Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLAZE86DUBZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default binding issues 4651 with dsmx satalight

im trying to setup a new reciever on a old helicopter when i first set it up i used the old 4649 telemetery reciever with a dsmx satalight on a brain fbl unit everything was fine and dandy well now i upgraded to the 4651 and things arnt right if i use the satalight reciever alone everything works fine but when i bind the 4651 it starts to studder has like a delay then the moter shuts down almost like a reset are these 2 componets compatable or are they fighting each other and messing everything up what am i doing wrong?
BLAZE86DUBZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The SPM4651T and the SPM4649T will both work with an Ikon2.

Keep in mind the SPM4649T is an SRXL based interface to the Ikon2 while the SPM4651T uses SRXL2

You will need to go into the Ikon settings and update the settings for the receiver. Then rebind and check the channel on the TX setup page. Make sure the channels are still mapped correctly and the travels still go to 100%

The cables look similar between the two RXs but the pin out at the receiver is changed. You’ll need to use a different cable for the new RX as well
Old 12-20-2020, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i first set it up i used the old 4649 telemetery reciever with a dsmx satalight on a brain fbl unit everything was fine
If it worked with the SPM4649T, you don't have a "Brain". You have a Brain2.
The SPM4651T uses the Spektrum SPMA3066 "SRXL2 update cable" to connect to the Brain2.

You also have to change the receiver type in the Brain Configuration app for Windows to the Spektrum SRXL2 receiver.

Lastly, do not use the push-button on the SPM4651T to bind the sat & the receiver to the transmitter. Either use the standard Spektrum bind plug plugged into the the Brain2's "4-5-6" port on power up or click the "bind" checkbox in the Brain Configuration app for Windows. Using the Spektrum bind-plug is the easiest.

Also, to be safe, I would remove the main and tail blades on the heli until you get this sorted.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got it sorted out I was using srxl instead of srxl2 but I noticed the dsmx satellite blinks every now and then it does not stay solid like the 4651 I have another heli with the same receiver but the newer satalights on it and they don't blink at all is that normal?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
but I noticed the dsmx satellite blinks every now and then it does not stay solid like the 4651 I have another heli with the same receiver but the newer satalights on it and they don't blink at all is that normal?
Which part? Blinking occasionally or staying on solid?
Not blinking and staying on solid is normal for DSMX
The old DSM2 sats blinked with a continuous and regular1 second on/off when they had a voltage drop-out and rebooted during the flight.

Also, be sure you have a DSMX sat and not an old DSM2 sat. You cannot mix a DSMX (SPM4651T) with a DSM2 sat.

Neither the old DSM2 or DSMX sats blink randomly unless there is something wrong with their cables (bad connection or frayed wires) or they are attached to a flaky flight controller or the transmitter is flaking out randomly while you are watching it.

Start logging the Fades on the iKON2 for the SPM4651T and the sat. You can play back the log to see if there are RX Fades or Sat Fades being recorded.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The dsmx satellite is blinking occasionally if I bind it alone with no 4651 it stays solid I bind it with the 4651 it blinks occasionally

Old 12-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

While binding a combination of an older 9645, a new 9746, and a 4651T to my friend's iKON2 equipped helicopter, the 9645 would blink at the start of the bind but would not remain lit afterwards. I took a spare DSMX receiver out and hooked up the 9645 to it and bound it to the model. I then took that bound remote and hooked it up to the iKON2 where it lit up properly along with the rest of the remotes. I took one of my own 9645's and bound it with no issues to the same system. I had one more remote that would not remain "bound" to that same system but worked fine with the spare receiver.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a spare dsmx satellite I tried that the light stays solid so I swapped them out all is good now I have no clue why I didn't work with the 4651 alone by itself it worked fine

torpicaltrail likes this.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will this work with the 4651 instead of the dsmx satellite?

Old 12-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

No, it is for 3.3v ONLY. If it is working correctly, the old saying goes here, Leave well enough alone. Take care.

Don
Old 12-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE86DUBZ View Post
Will this work with the 4651 instead of the dsmx satellite?

Those will work just fine, I used them for a while with the older SPM4649Ts. All the spektrum satellites run off of 3.3 volts. Just plug it into the satellite port.

The unique thing about the SPM4647 is that it has diversify and an Autobind feature. It is really intended for quads because spektrum satellites were notoriously difficult to bind to a flight controller.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm just looking for a satalight with 2 antennas on it

Old 12-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I would pick up a 9745 and install it so that the antenna extends past the body. If you don't have a spot where you can mount the remote by an edge, then get the 9746 Carbon remote and mount the remote where you have lots of space and then route the antenna lead to the edge of the chassis. I mounted my the 9746 high up on the right side of the Logo 800 chassis and routed the antenna so that it protruded the bottom right beside the rear landing gear. I mounted the 4651T on the boom just behind the canopy and used the Logo "Y" antenna mount to make a horizontal 90 out of the two antennae. With a third remote on the left side near the servo, and parallel to the ground, there should be no situation where at least two of the remotes have a clear shot to the transmitter and any time in the flight. Hope this helps.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in