Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By JWeber
  • 2 Post By xoexoe
  • 1 Post By tvoth3
  • 1 Post By tvoth3
  • 1 Post By Number
  • 1 Post By JWeber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Horus 10S Express - Which colour (color) do you like best?

The plan is the treat myself to a new transmitter this year. I currently have a Futaba T8FG, still in perfect working order, have always had Futaba and was planning on a Futaba T18SZ but recently it has been suggested that I look at the FrSky Horus 10S Express.

Prices in the UK

T18SZ - £900
Horus - £400

But to be fair, the Horus does not come with a battery or receiver like the Futaba so more accurately

Horus - £460

Still it is half the price of the T18SZ.

Couple of questions

1) Is the Horus comparable with the T18SZ or is that an unfair comparison?

2) Being of older years and more traditional, I can't say any of the three colour options for the Horus wows me - I think the T18SZ looks lovely by comparison. But at the same time, I'm not going to pay double just for looks if the two sets are comparable otherwise. Out of interest which of the three colours do you prefer - I've not seen any of them in the flesh - which I will do before I buy.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is a fair comparison between the Futaba and Horus. Both good but very different radios in how they go to market.

I actually prefer the amber with the carbon fiber in second place. I've only seen pictures though. I have a silver 12S and it's good, I just like the others better. Personal preference completely. I've heard that some people think the amber is dreadful looking.

I did update the switch nuts and stick ends on my horus to red and like it a lot better.There was no amber option when I bought mine.
nheather likes this.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
It is a fair comparison between the Futaba and Horus. Both good but very different radios in how they go to market.

I actually prefer the amber with the carbon fiber in second place. I've only seen pictures though. I have a silver 12S and it's good, I just like the others better. Personal preference completely. I've heard that some people think the amber is dreadful looking.

I did update the switch nuts and stick ends on my horus to red and like it a lot better.There was no amber option when I bought mine.
I keep flipping between the Amber and the Black. Need to see them in the flesh to be honest. The brown rubber on both seems out of place.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post
But to be fair, the Horus does not come with a battery or receiver like the Futaba so more accurately

2) Being of older years and more traditional, I can't say any of the three colour options for the Horus wows me - I think the T18SZ looks lovely by comparison. But at the same time, I'm not going to pay double just for looks if the two sets are comparable otherwise. Out of interest which of the three colours do you prefer - I've not seen any of them in the flesh - which I will do before I buy.

Cheers,

Nigel
I like Silver > Amber > Carbon, in that order.

Here's my X10S (ACCST) in silver. Looks great in my opinion! Installed are some gimbal protectors from KC3D.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7845.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	860967  
nheather and Race City flyer like this.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the (non-express) x10s in carbon. I like the look but the carbon doesn't have the switches labeled (on the non-express, haven't looked at the express) so that's a pain when setting up switches in OpenTX.
-Tom
nheather likes this.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoth3 View Post
I have the (non-express) x10s in carbon. I like the look but the carbon doesn't have the switches labeled (on the non-express, haven't looked at the express) so that's a pain when setting up switches in OpenTX.
-Tom

Aloft sells switch stickers for X10. I have them because even some of mine in Silver aren’t labeled. But I’ve been too lazy to put them on
Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Aloft sells switch stickers for X10. I have them because even some of mine in Silver aren’t labeled. But I’ve been too lazy to put them on
Good to know! Of course I'd do what you did and not put them on...
Tom
xoexoe likes this.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's all personal choice of course but the problem I have with the black is the fake carbon fibre look.

It reminds of those cheap copies of high end products that use carbon fibre decals on plastic rather than real carbon fibre like the original.

So I tend to associate it with cheap knock-off copies.

Now that you have shown me the silver I'm warming to it - I do prefer the grey rubber to the brown.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not a fan of the CF one because the CF just kinda seems cheap. I definitely prefer the silver one like xoexoe, but I got the Amber because that's all the place I got it from had, and it's kinda growing on me.
Race City flyer likes this.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Not a fan of the CF one because the CF just kinda seems cheap. I definitely prefer the silver one like xoexoe, but I got the Amber because that's all the place I got it from had, and it's kinda growing on me.
Yes, looking at the few UK based suppliers, there isn’t a lot of stock, hoping that is a Covid thing rather than business as usual. And what stock I can find is mostly amber, occasionally carbon fibre and never silver.

Which is the best range of receivers to pair up with it - should I be looking at the ACCESS Archer series?

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 06-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

For smaller helis, R-XSR is quite popular. I have it on my Oxy 2 and Oxy 4 Max. Others can comment on bigger ones, but I've heard of the X4R being popular, and possibly its R-version the RX4R.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Horses of courses.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post
It's all personal choice of course but the problem I have with the black is the fake carbon fibre look.

It's not fake the black has a real carbon fiber faceplate.

I like the black followed by silver (which has a real brushed aluminum faceplate btw)

I actually hated the CNC gimbals though and ended up downgrading them to standard M10 plastic ones. If I had it to do over I'd just get the regular X10 not the "S" version.

The MC10P gimbals make an annoyingly loud tactile "clunk" when they cross center and felt too slippery. To me the standard M10 gimbals actually feel better. They are also much easier to take apart and service. I replaced the stock bearings in the M10s with rubber shielded bearings of known quality (maybe the stock bearings are good but I wanted known quality bearings in there)

I replaced the stock 2600mah pack with one I made from Samsung 35E cells 3500mah)

Also I highly recommend this mod to the throttle axis.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=850611

The digital hall sensors *almost* fit the M10 gimbals but the corner of the PCB touches part of the gimbal mechanics, other than that the PCB fits the holder perfectly. It wouldn't be too hard for some third party to come along and make a set of sensors that would drop into the M10 because it's just a little PCB with an off the shelf chip on it.

The difference between the sensors on the M10 and MC10P is that the hall sensors in the M10 output analog voltage and the ones in the MC10P output a PWM signal. On paper the digital sensors are better because the signal has less jitter but the X10 uses ADC filtering with the analog sensors and I didn't really notice any difference.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 06-08-2020 at 01:46 AM..
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with Carbon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	880751  
Number likes this.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen people take the carbon and replace buttons knobs and rotary dial with the red versions from the silver and add red switch nuts and balance bar and it looks pretty slick.
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in