exposed for what it REALLY was - a beta test unit.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an iX15 Announced or released sometime soon, followed not too long after by the end of the iX12, or at least a major “V2” hardware update.

The android hardware on the iX12 is simply not powerful enough to be reliable.

I had an iX12, after 3 months I went back to a DX9, and just recently ditched Spektrum altogether in favor of Jeti.

Spektrum is a decent company - but the iX12 was a turning point for me. Once I realized I was providing free beta testing at the expense of my overall enjoyment of the hobby, not to mention wondering each time i turned on the radio if it would be a “good day” or a “bad day” - something had to change.

Last edited by wkderf; 09-13-2020 at 09:41 AM..
wkderf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2020, 10:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkderf View Post
With the release of the iX20, the iX12 was exposed for what it REALLY was - a beta test unit.
I was curious, so I read the reviews for the iX20 on the Google store. I’m not sure that Spektrum is doing any better on their flagship transmitter. The hardware may be better/faster but the software is still a problem. It’s just a more expensive version of the iX12.

With my iX12, I wish I would have listened to those who were unhappy instead of the vocal few that are, or have settled. There really are better options available.
Rabid121, blarks and fiddle like this.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:28 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think its bloody great!
Simo71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2020, 04:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are the upcoming Spektrum NX series transmitters meant to replace the iX series?
Old 10-22-2020, 05:09 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

looks like they are meant to replace the DX series.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 10-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. The NX series is an updated version of the DX. It's not using an Android touch screen like the iX series.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Are the upcoming Spektrum NX series transmitters meant to replace the iX series?
Quote:
looks like they are meant to replace the DX series.
I would agree with that.
I've only seen pictures of them.
But, what is shown in the pictures displayed on their LCD looks like a DX9 that is in color and not similar to the iX12 / iX20.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an iX 12 and while I do like it I'm 50/50 on whether or not I'd make the purchase again. I like the looks of the new NX's. If I didn't already have an Ix12 I would definitely try an NX 8. I honestly don't think you can buy a bad radio these days. !!HAPPY AND SAFE FLYING TO ALL!!
all blades so far: 120sr, mCPxv2, 130X(spin8800 & DS35 with BG flip mod), 300X, 450X(H3000, H5020G, Scorpion 2221-6), DX6i, DX8, and PhoenixV4. !!!THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS SITE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
grabsomeozone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

In sleep mode I see the spektrum light on, is this mean RF still transmitting or on? I rather want it off.
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanNg View Post
In sleep mode I see the spektrum light on, is this mean RF still transmitting or on? I rather want it off.
Not sure if the TX is on or off; but that is a bug in the iX12, see RCG. I think someone called it the Orange light of doom (similar to the red ring of doom for the Xbox).

You could check by seeing if the radio connects to the last used aircraft.

If you want it off; pull the battery. The radio likely will not resume if it’s sleeping with the Orange light on. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in