Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > AccuRC Flight Sim

AccuRC Flight Sim AccuRC Flight Sim Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JimJW
  • 1 Post By BuildFlyCrashRepeat
  • 1 Post By rdlohr
  • 1 Post By rdlohr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Is anyone getting decent resolution with Oculus VR?

I'm able to get VR working with my Quest II with both the Oculus Link, and with the Virtual Desktop, but the heli resolution is poor. The heli looks fuzzy even when relatively close. It also looks enormous when close and I feel like I'm standing on a table looking down on the heli. Anyone having better luck and what specifically did you do? Any help would be appreciated.

Side note, I have to start flying ACCURC from the PC. Starting to fly from the VR desktop just leaves you with a blue screen as the sim starts but does not follow through with getting you flying.

I'm not sure at this point whether these are setup problems or whether AccuRC or Steam really has not done a bangup job integrating VR. Has any other sim done better?

Thanks
Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Rick,

I’m using a different headset a Odyssey+ so my experience might be a little different. I found that it was not really plug and play getting everything settled in. The Odyssey needed a couple extra plug-ins to get it to work. The gaming crowd is really passionate about getting these things to work, so there’s a lot of help out there but maybe not a lot here.

At the end of the day, the resolution of the Odyssey is not particularly great. What looks good on the monitor doesn’t look as good in the headset.

I saw your other post asking for some settings but also that you didn’t get a response... I’ll try to look into it tomorrow. (Off the top of my head there was some options in the VR box that starts with AccuRC in VR mode)
rdlohr likes this.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Resolution is limited by your VR headset. Be aware that there is no zoom in VR like in normal flying on a monitor, due to a fixed FOV. One thing you can do to improve things slightly is to use supersampling if your PC is up for it, but the easiest solution is to just not fly far away. I'm using an Oculus DK2 and can fly fine with it, even without supersampling.

Regarding the UI, you are correct, you hit fly and then put on your headset.

What you're describing as the heli feeling huge when up close is a technical limitation of photo scenes. As there is no depth information available for the panorama, there is no way to get a proper 3D effect in these scenes. To actually see the heli in 3D, you have to choose a 3D scenery.
Johnny31297 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
Resolution is limited by your VR headset. Be aware that there is no zoom in VR like in normal flying on a monitor, due to a fixed FOV. One thing you can do to improve things slightly is to use supersampling if your PC is up for it, but the easiest solution is to just not fly far away. I'm using an Oculus DK2 and can fly fine with it, even without supersampling.

Regarding the UI, you are correct, you hit fly and then put on your headset.

What you're describing as the heli feeling huge when up close is a technical limitation of photo scenes. As there is no depth information available for the panorama, there is no way to get a proper 3D effect in these scenes. To actually see the heli in 3D, you have to choose a 3D scenery.
Thanks. I'll choose a 3D scenery for sure. Not sure what to tweak to try the super sampling. The resolution of the Quest 2 seems far better with VR youtube videos I have watched so I think the VR headset is up to it.

Rick
Old 01-02-2021, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sure the Quest2 has no issues with resolution. It is one of the better ones on the market.
rdlohr likes this.
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SuperSampling:

Hi Rick, Try this to 'Super Sample' the resolution:

When VR starts up there is a little toolbar:
Click image for larger version

Name:	VR1.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	897927

If you go to the upper Left there is a drop down toolbar:

Name:	VR2.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	897929

"Settings" will give you access to the resolution:

(You will have to select the 'Custom' option)

Name:	VR3.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	674.7 KB
ID:	897931

Try 150% of the native resolution to start
JimJW is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
Hi Rick, Try this to 'Super Sample' the resolution:

When VR starts up there is a little toolbar:
Attachment 897927

If you go to the upper Left there is a drop down toolbar:
Attachment 897929

"Settings" will give you access to the resolution:

(You will have to select the 'Custom' option)
Attachment 897931

Try 150% of the native resolution to start
I tried the computer generated stone henge background and it did make a world of difference. I was flying much farther away with the photoscape. The resolution of the heli seemed better as well. Not sure why.

As far as the steam VR settings, the only one I have available is Startup/Shutdown. I wonder why mine is limited.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-02 120907 Steam VR Settings.png
Views:	290
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	897949  
Old 01-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’m sure the reason is because I’m using a Windows Mixed Reality headset not the Oculus that you have...
Old 01-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
I’m sure the reason is because I’m using a Windows Mixed Reality headset not the Oculus that you have...
It turns out it adds more options when the headset is attached and functional. I tried changing the resolution as you described and it had no impact at all, even when I ran it way up and pulled it way back. My Quest2 resolution is 1832 x 1920 natively, by the way. The closest I can get to matching that is 1832 x 1904 with Steam VR.

Unless I can resolve this, I don't feel Accurc/SteamVR on the Quest2 is really ready for prime time. Hopefully there is either something I can do to resolve it or the software will evolve to be better for VR. It's flyable, but it's too easy to lose orientation due to the blurriness. It's also teaching me to fly too close to myself which is negative training IMHO. I think it could be awesome, but as it is, not so much. I'll sim on my big screen or my 32" computer monitor.

Rick
scorlett likes this.

Last edited by rdlohr; 01-04-2021 at 06:58 PM..
Old 01-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The more I look into it, the more it looks like a steamVR problem. I see others complaining about the same thing that don't even run AccuRC so it looks like once a Steam fix is in place things may get better. I just loaded the latest and greatest steamVR. We'll see how that works out.

Rick
Old 04-17-2021, 04:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
The more I look into it, the more it looks like a steamVR problem. I see others complaining about the same thing that don't even run AccuRC so it looks like once a Steam fix is in place things may get better. I just loaded the latest and greatest steamVR. We'll see how that works out.

Rick
Has anything changed since you last post? I am looking at getting a Quest 2 mainly for AccuRC, but I don't want to spend all that money if it is not going to work well. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks,

Ants
Ants is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ants View Post
Has anything changed since you last post? I am looking at getting a Quest 2 mainly for AccuRC, but I don't want to spend all that money if it is not going to work well. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks,

Ants
Hi Ants.

I have not spent much more time researching this since the previous posts. The new version of Steam didn't resolve it. I'm personally not using my Quest 2 for simming. Between lags and resolution its just not anywhere close to the experience I get simming on my 130" projection screen so I prefer that. Even the fact that I can't start AccuRC from the headset without being required to take off the headset and press keyboard keys just suggests VR is not a prime consideration for the developers.

Some may like it but I personally do not. I can't say that I'm sure where the problem lies. Some have said resolution of the hardware but I'm still skeptical since native content looks fine.

I do use the Quest 2 for games like Beat Sabre and for VR you tube stuff. The $300 to get in the door with VR was well worth it for me for that content alone. It's a cool technology and it's only going to get better and better.

Hope that helps or others can chime in that have had a better experience.

UPDATE: I just reloaded everything to get the latest and greatest software and tried again. I can fly the heli as long as I keep it relatively close and if I really concentrate on knowing the orientation of the heli. I say that because the resolution is not good enough for my eyes to be sure of the orientation. Although you do similar things in real life flying, then its only when the heli is very far out. With this you have to fill in the gaps even with the heli relatively close. I welcome anyone to tell me my setup must be wrong and what I need to do to fix it.

I also figured out why Stonehenge looks better. It's simply because it forces you to fly closer to yourself.

Rick
Ants likes this.

Last edited by rdlohr; 04-17-2021 at 07:43 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in