Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr.Ben

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Disappointed with futaba USA

Like the title says I'm annoyed with futaba USA service. A little over a month ago I broke the antenna on my T8FG. I contacted the customer service twice about trying to get a part number for a replacement antenna because I didn't see any on their website. No one ever got back to me! After a search on Helifreak I learned that futaba USA will not sell you a replacement antenna, you have to send your radio in for service. Anyhow I hot glued the broken antenna in place and continued to use my transmitter. In the meantime I was able to order a Futaba replacement antenna from a hobby shop from another country. I'm providing a link for anyone else who needs a antenna.
https://www.1001modelkits.com/rc-spa...8fg-F1467.html
I'm also looking to upgrade to a 16SZH. I will be buying it from RC Japan because it's cheaper and you're not being forced to buy a $200 receiver, especially if also thinking about a CGY-760R. Now I know I won't have a warranty buying a transmitter from RC Japan, But the US warranty don't help you when you send a transmitter in twice for the same problem and you end up throwing it in the trash because they didn't fix it. To be fair, this was when Great Planes had the US distribution for Futaba. However I don't have much faith in getting any electronic equipment repaired under any circumstances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201013_155801295.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	885195  
Robbe Futura Sport, YS61S/Hatori SB-10, fully functional shelf queen.

Last edited by Family Guy; 10-13-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Family Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2020, 04:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't help with the warranty aspect, but if you're looking to upgrade to 16SZ and a CGY760R, I STRONGLY recommend waiting a few months and getting a 16IZ that's just been unofficially announced. It's like the baby brother to the 32MZ with CGY760 integration.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneHazza View Post
I can't help with the warranty aspect, but if you're looking to upgrade to 16SZ and a CGY760R, I STRONGLY recommend waiting a few months and getting a 16IZ that's just been unofficially announced. It's like the baby brother to the 32MZ with CGY760 integration.
Thank you, I didn't know about the 16IZ.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good advice Harry and more info for you Marc here. Gyro integration is coming
FUTABA 16IZ. : ?????????????????
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah as far as I can tell, it's basically the 16SZ with 32MZ styling, USB C port, LiPo, CGY760R integration, but no Telemetry on the top display (gotta love marketing...).
Old 10-22-2020, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also, may be a minor point but if the TX does not have an FCC ID label on it you cannot legally use it in the US. Likely not an issue since the FCC is not proactive on this issue. Hoever, if you have an accident and it ends up in court it will not work in your favor flying an illegal radio.

Not saying don't do it, just thought it was worth being aware of the other potential downside.
Futaba 32MZ/18MZ/18SZ/16SZ - CGY760 and 755
Phaedrus is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry about your luck! Theyíve always responded to me even if itís not what I want to hear.

My radio had a glitchy potentiometer and wasnít under warranty being I didnít buy from a dealer. Even though it was a new radio, I told them I donít care about the warranty, I just need it fixed. They replaced the potentiometer for free although I think itís only a $12 part. I just paid shipping to them.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneHazza View Post
Yeah as far as I can tell, it's basically the 16SZ with 32MZ styling, USB C port, LiPo, CGY760R integration, but no Telemetry on the top display (gotta love marketing...).
I saw it, I'd like to hold one before considering it. The current SZ line the gimbals are set so far in the case that for pinch flying like I do, my fingers run into the edges all the time and its very annoying. I got rid of my Futaba radio simply because of it. It looks like they opened up the inside corners a little more so I'm hoping that my fingers won't hit the case. The integration to 760 is good step and the price point seems very reasonable.

Still buyin' and flyin', then crashin' and cryin'.
RappyTappy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just saw this thread, but I figured I would add a few things for the greater knowledge base. I cannot make any excuses for an overlooked reply to a customer inquiry. If those occur, message me, and I'll either answer the question myself or get it answered for you.

Futaba USA will pretty much sell you any part on the radio EXCEPT anything dealing with the RF section due to liabilities of having the customers service anything associated with the RF deck. Yes I know it's a simple antenna, but that is their policy.

Regarding purchasing from RCJ, buying a transmitter from them is far more perilous than simply having no warranty support. I you happen to be shipped a tx with no FCC label as Phaedrus mentioned, Futaba USA cannot service the tx. When you do need service, you will be forced to deal directly with Futaba Japan. You'll pay minimum $75-100 in shipping alone one way just to get the radio to them. The same rules apply to the rx-equipped CGY760R; it must carry an FCC sticker.

Finally, previous tangible differences in price between product bought from RCJ and a US dealer have been virtually nullified by the fact that RCJ only ships via FedEx due to Covid regulations. In one recent example, a guy ordered an OS55Z thinking the price was really good. It was until he paid literally half as much for shipping as the engine cost. Even small items like receivers and servos represent little cost savings once you add up card fees and the mandatory FedEx shipping.

Ben MInor
Chuck Bole and Ah Clem like this.

Last edited by Dr.Ben; 01-05-2021 at 09:06 PM..
Dr.Ben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ben View Post
Even small items like receivers and servos represent little cost savings once you add up card fees and the mandatory FedEx shipping.

Ben MInor
Thank you for your input. However I have purchased things from RC Japan in the past and I've saved a substantial amount of money on things like servos. But I have to ask why are we being gouged in the US for some particular servos. For example the BLS 276 SV is sold by RC Japan for 10,850 Yen or $105 US dollars but yet in the United States it's sold for $179.99? As far as trying to get something fixed in the US haha those days are over they just throw it out and sell you a new one. The old timers is that could fix this stuff are gone, and nobody new is coming in to fix this stuff. Servos, transmitters, gyros, etc. are all just disposable items.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in