Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IX telemetry playback?

Does anyone know if the iX12 or iX20 will record telemetry data for analysis after each flight? Looks like the new NX models will not have this.

Right now I have to pull them off the FBL to my laptop when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The telemetry data on the transmitter is by and large unsupported by Spektrum. It’s only through 3rd parties that the files can be read. (And I don’t mean that they are readable in a common format either, like a CSV - comma separated value) The documentation in the iX12 does not even tell you where the files are saved...

I never got that far with the iX12. I was able to view the transmitter logs on my PC.

As a side note; If you are referring to viewing the logs on an Ikon then I’m not sure that will ever be an option on the transmitter through telemetry/integration. If your using a BT version you could at one point view the logged data on your iOS or Android device (including the iX12). The last time I tried with my phone, pretty sure it asked me to upgrade the App to view the logs. (And then I went to go plug it in.....)
Old 10-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Does anyone know if the iX12 or iX20 will record telemetry data for analysis after each flight? Looks like the new NX models will not have this.

Right now I have to pull them off the FBL to my laptop when I get home.
The iX12 / iX20 support telemetry logging that is the same as the DX's telemetry logging. I don't know how the NX does it.

The DX / iX do not receive the parameter logs from the flight controller (unless Spektrum's flight controller's have some "special sauce" that is new). If you are using the MSH Electronics flight controllers, many of the parameters that are available are not transmitted to the TX via telemetry
But, the DX / iX do support logging the telemetry data that was discovered in the TX's "Telemetry" screen that may be coming from the flight controller. That can be helpful sometimes.

The telemetry logs are stored in the iX transmitter's NVM and does not need an SD card.
You have to enable logging on a model by model basis:
In the TX's "Model setup" => "Telemetry" => "File Settings" - slide the <Enable> to on.
Then, change the "File Name" to some text string you like (I use the model name) otherwise logs from all the models will be stored in the same file.
Then, change the "Switch" from <Inhibit> to a switch you like. You could use a switch to toggle the log on/off, or use some common switch (I use "Throttle Stick", "Over", "20%").
And leave "One Time" <off>

You have a choice to download the telemetry log file:
-Download the Android "ES File Explorer" to the iX and use it to copy the TLM file from the TX's NVM to an SD (I don't like that). Then move the SD card to a PC and read the TLM files.
-Plug the TX into a Windows PC and it will show up as a new disk and is listed as "MTP USB Device".
Double click on it and it should open to Windows File Explorer and then you will see the TX's folders.

The telemetry files are stored in "MTP USB Device" => "Internal Storage" => "Download" as TLM files
But, Spektrum does not have a program that displays the log files. So, you have to download it from Spektrum Telemetry Log File Viewer
The latest is 1.22.0.55 - it was updated 4 times so far this year, so it seems like a labor of love from that guy.

The TLM file will have data for all the sensors listed on the Telemetry screen. But, the TLM Viewer may not know how to display them.
And, the the flight controller's logged parameters will not be sent to the TX so they will not be in the TLM file.
Cra-Z-1 likes this.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 10-25-2020 at 03:40 PM..
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2020, 05:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's what I was looking for, thanks for the info.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
The iX12 / iX20 support telemetry logging that is the same as the DX's telemetry logging. I don't know how the NX does it.
Great detailed info here. Wish I would have seen it before I posted a thread.
Cra-Z-1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 02:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
You have a choice to download the telemetry log file:
-Download the Android "ES File Explorer" to the iX and use it to copy the TLM file from the TX's NVM to an SD (I don't like that). Then move the SD card to a PC and read the TLM files.
-Plug the TX into a Windows PC and it will show up as a new disk and is listed as "MTP USB Device"...
... what i have done when i still had the iX12: setup BlueTooth file download on PC side (in my case macOS, automatically to fixed folder). then you are able to copy the files using "ES File Explorer" in iX12 directly via BT to PC... it's much more comfortable like this an no cable or sd card or whatsoever is needed. (the same is working for model files backups too... and in the other direction... to copy files/pics/etc to the iX12. this would be possible with WiFi too... but i had WiFi disabled by default on iX12, BT always on for earbud).

Ciao
Michael
Old 12-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
... what i have done when i still had the iX12: setup BlueTooth file download on PC side (in my case macOS, automatically to fixed folder). then you are able to copy the files using "ES File Explorer" in iX12 directly via BT to PC... it's much more comfortable like this an no cable or sd card or whatsoever is needed. (the same is working for model files backups too... and in the other direction... to copy files/pics/etc to the iX12. this would be possible with WiFi too... but i had WiFi disabled by default on iX12, BT always on for earbud).
That is basically the same as using a USB cable to the PC - except the PC is in control of copying the files to/from the iX12. The iX12 just shows up as a new drive and away you go.
And you don't have to install the adware program "ES File Explorer". "ES File Explorer" was a mess, buggy and was always trying to sell me something.
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in